HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2010, 02:24 PM
Alabama
Joined Sep 2010
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastmalang70 View Post
hello
just need an advice ,Is BH is really that horrible service ,i just orderd Skysurfer ARF kit and just checking about it and came across the forum where discussion about horrible service of BH ,shall i cancelled the order
You will get mixed reviews on this. They do pack the box inside another cardboard box, so chance of shipping damage is not as great as with BEVRC, but if it does happen or if anything else is wrong with your order you will have to be very patient. Like anything else you order online you just have to determine if the reward is worth the risk. I decided it was worth the risk because it was a great plane for a great price and hopefully my issues will be resolved eventually (I had a couple of damaged parts). So far my experience has been that BH is willing to help and resolve my issue, they just are not really quick about it.
studawg66 is offline Find More Posts by studawg66
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2010, 02:31 PM
Joined Nov 2009
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studawg66 View Post
You will get mixed reviews on this. They do pack the box inside another cardboard box, so chance of shipping damage is not as great as with BEVRC, but if it does happen or if anything else is wrong with your order you will have to be very patient. Like anything else you order online you just have to determine if the reward is worth the risk. I decided it was worth the risk because it was a great plane for a great price and hopefully my issues will be resolved eventually (I had a couple of damaged parts). So far my experience has been that BH is willing to help and resolve my issue, they just are not really quick about it.
i hope so , i will get it before the end of this year in one piece
mastmalang70 is offline Find More Posts by mastmalang70
Old Nov 18, 2010, 02:39 PM
GoPopp
Ocean Grove, Australia
Joined Oct 2010
12 Posts
SS from BH

Hi Guys I just received an order from BH for all the foam parts 3 weeks well packed and no damage thats to Australia. My friend got a RTF version in about 2 weeks.
Not real bad the postie in the US seems like they kick the parcels around like a football.

Cheers
GoPopp is offline Find More Posts by GoPopp
Old Nov 18, 2010, 03:16 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Anyone flatten those wing tips yet? What's the best way of doing it?
my opinion... if you ittend to stay on the stock motor.. don't do it.. if you want something powerfull and completely change the planes glying characteristics.. go with graysonhobbys supersonic V2 2200kv a larger prop and flatten those tips

If I was going to do it I was goin to measure the front and the back end of the wing draw a line and then use a Xacto knife to flatten them..

BTW.. HAS ANYONE TRIED A DIFFERENT PROP WITH THE STOCK SETUP (I want some more push) ? ? don't worry about ESC beacause I installed a 30amp for future upgrades
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Nov 18, 2010, 03:49 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Anyone flatten those wing tips yet? What's the best way of doing it?
So far I've managed to get about 90% of the dihedral out by using a hair dryer and stacks of books on top of the wing. I've only done one wingtip so far. I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble. I may end up clipping the wings. I've set this project aside for a bit while I finish up my second SS. I'm having a b!tch of a time trying to get any type of paint to stick correctly on this foam. Right now I'm using Krylon Short Cuts glow orange on top of a couple coats of WBPU. I'll need to apply a few more coats to get an even finish. I tried a few different types on acrylics thinned through my airbrush on the rudder and elevator but they didn't turn out too well.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Nov 18, 2010, 05:30 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Different wings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
So far I've managed to get about 90% of the dihedral out by using a hair dryer and stacks of books on top of the wing. I've only done one wingtip so far. I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble. I may end up clipping the wings. I've set this project aside for a bit while I finish up my second SS. I'm having a b!tch of a time trying to get any type of paint to stick correctly on this foam. Right now I'm using Krylon Short Cuts glow orange on top of a couple coats of WBPU. I'll need to apply a few more coats to get an even finish. I tried a few different types on acrylics thinned through my airbrush on the rudder and elevator but they didn't turn out too well.
In the future, you might consider getting a pair of EZ* wings. They are much easier to modify to the shape you are looking for (flat).
AJ
P.S. If you really want to get more into high performance for this plane, get a set of Wild Hawk wings (Harbor Freight) and clip the tips.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Nov 18, 2010, 05:31 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
I'm having a b!tch of a time trying to get any type of paint to stick correctly on this foam. Right now I'm using Krylon Short Cuts glow orange on top of a couple coats of WBPU. I'll need to apply a few more coats to get an even finish. I tried a few different types on acrylics thinned through my airbrush on the rudder and elevator but they didn't turn out too well.
One thing to remember before trying to paint any (EPP,EPO) foam, it is to clean the surface with alcohol to assure there's no mold release residual left on the surface from the manufacturing process. Multiple light coats are best for a uniform coverage.
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Nov 18, 2010, 06:01 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,498 Posts
Dangit. I knew I missed a process along the way- I forgot the alcohol! Rubbing that is, not the fermented kind... So far the Krylon Short Cuts is looking good. I'm only going to paint the tail and the wings on this one, and put a final WBPU coat on when I'm done.

AJ- I only tried to flatten the wings on my newest SS kit as UPS managed to crack one of the tips. Otherwise I would have left it alone. Good tip though- I did see a Wild Hawk on the shelf at the local Harbor Freight when I bought a 1 ton arbor press a couple weeks ago.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Nov 18, 2010, 06:43 PM
Team Daedalus
Joined Jun 2008
1,233 Posts
Hey there AJ,

I bowed to your supreme wisdom and decades of RC flying so as to order myself a Sky Surfer from BH (kneels says prayer). Seriously, Bevrc was out of stock plus they're in HK so I think the price comes out close.

Anyhoo, BH shipped my SS today (1 day after order) and I have a tracking number so I feel pretty good.

Now what I really like most (seriously) I will read this whole thread in the next couple days (taking notes) That way I'm ready to hit the (landing) strip come Wednesday.

Also, thanks for the thread and the super tips and ideas I've already gleaned from all the posters.

Todd
Wolveslayr is offline Find More Posts by Wolveslayr
Old Nov 18, 2010, 06:49 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Speaking of prayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolveslayr View Post
Hey there AJ,

I bowed to your supreme wisdom and decades of RC flying so as to order myself a Sky Surfer from BH (kneels says prayer). Seriously, Bevrc was out of stock plus they're in HK so I think the price comes out close.

Anyhoo, BH shipped my SS today (1 day after order) and I have a tracking number so I feel pretty good.

Now what I really like most (seriously) I will read this whole thread in the next couple days (taking notes) That way I'm ready to hit the (landing) strip come Wednesday.

Also, thanks for the thread and the super tips and ideas I've already gleaned from all the posters.

Todd
You are most welcome. I hasten to point out that there are a lot of very brilliant folks that this thread what it is. I am just the librarian in charge of keeping Page #1 up to date. You might save yourself a lot of reading by just going over the stuff on Page #1. That is sort of a collection of all the experience and knowledge of everyone on this thread. Obviously, if you have any questions, any one of a bunch of folks here can give you whatever help you might need. You (specifically) probably will not need a lot of help because of your experience. You are not a newb anymore. I look forward to some contributions that will help all of us.
AJ
Oops. I totally missed the point. You should not need prayers at all for getting your SkyS. You have a tracking # and you should get a box in a box that is in perfect condition. BH gets a gold star when it comes to packaging the SkyS. Of course, UPS can be pretty tough on the packages. But, my guess is that you will receive your SkyS in perfect condition. So, we shall see.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Nov 18, 2010, 07:12 PM
Team Daedalus
Joined Jun 2008
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
You are most welcome. I hasten to point out that there are a lot of very brilliant folks that this thread what it is. I am just the librarian in charge of keeping Page #1 up to date. You might save yourself a lot of reading by just going over the stuff on Page #1. That is sort of a collection of all the experience and knowledge of everyone on this thread. Obviously, if you have any questions, any one of a bunch of folks here can give you whatever help you might need. You (specifically) probably will not need a lot of help because of your experience. You are not a newb anymore. I look forward to some contributions that will help all of us.
AJ
Oops. I totally missed the point. You should not need prayers at all for getting your SkyS. You have a tracking # and you should get a box in a box that is in perfect condition. BH gets a gold star when it comes to packaging the SkyS. Of course, UPS can be pretty tough on the packages. But, my guess is that you will receive your SkyS in perfect condition. So, we shall see.
Thanks AJ,

I made that post and then went back a few pages just to get a feel for what is current with vendor, shipping etc and I see mangled boxes and bent parts. No worry though mate. I'm sure all will be good.

I have seen the reinforcements people have done so I'll have some proper CF rods, control horns, extreme tape etc waiting to be installed.

Many questions, so I will now go to the beginning and start reading. Hopefully a week from today I'll be current in my reading and catch up with you here talking about a maiden flight!

Todd
Still has an Acromaster to build
Old Nov 18, 2010, 07:42 PM
Team Daedalus
Joined Jun 2008
1,233 Posts
FWIW,

I got this from the link somebody posted. It started with hobby-exporter.com.
Clicked on J-Power (located in Lincoln Nebraska of all places{welcome to the B10 Cornhuskers}). Some how ended up here:
http://www.aerosmith-hobby.com/shopping.html

They have some really cool stuff.

Seriously, If some of us got together. Pick 3-4 popular models and ordered 50-100 of each I believe we could create a grassroots RC supplier that can turn a profit and most importantly people would know if they ordered from AJ-QuestRC.com they would be as comfortable as ordering from Horizon.

Oh, yea supposed to be reading the first page. G'day all!

Todd
Old Nov 18, 2010, 09:29 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
my opinion... if you ittend to stay on the stock motor.. don't do it.. if you want something powerfull and completely change the planes glying characteristics.. go with graysonhobbys supersonic V2 2200kv a larger prop and flatten those tips

If I was going to do it I was goin to measure the front and the back end of the wing draw a line and then use a Xacto knife to flatten them..

BTW.. HAS ANYONE TRIED A DIFFERENT PROP WITH THE STOCK SETUP (I want some more push) ? ? don't worry about ESC beacause I installed a 30amp for future upgrades
I use the Heads Up R/S 2200kv inrunner with a 6x4 Sport. Plenty of power.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:01 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolveslayr View Post
I got this from the link somebody posted. It started with hobby-exporter.com.
Clicked on J-Power (located in Lincoln Nebraska of all places{welcome to the B10 Cornhuskers}).
J-Power is in Lincoln??? Why am I ordering from BH on the West Coast when I could drive 45 minutes down the road to Lincoln!?!

KMan
kman24 is offline Find More Posts by kman24
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:07 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
J-Power is in Lincoln??? Why am I ordering from BH on the West Coast when I could drive 45 minutes down the road to Lincoln!?!

KMan
It is not. I contacted Jalin who owns JPower. My email was forwarded to their export agency. They use a Export company in Illinois. According to them, the new USA distributor is supposed to be HobbytownUSA headquartered in Lincoln, Nebraska. No JPower products are listed right now. The exporter said no planes have, as of yet, been ordered.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member