SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:57 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRaLeSD View Post
Hello! I have just purchased a Bixler 1, just the kit and I bought these electronics:

Motor: NTM Prop Drive 28-36 2200KV / 696W
ESC: TURNIGY Plush 40amp Speed Controller
Battery: Turnigy nano-tech 5000mah 3S 25~50C Lipo Pac
Servo: Turnigy MG90S Metal Gear Servo 1.8kg / 13.4g
Prop: TGS Sport 6x4E Precision propeller

Now I am going to built it, change the stock carbon to bigger adding to tail and the bottom of the plane etc.
I am planing to use this plane for FPV. Are these components good? I have seen a very good video with
this motor and 3s Battery!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krTzT6Ss9W0&feature=plcp

Now I am trying to see how to mount the wings without gluing them to the frame. Has seen many tutorials
from people here so I will do something from here. I will upload my photos soon!
Unless you are going to use this plane for FPV, the LiPo you chose is about twice as big as needed.
Keep in mind that you will be limited to 310w (Maximum) with that setup. It will fly ok. But, as just an airplane, it will be a lot heavy with that LiPo and no where near the 696w that is posted (as you have it configured).
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:02 PM
^(_MăĻēŜĐ_)^ ЯuĽe U
Greece, Attica, Elefsina
Joined Sep 2010
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Unless you are going to use this plane for FPV, the LiPo you chose is about twice as big as needed.
Keep in mind that you will be limited to 310w (Maximum) with that setup. It will fly ok. But, as just an airplane, it will be a lot heavy with that LiPo and no where near the 696w that is posted (as you have it configured).
AJ
Hello, thanks for answering! The guy in the video uses 2x Zippy Contact 3s 4000mAh and gets this kind of flying.
I guess that I don't need the 4s setup to get 600+ watts, would be pretty overpowered! And the battery is gonna be used for FPV after the first flying!
MoRaLeSD is offline Find More Posts by MoRaLeSD
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined May 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Sure. dLRK, Delta, modified Delta, etc. there are many choices. However, continuing this discussion would be too far off topic. Google those that I gave you and you will find tons of information on motor winding.
AJ
I have googled it and everything I read about DLRK or winding period says that ABCABCABC is the way to wiNd a 9 tooth 12 magnet motor. I have read til my eyes crossed and can't find how you do dlrk with this motor
mozzartusm is offline Find More Posts by mozzartusm
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:29 AM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,260 Posts
Hey i will be receiving a SS from a friend soon (its V2 or above from my understanding) and i have been looking through the mod page. I can handle pretty much all of them, i am just confused on fuse reinforcement for the V2 or above. I want to make a small FPV backpack to go on it sometime, so i assume i want to do some sort of reinforcement, but i would also like to keep it light so i can do a little sloping if i get the chance. I have experience flying so thats not a problem. Just looking for input Also, any other mods that are recommended other than the wing spar/fuse reinforcement and something to hold the wings together?

Thanks,
-Seth
nightfox7 is online now Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:11 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101
Hi guys,
Just letting everyone know that the BIXLER2 KIT is now available in the international warehouse!!

LURCH
Well, I took the plunge. My BIXLER 2 should arrive pretty soon from the International Warehouse!

Lurch, any guesses about the shipping time via EMS Express, to San Diego, CA USA 92129?
One of the best things about the early SkySurfer, was that the pushrod housings ran along the outside of the fuselage, serving as excellent fuselage-strengtheners. Where I come from, the traditional way to total a model was to catch a wingtip on landing, whip around, and snap off the fuselage behind the wing. If you glue the pushrod housings all the way on one of these foam planes, it's a lot less likely to snap off the fuse.

I'm not sure, but from looking at the photos of the Bixler-2, it seems to me that the pushrods run along the outside of the fuselage. Anybody know if that's so?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...laps_KIT_.html

Little-Acorn is online now Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:48 PM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Quote:
....I'm not sure, but from looking at the photos of the Bixler-2, it seems to me that the pushrods run along the outside of the fuselage. Anybody know if that's so?....
Little-Acorn

I've got the latest Bixler that looks like the picture you have. The rudder and elevator linkages run on the outside of the fuse. I was surprised that the nose was so deep. You can stuff a 3s2200 way way forward. ( I like to do this because of the gusty winds I encounter flying in the desert. Now I just put the batteries there out of habit.) I'm running the totally stock system as I received it and it flies really nice. Ya the linkages look a tad weak, but the way I fly, short of a catastophic event they should be fine for me. The bottom line is, compared to the earlier models, this one has a lot of room inside and flies great.

Jack
jpgcag is offline Find More Posts by jpgcag
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:22 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgcag View Post
Little-Acorn

I've got the latest Bixler that looks like the picture you have. The rudder and elevator linkages run on the outside of the fuse. I was surprised that the nose was so deep. You can stuff a 3s2200 way way forward. ( I like to do this because of the gusty winds I encounter flying in the desert. Now I just put the batteries there out of habit.) I'm running the totally stock system as I received it and it flies really nice. Ya the linkages look a tad weak, but the way I fly, short of a catastophic event they should be fine for me. The bottom line is, compared to the earlier models, this one has a lot of room inside and flies great.

Jack
Jack, WAY cool. Did you get the version that came with servos and motor? (I ordered the bare kit, no servos or motor etc.) What's the all-up flying weight of yours, with battery, propeller, etc.?

Did you get it from HK's "international warehouse"? How long did it take to deliver, after you gave them the order for it?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:09 PM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Quote:
Jack, WAY cool. Did you get the version that came with servos and motor? (I ordered the bare kit, no servos or motor etc.) What's the all-up flying weight of yours, with battery, propeller, etc.?

Did you get it from HK's "international warehouse"? How long did it take to deliver, after you gave them the order for it?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Little-Acorn

I got the ARF version from HK's International store that had everything on it except for the tailfeathers. It arrived here in Washigton about 13 days after it was ordered, which is really fast! I'll have to weight it once I get home to see how heavy it is.

Hope this helps.
Jack
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:12 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgcag View Post
Little-Acorn

I got the ARF version from HK's International store that had everything on it except for the tailfeathers. It arrived here in Washigton about 13 days after it was ordered, which is really fast! I'll have to weight it once I get home to see how heavy it is.

Hope this helps.
Jack
Sure does, thank you!

Did they send it to you by "EMS Express"?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:58 PM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Quote:
Sure does, thank you!

Did they send it to you by "EMS Express"?
I'll Have to look at the box when I get home if my wife didn't pitch it out already. Also I must have left my scale at my home in Yuma, so I'll have to bring my plane to work on Monday and use the UPS scale here.

The employees get a kick out of seeing the old guy come in to work with a new plane. (I think most think I'm going through my second childhood? Maybe I am, but this time I'm a whole lot better financially prepared!)

Edit: I'm home now it came Air parcel post for about $30. Cleaver these Chinese, they took the Bixler box top, turned it inside out, put all the additional stuff that I ordered inside the bottom box and sealed everything up. All contents came through with flying colors. No damage at all. I guess you get lucky every once and awhile.

Jack
Last edited by jpgcag; Sep 15, 2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:19 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
On Friday I had my maiden flight. I had some help from local expert (past champion with power gliders). The third flight I decided to "Fly it like I stole it". Had a very hard landing that broke the elevator servo, one clevis and wing rod ( it was reinforced with a carbon fiber tube and bamboo skewers). I had to buy a 8mm fiber rod locally (x6 the cost of HK), I replaced the servo and jerry-rigged the clevis.

I went flying again today. My expert was busy so he came an hour and a quarter late. Unable to wait, I flew by my self. It was sloppy but fun. No crashes, a couple of the landings were a bit hard. No damage. I am officially hooked.

I need to replace the clevis. If I can fit the replacement clevis on the stock control rod, I can use it. If not I need to get a replacement. (my expert tells me that the control rods are not standard)

What clevis or clevis/push-rod pair is appropriate? This clevis ?

Or this lightweight one ? Do I CA them to the stock rod ?

Thanks to everyone for all the help. Without you guys I would have never gotten into the air.

Shimmy
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Jan 2011
24 Posts
Second Sky Surfer Maiden Flight!! WOOHOOO!!

Just maidened my second Sky Surfer.... Its' a V2.... The first one took so much abuse that it was easier to build a new one than to fix the old one up with any more glue.

Did all the usual mods:
carbon fibre top and bottom of fuse, full length on the bottom. Plus 3M extreme packing tape.
Carbon fibre rod in all the tail surfaces.
Carbon fibre rod epoxied in the centre of the main spar.
Rubber band wing retaining mod, with those nifty 3M plastic hooks.
Re-hinged all the control surfaces with pin hinges.
Fitted better control horns.
CG at 65mm (Thanks Mr Baker!)
6x4 Prop (Thanks again Mr Baker) actually probably thanks to Mr Baker for a few more of those mods as well.... Thanks also to all the guys on here who contributed their mods.

Modified the motor mount, making it much stronger. Used a "34mm Plumbing Stop End" It's like a little nylon cup shape. will write that up if anybody wants to know about it.

TGS 6x4E prop on the stock motor, with an 1800mAh Lipo and 25A Hobbywing Pentium ESC.... Might go to a bigger Lipo, 2200 or more as it still needed 32g added to the front end of the plane to get the CG to sit at 65mm. Bigger battery plus adding a camera would mean that the extra front weight could then come out. Even so, it flies better than the old one. Seems to be more stable. Nice relaxed flying.

Bags of power on the stock motor with the TGS 6x4E prop (actually a composite prop, by "EMP" almost identical to the TGS ones, Good props, well balanced even straight out of the bag. I like them better than equivalent APC ones.) ... Easy sustained climb, lots of speed and torque it seems to have. Motor was warm but not hot, ESC was again just warm to the touch even though it's inside the plane (bigger and better quality 25A esc not so over worked), Lipo was again just barely warm not hot. All Good!!

Didn't require even a single click of trim (never ever had that happen before on any plane) climbs nicely at WOT flies straight and level hands off at less than half throttle. No massive reaction to power on or off apart from air speed. No sudden climb or descent when the power goes on. This one seems to have hit the sweet spot that the last one missed. Damned thing didn't want to land either, floats forever.

Flew it a good 12mins, then stuck the battery back on the charger to see what it had used. Found it only needed about 990mAh to get it back to full, so 15 to 20 mins with a bit of WOT and a bit of pootling around at half throttle should be very comfortable without going into LVC.

All in all a 100% successful Maiden....

Best Regards,
Peter
peterpiper is offline Find More Posts by peterpiper
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:36 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
On Friday I had my maiden flight. I had some help from local expert (past champion with power gliders). The third flight I decided to "Fly it like I stole it". Had a very hard landing that broke the elevator servo, one clevis and wing rod ( it was reinforced with a carbon fiber tube and bamboo skewers). I had to buy a 8mm fiber rod locally (x6 the cost of HK), I replaced the servo and jerry-rigged the clevis.

I went flying again today. My expert was busy so he came an hour and a quarter late. Unable to wait, I flew by my self. It was sloppy but fun. No crashes, a couple of the landings were a bit hard. No damage. I am officially hooked.

I need to replace the clevis. If I can fit the replacement clevis on the stock control rod, I can use it. If not I need to get a replacement. (my expert tells me that the control rods are not standard)

What clevis or clevis/push-rod pair is appropriate? This clevis ?

Thanks to everyone for all the help. Without you guys I would have never gotten into the air.

Shimmy
Congratulations Shimmy, The smaller ones are what are on my B2 SS and I found that several were miscast and the pin wouldn't go thru or would come loose. So following advice I got on this board I took plastic hose like the type used for air in aquariums and cut off little pieces of it to make rings that slide over the clevises so they can't open in flight.

DJ

Name: P9164023.JPG
Views: 88
Size: 35.6 KB
Description: Name: P9164025.JPG
Views: 72
Size: 40.7 KB
Description:
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Jan 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
Hmmmm... There are no clevis fittings at all on either of the stock V2 Sky-S versions I've had. Not seen the ones you have already, so it's a bit hard to answer that entirely. But both the clevis fittings you're showing there are designed to screw onto a threaded push rod end. That way you can adjust the fixed trim just by rotating them on the end of the rod.

Not sure that helps though.....

You can get the light weight ones with a little grub screw fitting so that you can fasten them to a plain control rod with it. Don't know if HK carry them, you might get them locally.

Best Regards,
Peter.
peterpiper is offline Find More Posts by peterpiper
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:56 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Just reminder for those looking for set ups, you find it here too:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1687469

any new configurations are welcomed too :-)
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86