SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:11 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danilonc View Post
Hey guys, I bought the Bixler 1 and I have a simple question: Should I glue the piece of foam that go over the wingspar? I will use a tape over there, but I don't know if a have to glue it too.

And the servos... is the same case. Glue or just tape?

I bought epoxy 6 miniutes glue.

tks!!!
glue the cover in place AFTER you put the spar in to determine where the cover should be placed. Then, remove the spar and finish CAing the spar cover.
With servos, I suggest that you simply use a dollop of hot glue to hold them in place. If you ever need to replace them, it is very easy to pry them out and do the same thing with a new servo.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:20 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
The first SS I had was the "Blitzrc works" version 3 from Banna Hobby and it had those little 'stops' with a screw that tightens down on the rod, no threads. Big trouble, too tight and they strip, too loose and the rod slips in the stop. # crashes due to those.
DJ
I am still using those!! Many many many flights later they are fine, BUT, I did replace the stock screws with some hardened allen head screws.
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:29 AM
Joined Sep 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
glue the cover in place AFTER you put the spar in to determine where the cover should be placed. Then, remove the spar and finish CAing the spar cover.
With servos, I suggest that you simply use a dollop of hot glue to hold them in place. If you ever need to replace them, it is very easy to pry them out and do the same thing with a new servo.
AJ
If I need to replace the servos, with hot glue, it would be easy to take it out. But the cover will be glued and the servo wires will be in there, so, in this case, should the cover be removed?
danilonc is offline Find More Posts by danilonc
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:36 AM
Joined Sep 2012
4 Posts
I saw guys who glued just one side of the wing spar, Is it necessary?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:42 AM
Parma, Ohio
Joined May 2010
285 Posts
Quote:
If I need to replace the servos, with hot glue, it would be easy to take it out. But the cover will be glued and the servo wires will be in there, so, in this case, should the cover be removed?
This is how I set mine up as I also was concerned about having to replace a servo and would have a problem with the wires. I used this method and have not had a bit of problems as of this date and many flights. If I have to replace a servo, it will be a piece of cake. BTW the reason the end that comes out of the cover on the inboard side is short is that I then plug that connector into the mating "Y" connector embedded into the fuse. That mod is also on page 1 as well as this one.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2433

Ron
Ron RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron RC
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:20 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
servos

A little trick i learned{from this thread},is to wrap the servo in painters tape,only one wrap mind you, and make sure you can peel back the tape on the servo, should you have to get it out with out a problem.
The reason i do this is, once the servo is out, all is left to do is to get the tape off and the dollup of hot glue,hope that helps.

Limted

P.S. If their are some folks out there that does not under stand me explanation of this,i will try and re word it.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:36 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
I use that two-sided red gel tape to mount servos in Bixlers, SkySurfers etc. A long, steady pull gets them out if/when needed. Have had zero problems in flight, on the bench etc.

Actually the gel tape itself isn't red, it's clear and colorless. But the plastic strips on either side to protect the adhesive when it's on the roll, are red, so the tape looks red until you peel off the strips to use it.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:55 AM
Joined Sep 2012
4 Posts
I'm sad!! When I finish my plane, I used epoxy to glue the stock motor mount, but It was crooked ...

Help me please, I have to remove the epoxy? how?

Any ideia?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:14 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jul 2006
177 Posts
Flew my bixler last night for the 3rd time, this time i attached my 808 camera

its been really really windy here in the UK so ive had to be patient

i shouldn't of really flown last night as i worried i would lose my plane but its been over a week since i was last out so decided "what they hell""

mudcow007 is offline Find More Posts by mudcow007
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:29 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Can I save this Lipo ?

I flew again today. Everything went well until I tried practicing barrel rolls in the wind. The plane will fly again (after a little CA, Hot Glue, Carbon and time )

The LiPo got a little accordioned. Can I still use it ? should I charge it to see if it is alright ?

Thanks for the expert advice.
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:52 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
I flew again today. Everything went well until I tried practicing barrel rolls in the wind. The plane will fly again (after a little CA, Hot Glue, Carbon and time )

The LiPo got a little accordioned. Can I still use it ? should I charge it to see if it is alright ?

Thanks for the expert advice.
No way would I use that battery. IF you do choose to try it, charge it outside in a safe place!! I would replace it though, as it could turn your plane into a flaming inferno!
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:56 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Thanks.

After I posted, I called a local expert and he told me to dispose of it (Bucket of Salt Water to short it out). The risk is greater than I want to take.

Oh well. Live and learn.
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:40 PM
UAV Operator
Brazil, SP, Caraguatatuba
Joined Jun 2012
176 Posts
Hi!
I'm finishing build of the my Bixler (rev. 1). It's my first plane and build.

I go with motor B2835, 2200kv inrunner, and 6x4 or 6x5 prop. A HK 40/45 ESC, will support these setup?

I have another HK 60A, but it's so huge!! Because, I thinking fix ESC central fuselage, foward motor.

Some pics:

Thanks for any help.
ECODRONES is offline Find More Posts by ECODRONES
Last edited by ECODRONES; Sep 21, 2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:08 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Hi guys, need some help.
I got this motor Firepower 400 Sport (2830-11) from HeadsupRC and APC 8x4 prop and I am very disappointed as the motor is way, way to weak for my 48oz Sky Surfer and totally unbalanced :-(
any suggestion for out runner to run similar prop?
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Jun 2012
191 Posts
Epoxy Removal

Quote:
I'm sad!! When I finish my plane, I used epoxy to glue the stock motor mount, but It was crooked ...

Help me please, I have to remove the epoxy? how?

Any ideia?
Hi danilonc! Try picking off the epoxy with a hobby knife like a dentist would with plaque. You may heat up the tip of your hobby knife over a candle light to work on the more troublesome bonds. Of course, be extra careful not to melt your foam and have your knife's handle well wrapped with some padding so you won't be affected by the heat. -Seba
Sebastian_BHcsr is offline Find More Posts by Sebastian_BHcsr