HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:27 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Yes sir one had to be reversed. without tearing it down again I won't know. The servo is going in a circle by increments.

DJ
Sounds like the gears on the arm are slipping so the servo may be going back to Neutral but the arm is not.

With plastic gears on those type servos there is a good possibility that the gear teeth are now stripped.

The control arm may be holding back the servo arm so it can't return to Neutral.

Does this happen when the servo is disconnected from the servo arm?
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:41 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
That is a classic reverser problem. Replace it. If you want to test it some more, put it on the other servo and it will do the same thing. Or, put the reverser on either one (or the rudder {for testing only}. The problem should follow the reverser.
AJ
Thank you AJ. I will unplug the Feed from the Rx and test glide it tomorrow, and monday I'll replace it to make the flaps work even tho I don't expect to use flaps untill I become an experienced flier.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
That is a classic reverser problem. Replace it. If you want to test it some more, put it on the other servo and it will do the same thing. Or, put the reverser on either one (or the rudder {for testing only}. The problem should follow the reverser.
AJ
AJ

What Is the problem that is causing the reverser to creep forward or not fully return?

Is it a wiring issue or signal issue?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:33 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Except for cast foam air planes most planes cannot take a crash. Some explode into fragments others break into fixable parts glass and balsa. Takes much knowledge and skill to remake them.

The designers of these foam planes do not make them to be crash resistant. There is no reason for them to do that unless their designing a 'crash-proof' plane.

It's not "Oh the more of them they destroy the more money we make". No if it will fly and you can't fly it. Balls in your court.

How could a marketing plan include a predetermined consideration for "I can't fly it, I crashed it, I want my money back".

Well designed foam airplanes have opened this hobby / sport to hundreds, and more, me for one.
The foam plane with Lipo batteries and brushless motors are a marvel and the abuse they will take is amazing.

Crash resistance still is subject to the laws physics. If it's lite, and not too big the material foam will make it very durable.
Consider this, If the wings are modified to make them very strong then they will tear the foam apart on 'nose in ' impact. If they are weakly attached then they will pull loose and the load on the fuselage is diminished on impact.com

Thats why the Sky Surfer design is such a good balance of all the physics involved.

"Weight works against strength"
-Henry Ford
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:55 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Except for cast foam air planes most planes cannot take a crash. Some explode into fragments others break into fixable parts glass and balsa. Takes much knowledge and skill to remake them.

The designers of these foam planes do not make them to be crash resistant. There is no reason for them to do that unless their designing a 'crash-proof' plane.

It's not "Oh the more of them they destroy the more money we make". No if it will fly and you can't fly it. Balls in your court.

How could a marketing plan include a predetermined consideration for "I can't fly it, I crashed it, I want my money back".

Well designed foam airplanes have opened this hobby / sport to hundreds, and more, me for one.
The foam plane with Lipo batteries and brushless motors are a marvel and the abuse they will take is amazing.

Crash resistance still is subject to the laws physics. If it's lite, and not too big the material foam will make it very durable.
Consider this, If the wings are modified to make them very strong then they will tear the foam apart on 'nose in ' impact. If they are weakly attached then they will pull loose and the load on the fuselage is diminished on impact.com

Thats why the Sky Surfer design is such a good balance of all the physics involved.

"Weight works against strength"
-Henry Ford
Ive got a really simple answer to all that........DONT CRASH!!!
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
LOL. That's like saying you should never get into an automobile crash or fender bender.

Flying a plane is like driving a car. The pilot is mostly in control of the vehicle. Unfortunately there are things outside the pilot's control which will cause a crash no matter what vehicle is being piloted.

Now if they only made foamee cars.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:50 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
An elegant response to the central point. If one can keep from breaking it thru 'Buddy box' training at your club or a friend or Devinne providence. One has a better chance of flying it without a bad outcome.

+1 DJ
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:37 AM
Note to self, put on pants.
Australia, VIC, Frankston
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
New Bixler build for the wife!

Thought id show you guys the new Bixler i built for the wife. Yes thats right the wife. Got her hooked flying mine so had to build her one. Mods turned out better than mine so i will have to revisit mine for some work.
Bought as a bare kit.
HXT900 servos.
30A esc moved to a new location on top for good airflow.
2826 2200kv with 6x4 prop.
5A UBC
HK Multicopter 3 axis board running Openaero firmware 1.13. Trimmed the side of the board to fit. Soon to add an accelerometer for auto level.
All control surfaces are CA hinged.
New clevices.
Old hard drive magnets holding the wings. Very strong!
Carbon down the fuse and extra carbon in the spar.
Hi vis vinyl job on the belly.
Changed some Bixler stickers to say Bex as my wife is Beck.
Flys so good its almost boring but you can turn off the gyros from the tx if you want.
Jayman72 is offline Find More Posts by Jayman72
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:01 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman72 View Post
Thought id show you guys the new Bixler i built for the wife. Yes thats right the wife. Got her hooked flying mine so had to build her one. Mods turned out better than mine so i will have to revisit mine for some work.
Bought as a bare kit.
HXT900 servos.
30A esc moved to a new location on top for good airflow.
2826 2200kv with 6x4 prop.
5A UBC
HK Multicopter 3 axis board running Openaero firmware 1.13. Trimmed the side of the board to fit. Soon to add an accelerometer for auto level.
All control surfaces are CA hinged.
New clevices.
Old hard drive magnets holding the wings. Very strong!
Carbon down the fuse and extra carbon in the spar.
Hi vis vinyl job on the belly.
Changed some Bixler stickers to say Bex as my wife is Beck.
Flys so good its almost boring but you can turn off the gyros from the tx if you want.
That is one nice looking Bix. I am sure your Wife will enjoy flying it.

Like to see video of it flying if possible.

I am still trying to decide which stabilization hardware to install in my SkySurfer. I have been leaning toward the Eagle 3A board that Sculptor is using but I am open to other ideas. Let us know how well the HK Multicopter board works. Thanks

Vince
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:02 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Except for cast foam air planes most planes cannot take a crash.

The designers of these foam planes do not make them to be crash resistant.

Well designed foam airplanes have opened this hobby / sport to hundreds, and more,....
Do you want to see what I did to mine today? No, probably make you weep. Looks like it won't be flying tomorrow. I'll use rain as an excuse but another lot of glue would be the truth. The starboard wing is glued back together and the aft fuselage back on so far. Half the nose reconstructed but a bit of hot water before the next lot of breaks there are glued and then hopefully it will all line up with the aft half of the fuselage.

I put it down to rolling turbulence from the high hedge we were down wind of. What?!! Pilot error? The smallish school ground didn't help much either. The lad I was flying with had, a few months back, got permission for us to use it on weekends if no sport is on.

Previous to that doing practise bomb drops. A knob (for Ch5) on the Tx is going to be replaced with a switch - soon.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:20 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post

I am still trying to decide which stabilization hardware to install in my SkySurfer. I have been leaning toward the Eagle 3A board that Sculptor is using but I am open to other ideas. Let us know how well the HK Multicopter board works. Thanks

Vince
Im just playing around with the eagle tree guardian 2D/3D in my other planes and the dam thing is out of this world, I put it in my Hobbyking Galaxy (indoor foamy) and flew in 25mph wind yesterday

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1596644
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Last edited by Simon2504; Aug 19, 2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:57 AM
Note to self, put on pants.
Australia, VIC, Frankston
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
Quote:

Vince
Thanks Vince
I actually just ordered the Eagle 3A Pro board for another project. The pro version allows you to control the mode from the tx and the board at 30x40mm would fit the Bixler much better than this as i did have to mod (chop a bit off) the HK board to fit but electronics is my day job. Downside is it does cost more.
Jamie
Jayman72 is offline Find More Posts by Jayman72
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:28 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Got the Bix V2 ready to fly but I would like to hear from y'all as to how it differs from the V1 in flight.

I'm not sure I will use the screws to hold the wings on, that set up seems way too solid and that scares me. The nose will have to take all the shock on a nose-in shot. I coated the carbon rod with P 2300 mold release agent (or non-stick cooking spray or vegie shortening) so the glue wouldn't stick to it other wise the wings become glued in place anyway. On a nose-in crash the rod has no effect unless the wings pop loose.

I remember in the 50's all our outboard motors had props with a 'shear Pin' running thur the prop and shaft that would shear off if you hit something. I think these wings need 'Shear pins' so I think I'll leave the screws out and use 'Hinge Tape' top and bottom and run round tooth picks down thru the side of the fuselage and thru the wings. They should break off on impact and help unload the impact on the nose.

What do y'all think?

DJ
Update: Just took my first Bix SS (trashed) and pinned the wings with round tooth picks and no tape. Then I put the nose against my abdoman, grabed the back edge of the wings and pulled forward untill the wings broke the tooth picks. No foam damage, plenty of resistance before snap. I'm going to now try one top and one bottom at rear and one only on the front edge. This seems to have great possibilities.
Last edited by Sculptor; Aug 19, 2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Update
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Feb 2012
798 Posts
You worry too much, just fly it.
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:23 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
AJ

What Is the problem that is causing the reverser to creep forward or not fully return?

Is it a wiring issue or signal issue?
Excellent question. It is a signal failure coming from the reverser unit. I have had two of them fail exactly like that. Of course, his still might be something different. I am sure he will let us know.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker