SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:12 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcow007 View Post
that's what happens when you get excited!!
Yes, or order late at night....

Quote:
how is it over in NZ? i have family over in Christchurch who i keep threatening i might visit sometime.....
The latest noticeable earthquake was yesterday about 5 km away but only a 3. The very first one just coming on 2 years ago was a 7 and 16 km away from where I am, 20 km out of Chch. Noticed that one! It was a 6 in February the next year that knocked Christchurch down. It will be another 20 years before it is really anything like it was, though totally different if you see what I mean.

Otherwise, I think NZ is worth a visit and there is still a town here (Chch), just spread around a bit more.

The closest to Liverpool I've got is Buxton, spent a night there with relatives after touring Scotland a year or so back.

(That makes a change from discussing tape.....)
Mac50L is online now Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:34 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jul 2006
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post

It will be another 20 years before it is really anything like it was, though totally different if you see what I mean.
luckily my family were unaffected by the quakes, but they have said it will take years to make it like it was

my dad visited nz about 5 years as was really taken back by how laid back an caring people where, even complete strangers.

he said it was a fantastic part of the world
mudcow007 is offline Find More Posts by mudcow007
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:04 PM
Philippines, Central Luzon, City of San Fernando
Joined Aug 2012
33 Posts
hello everyone are these specs correct? will the plane be more stable?

2000mm SKY SURFER
Main specification
SPECIFICATION
Material: Durable EPO
- Wing span : 2000mm(78.7in)
- Length : 1350 mm(43.3in)
- Weight : 1350 g(47.6 oz.)
- height : 285mm(11.2in)
- Total surface area: approx. 46.3 dm2
- Total surface area loading: approx. 29.2g / dm2
- Transmitter : 6CH
- Servo:6*17g,1.8kg/cm,0.18s/60
- Battery : 11.1v 2200MAh(20C) Li-polymer battery
- Motor :3536-KV900 Powerful Out runner Brushless Motor
- ESC: :30A Brushless ESC
- Prop Size: 8*7 2 Blade
- CG (center of gravity): 75mm (From Leading Edge)
voltzmd is offline Find More Posts by voltzmd
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:14 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghern View Post
Thanks Gord,
Appreciate the info.
Will need to order that on-line as can't seem to find it at hardware or LHS here.

Cheers.
No problem! I have used this one> http://www.3m.com/brands/scotch/toug...ansparent.html

It is not too heavy, sticks well and has bidirectional reinforcement. Water and UV resistance is specifically mentioned in the description. I put it on the bottom of my Sky Surfer a good year ago and there seems to be no need to replace it at this time. It has not gotten gooey, or hardened at all. It can be torn by hand, but it certainly will not be torn by any loads that could be generated by control surfaces on these planes. Good luck finding these things.

Tapes can be hard to track down. I have a roll of wonderful non-reinforced almost clear tape that stretches rather than tears. And it is STRONG! It has to be cut. If it can handle UV and water and stay stuck in an outdoor environment it would make a perfect, strong hinge tape. I think it was for patching windows so it probably will do all that. But I don't remember exactly what it is or where I got it. Time to go shopping.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:43 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jul 2006
177 Posts
ive just bought some 3M "Tartan" glass reinforced tape

will that be sufficient for reinforcement ?

basically this stuff

it seems pretty strong an pretty sticky
mudcow007 is offline Find More Posts by mudcow007
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:49 AM
An Aussie in Dubai
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jan 2009
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcow007 View Post
ive just bought some 3M "Tartan" glass reinforced tape

will that be sufficient for reinforcement ?

basically this stuff

it seems pretty strong an pretty sticky
If it is the Tartan brand made in Canada, be wary - the reinforcement is not as strong as should be.
pghern is offline Find More Posts by pghern
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Jun 2012
191 Posts
Super Sky Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltzmd View Post

2000mm SKY SURFER
Main specification
SPECIFICATION
Hi voltzmd! Attached is a copy of the Sky Surfer's instruction manual. Please feel free to download a copy for viewing at your leisure. Also, you may click here for more info about the Super Sky Surfer! Thanks! -Seba
Sebastian_BHcsr is offline Find More Posts by Sebastian_BHcsr
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Aug 2011
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studawg66 View Post
I ran the Mystery 30A (actually branded Hobby King, but the exact same unit) with a 6x4 APC prop and the 2835-2200kV inrunner, which only pulled about 18A at WOT. Even with good cooling inlets and outlets this ESC would be VERY hot even with some cool down prior to landing. I am convinced that a good deal of the heat came from the linear BEC since I was running 4 HXT900s, because 18A at WOT shouldn't be any trouble at all for a 30A ESC. After about 5 or 6 flights, I began to get an occasional dropout of all control and eventually it failed alltogether. I was extremely fortunate that all of the dropouts were at low altitude and no major damage. After its last successful flight and landing I put in a new battery and the ESC was dead. Never smoked or anything like that, just quit working. Replaced it and was back in business, but was bummed to lose an ESC, so I can't recommend that Mystery one.
I bought 3 of these. One last year and two this year. All 3 of them had bec problems ... ((((
pilotonovato is offline Find More Posts by pilotonovato
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:08 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltzmd View Post

2000mm SKY SURFER
Main specification
SPECIFICATION
That is another new one! I wasn't even able to find the info you have there. The one normally seen on this thread is 1.4M. There is the new 2.4M SSS from Banana. But this 2M version I can not find for sale yet, except for in quantities of 12 (wholesale). Where have you seen it?

BTW, the 1.4M version is quite stable. This one will be bigger obviously and possibly a bit slower reacting as a result. But not necessarily.

Gord
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:33 AM
Philippines, Central Luzon, City of San Fernando
Joined Aug 2012
33 Posts
@sebastian- thanks thats for the SSS which is 2.4m wingspan.

@Gord- yup i have read almost all pages from this thread and i purchased the 1.4m SS. i'm from the Philippines and the 2.0m is available in a hobby shop here. i think its a different manufacturer also from china.

was looking at the 2.4m but i think i'm not ready for something that big yet.
voltzmd is offline Find More Posts by voltzmd
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:09 PM
Lake Havasu City AZ
Joined Feb 2009
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiciman View Post
Thanks,

You write "Quite well", could you please elaborate on the pros and cons?
A larger 8" prop will give much more thrust than the 6" SOGTO, not a problem and almost vertical performance.
What motor size do you use (I have the 3530 which is bigger and heavier than f ex the 2820).
I use a HURC speed 450 or 2830 motor.
How long flight times have you achieved?
20min turn and burn or 30min climb and glide.
What other stuff do your plane carry (FPV gear etc)?
None.
I am contemplating using the 8x4 prop, do you think it will not give enough thrust for take-off? I didn't realize it when I ordered it, but it is BIG!
A 8x4 should give more thrust than a 8x6 if it will give you enough airspeed.
jeeper1977 is offline Find More Posts by jeeper1977
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:02 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper1977 View Post
A 8x4 should give more thrust than a 8x6 if it will give you enough airspeed.
I think that is backwards. An 8x4 will deliver LESS thrust than an 8x6.
Basic rule:
More pitch = more speed
more length = more thrust.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:27 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Basic rule:
More pitch = more speed
AJ
Nope an 8x6 is more top speed slower acceleration ie less thrust, 8x4 less top speed but more thrust. Ive just learnt this with my new PA Extra 260 and running 8x5 and 8x8 three bladers on the Bix
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:46 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Basic rule:
More pitch = more speed
AJ
Not really, in theory same prop diameter gives same thrust, irrelevant of pitch.
So more pitch is more top speed, but you need more power to turn the higher pitch prop, and also acceleration is reduced.

Have a play with this:
http://personal.osi.hu/fuzesisz/strc_eng/index.htm

The way size props, is pick the diameter you want (largest that'll fit on your bix/ss), then size the pitch so it is nearly full rated power of motor/esc. So if your ESC can handle 200W, stay below that.
If top speed is lower than desired, then you can drop a prop size and increase pitch to stay under the motor/ESC rating. Just know that in this case, you will be sacrificing thrust with top speed.

Oh, and be aware that this is output power, input power will be higher, depending on motor efficiency. I think most brushless motor's are 80-90% efficency.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Last edited by sammyc; Sep 05, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:11 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Not really, in theory same prop diameter gives same thrust, irrelevant of pitch.
So more pitch is more top speed, but you need more power to turn the higher pitch prop, and also acceleration is reduced.

Have a play with this:
http://personal.osi.hu/fuzesisz/strc_eng/index.htm

The way size props, is pick the diameter you want (largest that'll fit on your bix/ss), then size the pitch so it is nearly full rated power of motor/esc. So if your ESC can handle 200W, stay below that.
If top speed is lower than desired, then you can drop a prop size and increase pitch to stay under the motor/ESC rating. Just know that in this case, you will be sacrificing thrust with top speed.

Oh, and be aware that this is output power, input power will be higher, depending on motor efficiency. I think most brushless motor's are 80-90% efficency.
This page makes it easier to understand. http://personal.osi.hu/fuzesisz/opc_eng/index.html

On that page you start with a given power and it gives a number of diameter and pitch props. In the case of two props with the same diameter, the one with the greatest pitch will certainly give greater speed. The one with the lower pitch, even though it has the same diameter, does give more thrust because the rpms go up as the pitch is reduced and the power goes into thrust rather than speed. Of course this depends a lot on the particular motor used. Some motors might not be able to produce the same power at the lower rpm due to Motor KV, prop sizes used and such.

Gord