Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:35 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Not really, in theory same prop diameter gives same thrust, irrelevant of pitch.
So more pitch is more top speed, but you need more power to turn the higher pitch prop, and also acceleration is reduced.

Have a play with this:
http://personal.osi.hu/fuzesisz/strc_eng/index.htm

The way size props, is pick the diameter you want (largest that'll fit on your bix/ss), then size the pitch so it is nearly full rated power of motor/esc. So if your ESC can handle 200W, stay below that.
If top speed is lower than desired, then you can drop a prop size and increase pitch to stay under the motor/ESC rating. Just know that in this case, you will be sacrificing thrust with top speed.
Right. It is all GENE's fault. I used his pain killers and that endless barking of his doxies caused the mistake.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
One more Newbie question. ( I hope to maiden tomorrow).

The batteries have a power connector and a small 4 lead connector.

I know that when I charge the batteries I connect the small 4 leads to the charger.

When I have the battery installed in the plane, does it connect to anything?

Thanks

Shimmy
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:48 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
One more Newbie question. ( I hope to maiden tomorrow).

The batteries have a power connector and a small 4 lead connector.

I know that when I charge the batteries I connect the small 4 leads to the charger.

When I have the battery installed in the plane, does it connect to anything?

Thanks

Shimmy
Nope, it just lays there.

Good luck tomorow,
DJ
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:08 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jul 2006
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Nope, it just lays there.

Good luck tomorow,
DJ

ive always wondered what them 4 wires are for?

is it to tell "stuff" to the charger?
mudcow007 is offline Find More Posts by mudcow007
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
I gather that it tells stuff to the charger. I have the Accucel-6 and it knows how many cells the battery has and what the voltage of each cell. How else could it know that from the 2 power leads.
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:05 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,162 Posts
What a strange thread to bring such a discussion - all about balance leads!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:15 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
What a strange thread to bring such a discussion - all about balance leads!
He doesn't know if the 'balance' leads have a use inside the plane.

DJ
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:58 PM
Joined Feb 2012
798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcow007 View Post
ive always wondered what them 4 wires are for?

is it to tell "stuff" to the charger?
Thats the balance lead and it allows the charger to access all of the cells in your battery separately. Theres one wire for each cell and then a ground wire, so for a 3S battery you have 4 total wires.
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:19 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Some guys will hook to the balance leads for led lights on the plane
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:54 PM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jul 2006
177 Posts
guys can anyone help me...

just trying to configure a Hobbyking blue 30a ESC (with ubec) an im totally lost.

i have bound my dx6i to my orangerx 7chnl receiver this works as i can move servos etc

with the motor connected to esc i can hear very faint beeps from the motor after 5 seconds or so, these beeps get loud? then change tone

im lost.....
mudcow007 is offline Find More Posts by mudcow007
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:28 PM
Lake Havasu City AZ
Joined Feb 2009
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
This page makes it easier to understand. http://personal.osi.hu/fuzesisz/opc_eng/index.html

On that page you start with a given power and it gives a number of diameter and pitch props. In the case of two props with the same diameter, the one with the greatest pitch will certainly give greater speed. The one with the lower pitch, even though it has the same diameter, does give more thrust because the rpms go up as the pitch is reduced and the power goes into thrust rather than speed. Of course this depends a lot on the particular motor used. Some motors might not be able to produce the same power at the lower rpm due to Motor KV, prop sizes used and such.

Gord
Yes, and thank you for the good explaining. My comment was just from experience with props.
jeeper1977 is offline Find More Posts by jeeper1977
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:05 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcow007 View Post
guys can anyone help me...

just trying to configure a Hobbyking blue 30a ESC (with ubec) an im totally lost.

i have bound my dx6i to my orangerx 7chnl receiver this works as i can move servos etc

with the motor connected to esc i can hear very faint beeps from the motor after 5 seconds or so, these beeps get loud? then change tone

im lost.....
Ernie says:
To start off with make sure your esc to motor connections are good....your esc to receiver connection is in the proper channel and has the correct orientation and you throttle trim is all the way down.
Ernie is a very smart wiener dog.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:51 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Ernie says:
To start off with make sure your esc to motor connections are good....your esc to receiver connection is in the proper channel and has the correct orientation and you throttle trim is all the way down.
Ernie is a very smart wiener dog.
He is smart because he is not related to Gene in any way.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:55 PM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Just Maidened my Bixler Ver? this morning. This plane has clear canopy no pilot, and flaps with 2 screws holding the wings together. Way different than my first one.

Note: if you're going to use flaps, and you are also going to use the supplied "Y" cords, you will have to cut a new pocket for one of the flap servos. I was using a 6ch orange HK receiver, so I Y'd the ailerons on the aileron channel and Y'd the flaps on the Aux1 channel. You need to turn one of the flap servos around or otherwise you wind up with an inboard set of ailerons.

I video'd the maiden this morning, and will post it later once I remember how to edit it. Its a great flyer and super stable. Flaps worked great as well, but I need to mix in much more elevator to neutralize the pitch-up tendancy when they are lowered.

All iin all a good cheap plane. ( I don't know how long the motor, servo's and flight controls will last, but for now they're fine.

Jack
jpgcag is offline Find More Posts by jpgcag
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:01 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgcag View Post
Note: if you're going to use flaps, and you are also going to use the supplied "Y" cords, you will have to cut a new pocket for one of the flap servos.
Jack
That's why they tell you to order a servo reverser as well as the extra servos. The alternative is to rewire the inside wires of one of the servos. Four wires to be resoldered. There is a video somewhere showing how it is done.
Mac50L is online now Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention