SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:42 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
We must have different definitions of ripping a new one.
All i was really trying to say to the guy was, get off your but and do some leg work, i guess it's just me though, i have made countless trips to the hardware store to find the right "whatever".Besides, who of you out there just blindly follows the pack on other peoples random reccomendations,All i am saying is shop around were you live, and and your sure to find somthing that's gonna fit the bill.
My reply did show leg-work, hence the specific question: Storage tape or Boat tape. Perhaps you meant scotch tape.

Not all of us live near or have access to well stocked hardware stores, if fact most stores here in Canada don't have the selection you get in the US. Further, amazon.com will not ship 95% of stuff to Canada. So excuse me for wanting to get the right tape.

As an aside....I'm beginning to think you have no idea what you were talking about.

If you can't answer a specific question....what are you doing here?? Perhaps you are the one that should 'Move along' as you put it.
idletime is offline Find More Posts by idletime
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:56 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,609 Posts
The problem with ground level takeoffs is that the bixler tries to fly itself into the ground even from a hand launch if you have too much power on. So with full power it will stick to the ground and less power it will not have enough power to overcome friction.
Just hand launch with about half throttle and some up elevator and all is good.
You could put some sort of undercarriage on it.

Experimentation is an added side to the hobby..................
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:57 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
What,you don't have a canadian tire over there, if you really that in the dark about tape,try regular packing tape, or the fibre tape, both sold at canadian tire, right here in Edmonton,Alberta, CANADA.
B.T.W Both of thease are great tapes.

THIS IS FOR YOU IDLETIME
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Sep 01, 2012, 05:18 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
NO offence but I think some of you lot behave like children......in fact....no, thats an insult to my children.
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Sep 01, 2012, 05:32 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
NO offence but I think some of you lot behave like children......in fact....no, thats an insult to my children.
I think it would be stupid NOT to ask a question if you weren't sure.

I look back to when I started out and knew nothing. Had a bunch of very basic questions that would seem very obvious to me now but not back then.

We all need to respect those who want to learn and try to help them if we can. That's what RCG is all about. I've lean to respect all questions as answering them usually helps many more people then the original poster.

My only question today is how many gallons of moonshine did G550Ted drink today?
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:00 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Different kinds of tape

The colored tape is decorative only, that is to say,for oriantation markings{specially for mostly white ai craft}, the middle pile is various sorts of hing tape, there is the clear packing tape,{mostly for applying to surfaces that have included decals on your craft,and mostly because the tape is clear ,and you can still see the decals,the white medical cloth tape is good for applying to white foam surfaces, and the fibre tape is just for old beater planes{you know the ones,that one plane every body has in there collection, the one wre you really dont carewhat it looks like, and fianally,the black tape, i use that to clamp glu joints togeather as t dries.

All came from my hardware store{any hardware store}and the colored tape came from the craft store{found evry wear in your neighbor hood.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:43 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
I think it would be stupid NOT to ask a question if you weren't sure.

I look back to when I started out and knew nothing. Had a bunch of very basic questions that would seem very obvious to me now but not back then.

We all need to respect those who want to learn and try to help them if we can. That's what RCG is all about. I've lean to respect all questions as answering them usually helps many more people then the original poster.

My only question today is how many gallons of moonshine did G550Ted drink today?
I still am that new guy,
+1, DJ

I took my first flying lesson yesterday, buddy boxed with a club trainer using my Cessna 182 63" I bought to learn to fly my SS. I did very well even tho after I had to add 4ea. 2 oz lead weights to the nose to get the CG right. It was very elevator sensitive and when he said "Start your turn" I would start my bank using Ail and Elev and the plane would want to climb. We flew for such a long time I was starting to have concentration fatigue. He had to take it 3 times. Once I was getting too far down wind and the other 2 times I was banking to steep and the nose was coming up too far.

He landed it and it hit tail first and bounced big time. He said "it's tail heavy".

He was very curious about my A3 gyro board and I told him I will turn them all on and show you how they work - popped the hatch and to my amazement I had forgotten to turn them off after testing them that morning. I didn't quite know what to say because out of respect I had no intention of having them 'ON' when I showed up for my first lesson.

After trying to teach myself to fly my SS and crashing it 14 out of 27 flights this was one of the great experiences of my adult life and to go back to the shed was a joy. I had done well and I could feel the difference in how I felt and the acceptance of being treated as a student flyer not just someone who shows up at times to talk about it.

Someone on this board told me "you will never forget your first year of flying".
This first flight, in front of all those Nitro fliers and jet pilots, to not disgrace myself, It's a virgin experience, it only going down that way one time.

THANK YOU!!!!! All of you,

DJ
The flying sculptor

BTW: About 'Shine' Shine testing - feed it to the cat first, if the cat drinks and walks away, pitch the shine, if cat falls over with a grin on his whiskers proceed to test 2. Smear some on the refrigerator door, if it strips the paint off it's true quality
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Last edited by Sculptor; Sep 01, 2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: About 'SHINE'
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:21 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
The problem with ground level takeoffs is that the bixler tries to fly itself into the ground even from a hand launch if you have too much power on. So with full power it will stick to the ground and less power it will not have enough power to overcome friction.
Just hand launch with about half throttle and some up elevator and all is good.
You could put some sort of undercarriage on it.

Experimentation is an added side to the hobby..................
That has not been my experience. From short grass it takes off just fine.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:24 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime View Post
My reply did show leg-work, hence the specific question: Storage tape or Boat tape. Perhaps you meant scotch tape.

Not all of us live near or have access to well stocked hardware stores, if fact most stores here in Canada don't have the selection you get in the US. Further, amazon.com will not ship 95% of stuff to Canada. So excuse me for wanting to get the right tape.

As an aside....I'm beginning to think you have no idea what you were talking about.

If you can't answer a specific question....what are you doing here?? Perhaps you are the one that should 'Move along' as you put it.
+1.Well said. IIRC, I think Prof100 did answer your question. If not, ask again, I am sure several folks have some experience with both.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:25 PM
Australia, SA, Munno Para
Joined Sep 2011
939 Posts
Congrats Sculptor, I joined a club late last year to learn how to fly after trashing many planes attemping to do it on my own.

A few more flights and your confidence will rise and you will soon be solo.
golf_lake is online now Find More Posts by golf_lake
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Sep 2011
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
I find all of my tape{or most of it }at a well supplied hardware stores, even somtimes drug storesAnd besides, i am sure he's a big boy and can do searches himself.
If you don't like what i have to say, then simply MOVE ALONG, seeing your the only one that at me.
Most times it only takes one person to comment before someone wakes up and pulls their head in, you appear thicker than most so I will add to the number telling you that you havenít treated a newbie with respect or offered any real help and I think youíre a pratt

now for the double and I will up you 1 more
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:35 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_lake View Post
Congrats Sculptor, I joined a club late last year to learn how to fly after trashing many planes attemping to do it on my own.

A few more flights and your confidence will rise and you will soon be solo.
Thank you sir. I made model airplanes from the time I was 10. When it was time to enlist in service I enlisted in Marine Corp Aviation 1965 wanted to be a pilot.
It was like dad said "most people like you end up mowing grass on an air base".

At 67 this is as close as I will ever get and it's going to close enought.

Thanks again,

DJ
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined Sep 2011
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Thank you sir. I made model airplanes from the time I was 10. When it was time to enlist in service I enlisted in Marine Corp Aviation 1965 wanted to be a pilot.
It was like dad said "most people like you end up mowing grass on an air base".

At 67 this is as close as I will ever get and it's going to close enought.

Thanks again,

DJ
No worries you are most welome.

You have a few years on me, but not that many.

You are never too old for a few new tricks.

I have a electric powered 46 size Boomerang and a Bixler as my main fliers at this time, I love the Bixler with a few mods I have made as per page one in this thread.
I like pushing to its limmits and a little more, many at the club watch mine carefully waiting for it to fold or egging me on to fly lower and lower while flying inverted down the strip, I even got that close the prop touched and spun the prop nut off and it landed inverter, no damage and didnt even break the prop, lost the nut sadly.

I have a few 3D planes I like as well from a Typhoon 2
d up to an 120 4stroke Ultimate, a few more months before I fly the big bird, but one must always have a goal.

Good luck and hope you get as much fun and enjoyment as I do
Last edited by golf_lake; Sep 01, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:10 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_lake View Post
No worries you are most welome.

You have a few years on me, but not that many.

You are never too old for a few new tricks.

I have a electric powered 46 size Boomerang and a Bixler as my main fliers at this time, I love the Bixler with a few mods I have made as per page one in this thread.
I like pushing to its limmits and a little more, many at the club watch mine carefully waiting for it to fold or egging me on to fly lower and lower while flying inverted down the strip, I even got that close the prop touched and spun the prop nut off and it landed inverter, no damage and didnt even break the prop, lost the nut sadly.

I have a few 3D planes I like as well from a Typhoon 2
d up to an 120 4stroke Ultimate, a few more months before I fly the big bird, but one must always have a goal.

Good luck and hope you get as much fun and enjoyment as I do
Thank you.
I have this desire to have a really cool SS V2. The dream power glider with the accent on power. Want to fly it off the tarmac and take it vertical while doing a slow role. Take it to 1,500 ft., role it out flat, set down in my portable 'flight chair', shutt down the power and ride thermals with the glider men for as long as I want too.

It seems that at my flight club no one has seen an SS. They have a sence of the 'Easystar'.

Maybe I'm trying to make this plane give me an experience it can't give.
I don't know yet but I love this plane, It's bird like lines and it's gracefull presentation is beautifull.

DJ
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:16 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime View Post

It's 3M STORAGE TAPE with a PN 3650 Series. I even gave you the 3M home website with the technical details. Did you miss my reply?
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member