HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:23 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
Im just playing around with the eagle tree guardian 2D/3D in my other planes and the dam thing is out of this world, I put it in my Hobbyking Galaxy (indoor foamy) and flew in 25mph wind yesterday

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1596644
I have an eagle tree guardian coming but I want to use it in my big wing which is more likely to become unstable than my SS.

Since I don't want to spend the $80 for a second guardian I was looking at the eagle 3A pro for about $40 but would go with something less expensive if it worked.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Excellent question. It is a signal failure coming from the reverser unit. I have had two of them fail exactly like that. Of course, his still might be something different. I am sure he will let us know.
AJ
Thanks for the info AJ

Is this signal loss a known issue with the MFG or just something that happens 2 times out of 50? If they know about it I would hope they have a fix coming.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:54 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
I'm amazed how often I ck and recheck this thread in a day. I'm going to have to speak to myself about that. It seems as If I want to do nothing else.

There is a spirit of feeling here that represents a deeply held passion to experience that transcendent moment when 'The dancer becomes the dance'. You are in the cockpit, your hands feel no transmitter. You are FLYING and your soul loves it!

The great American Sculptor Melvina Hoffman had as her guest Helen Keller in her studio. She ran her hands over the bust of Keats and turned to Melvina and said, "Life is either a Grand adventure or it's nothing".

This is more than a hobby, It's a passionate effort to express creativity.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:50 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I'm amazed how often I ck and recheck this thread in a day. I'm going to have to speak to myself about that. It seems as If I want to do nothing else.

There is a spirit of feeling here that represents a deeply held passion to experience that transcendent moment when 'The dancer becomes the dance'. You are in the cockpit, your hands feel no transmitter. You are FLYING and your soul loves it!

The great American Sculptor Melvina Hoffman had as her guest Helen Keller in her studio. She ran her hands over the bust of Keats and turned to Melvina and said, "Life is either a Grand adventure or it's nothing".

This is more than a hobby, It's a passionate effort to express creativity.

DJ
The first step in breaking an addiction is the recognition that you are an addict. If when in social situations you cannot seem to find anything else to talk about except your RC airplane then it is too late for you.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:32 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,107 Posts
I believe there is an addiction thread on RC Groups. I of course don't need that therapy. Hang on, there are some men in white coats at the door, I'd better answer it...

Spent most of the day off and on applying hot water (to straighten) and Gorilla glue (to fix)...
Mac50L is online now Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Aug 20, 2012, 03:00 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Fly away home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Thanks for the info AJ

Is this signal loss a known issue with the MFG or just something that happens 2 times out of 50? If they know about it I would hope they have a fix coming.
I don't know. That was just my personal experience. I would not call them substandard unless I had a bigger sampling. Oh, BTW, I did order 6 more of them last week. Sometimes, I forget a transmitter and the reverser is a real QUICK way to reverse a servo when I only have THIS transmitter (no reverse switch on the box). But, in its day, I thought this was a GREAT box because you could easily store 1000's of planes on a floppy. Bad news-I always had to have a laptop with me (until recently) to change plane configurations.
Hey, you.... When the heck are you going to take some videos to share with all of us. I am beginning to wonder if you REALLY remember how to fly the SkyS.
AJ
I will be grounded for some time. I just had a complete shoulder replacement done on 8/1 and I am on the mend (but, doing better than I expected). So, I have an excuse for at least the next month or two.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:27 AM
Joined Oct 2011
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Sometimes, I forget a transmitter and the reverser is a real QUICK way to reverse a servo when I only have THIS transmitter (no reverse switch on the box).
I use the same Tx on the Bixler. I felt the same way about lack of reversing switches and the need for a computer so put reversing switches on the Tx. People who know them think it is the 4Ch as it does have reversing switches. The case moulding is the same for both Txs so the slots for the switches are under the label.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
I don't know. That was just my personal experience. I would not call them substandard unless I had a bigger sampling. Oh, BTW, I did order 6 more of them last week. Sometimes, I forget a transmitter and the reverser is a real QUICK way to reverse a servo when I only have THIS transmitter (no reverse switch on the box). But, in its day, I thought this was a GREAT box because you could easily store 1000's of planes on a floppy. Bad news-I always had to have a laptop with me (until recently) to change plane configurations.
Hey, you.... When the heck are you going to take some videos to share with all of us. I am beginning to wonder if you REALLY remember how to fly the SkyS.
AJ
I will be grounded for some time. I just had a complete shoulder replacement done on 8/1 and I am on the mend (but, doing better than I expected). So, I have an excuse for at least the next month or two.
Hahaha. I was wondering when someone would ask where is my proof of flying.

All I can say is that I have not flown for a couple of weeks since the test flight after the repairs of my big lawn dart landing. See the attached video

SkySurfer Crash Pilot Error (0 min 19 sec)

There is no good reason but a lot of excuses. Too much time on the computer, too much procrastinating, not getting out before the weather gets bad, helping the wife, looking for a new job. etc.

I can say at least that one excuse panned out. I have found a new job. While this will help provide food on the table and lights in the house unfortunately it will take me further away from my RC hobby. But at least I will have the weekends.

I will keep in touch and provide what ever support I can to those that need it (like i do). It just not be every day depending on how tired I am after work.

I hope your shoulder heals quickly so you can get back to what you love to do.

I know that if it was Gene who had the surgery he would be miserable not being able to hoist a beer.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:30 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Priorities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Hahaha. I was wondering when someone would ask where is my proof of flying.

All I can say is that I have not flown for a couple of weeks since the test flight after the repairs of my big lawn dart landing. See the attached video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1V2HPzNs6o&feature=plcp

There is no good reason but a lot of excuses. Too much time on the computer, too much procrastinating, not getting out before the weather gets bad, helping the wife, looking for a new job. etc.

I can say at least that one excuse panned out. I have found a new job. While this will help provide food on the table and lights in the house unfortunately it will take me further away from my RC hobby. But at least I will have the weekends.

I will keep in touch and provide what ever support I can to those that need it (like i do). It just not be every day depending on how tired I am after work.

I hope your shoulder heals quickly so you can get back to what you love to do.

I know that if it was Gene who had the surgery he would be miserable not being able to hoist a beer.
By just watching your video, it made my shoulder hurt all over again. It looks like it "might" be repairable when you get some time.
Good for you for finding a job. That is a tough objective in this economy. Everybody but GENE would understand your priorities (job, family, chores, hobby). I know his priorities - (hobby, hobby, hobby, hobby)
AJ
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:32 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
I use the same Tx on the Bixler. I felt the same way about lack of reversing switches and the need for a computer so put reversing switches on the Tx. People who know them think it is the 4Ch as it does have reversing switches. The case moulding is the same for both Txs so the slots for the switches are under the label.
So, you DID put in some reversing switches? I saw the slots. It looks really easy to add the switches. I think I would just need to copy my 4ch for wiring (true? false?). My soldering skills are good.
AJ
Old Aug 20, 2012, 01:13 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Last edited by Limited flyer; Aug 20, 2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,107 Posts
Quote:
So, you DID put in some reversing switches? I saw the slots. It looks really easy to add the switches. I think I would just need to copy my 4ch for wiring (true? false?). My soldering skills are good.
AJ
I actually hotglued the switches into place (from memory). It is common to use single pole switches on some Txs but not knowing if they would actually work for this one I used double pole switches and reversed two wires of the three from each control potentiometer. With experience doing that type of work it was quite simple.

I could I suppose take the back off and put pictures up and add some diagrams for those who really want to do it but might want some guidance.

I had to charge the Tx battery the other day. Must mean I've had at least a month (if not 2 months) of flying. Battery - gel cell lead-acid that goes in an old money belt type of holder, waist mounted. Connection is by using a couple of wooden dowels with drawing pins in their ends that the supply wires are soldered to and the dowels looking like AA batteries.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
By just watching your video, it made my shoulder hurt all over again. It looks like it "might" be repairable when you get some time.
Good for you for finding a job. That is a tough objective in this economy. Everybody but GENE would understand your priorities (job, family, chores, hobby). I know his priorities - (hobby, hobby, hobby, hobby)
AJ
Believe it not I crashed it on a Thursday, repaired it the next day and tested on day after. Looks a little worn but it wasn't hard to put back together.

Here are some pix after the crash, during repairs and then after repairs.

She fly's pretty good. Just haven't posted the video yet.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:32 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,171 Posts
Reversing Switch.
I was bored! - LOL

-B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Reversing Switch.
I was bored! - LOL

-B!LL!
Just about. You show 2 wires to each outer terminal of the pot. Just one wire from each outer terminal and those wires that you show going to the centre of the switch are the correct ones to connect to the switch. Then as you show correctly, out going has the cross over wires on the switch.

Otherwise YES that's the way.
RCG Plus Member