Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:05 AM
Russia, Moscow
Joined Jun 2010
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpbug View Post
anyone tried flapperons with this or would dedicated flaps closer to the fuselage work better?
1. In my opinion using dedicated flaps is more flexible solution (against flaperons) but it needs additional control chanel to achive all benefits (you would want to get assymetrical control on flaps, not only both up or both down).
2. Bixler has glider-like wings. Using flaperons on glider wing is not traditional design.
3. Rather modifying Bixler wing maybe you could buy Bixler II or Super SkySerfer (both have wings with pre-cutted flaps, 1500mm and 2400mm)
ivanko2 is offline Find More Posts by ivanko2
Last edited by ivanko2; Aug 13, 2012 at 02:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Does anyone know if the replacement Sky Surfer canopy sold by BH is the One with or without the pilot. Thanks
valanti256 is offline Find More Posts by valanti256
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:02 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanti256 View Post
Does anyone know if the replacement Sky Surfer canopy sold by BH is the One with or without the pilot. Thanks
I bought a replacement for my BH BlitzRCworks Sky Surfer version 3. It was cast foam with glass area painted black. No Charles Lindberg in a cockpit.

DJ
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I bought a replacement for my BH BlitzRCworks Sky Surfer version 3. It was cast foam with glass area painted black. No Charles Lindberg in a cockpit.

DJ
Thanks for the info. I don't want to order it unless I can get the One with Charles. Thanks.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:32 PM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
sunset with my Bixler

Belcarra sunset with Hobbyking Bixler gopro2 (3 min 47 sec)
Westwood is offline Find More Posts by Westwood
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:15 PM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwood View Post
nice view there west.....I hvnt done any onboard videos yet (lack of flying time with my bird......will do some during the school holiday next week...nowadays Im a sucker for my DJI F450).....Hack...I'm still living with the stock motor + prop although I hv the turnigy motor + 6x4 prop in the box waiting to get on board he he he......guess I hvnt got enough of the stocks....
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:30 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanti256 View Post
Thanks for the info. I don't want to order it unless I can get the One with Charles. Thanks.
I don't think BH carries it anymore since they went to V4. You may find one on eBay.

If you are really interested I might sell you mine. It's a little dirty but Charles is alive and well.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:38 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Eagle202, Thanks for the offer. The One I have is a little beat up but but usable. I guess it matches the rest of the plane. Thanks again.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:32 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=39

Hi Guys,

Link to my Bixler 2 post. Built and ready to maiden:
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:54 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Computer Power Supply for charger -

I finally got a and old computer PSU. I did the mod as per the video that was posted in this thread. When I make a good connection with the green (power-on) wire and ground, the fan turns for a fraction of a second and stops. If I play with the connection, I can get it to stay on. It is not a problem of a bad connection.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong, and how to remedy it?

Shimmy
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:55 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=39

Hi Guys,

Link to my Bixler 2 post. Built and ready to maiden:
Your V2 nite flier looks great.
As you said many new improvements on this V2. I got mine yesterday.

Improvements: All you said. Plus cast in place battery guides with stop wall in the front end. Tried a 2.2 in there still plenty of room and the control horns are preinstalled.

Things to be improved by the Mfd.
1. Wing slots for rod. Still under foam strip in bottom of wing. To give proper support to this rod, the foam strip must be glued in and now you can't get to the servo wires for replacing servos. In gluing this strip in much care must be taken not to accidentally glue the rod in place or the wings can never be taken off.
Note: On the SS V2 by BlitzRCworks tubes are cast into the wing into which the rod slides into, no possibility of accidentally gluing them in place and the servo wires are in slots in the surface for easy replacement.

2. After much effort trying to get the two screws that hold the wings in place I gave up and replaced them with stainless screws and let them cut there own threads.

3. There is a 3/4" half round mullion running across the floor about center of the canopy that also serves as a wall. I'm using an Eagle A3 rate only three gyro board and it fits on the floor just aft this wall and allows room enough to adjust the gyro pots from above. But everything else, Rx etc. must be mounted on the side wall as there is not much room do to the wing attachment pylon. Also this makes wiring from the wings to the Rx very hard and as usual the wires are too short if the rx is mounted on the side wall under the canopy. Had to buy extensions to get the wire there. (When will these people have some mercy and add 2" to all these wires?)

It is a very nice plane and does seem to be a denser foam and no more pealing off the HK advertising stickers .

And as you said that is one 'floppy' prop.

Your nite flier is just stunning, I can only imagine what it will look like in the night sky.

DJ
Last edited by Sculptor; Aug 14, 2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:39 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,154 Posts
I've got my V2 together, nice plane. I bought a new Tx DX6i, it came with 3 rx's one a Spec AG6210 W/satellite and 2ea. AR6115e. But in the docs on these rx's it says 'Park flier' range.

Does that mean 'short range'? What would the range be?

Thank you,
DJ
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:24 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
Computer Power Supply for charger -

I finally got an old computer PSU. I did the mod as per the video that was posted in this thread. When I make a good connection with the green (power-on) wire and ground, the fan turns for a fraction of a second and stops. If I play with the connection, I can get it to stay on. It is not a problem of a bad connection.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong, and how to remedy it?

Shimmy
Question why the power supply is surplus. Possibly because it was giving trouble? What year was it made?

Next question - what do the capacitors look like? All of them including small ones around the switching transistors. Are their tops bulged? Are any of them showing signs of leaking (brown stain)?

If it dates back to 2000-2005 especially I'd be suspicious of all the capacitors.

If it was an older power supply and not an ATX supply (maybe from an old 386 computer) then it would probably be perfect. That's what I'm using to run this monitor though I did originally modify it to run a charger.
Mac50L is online now Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:05 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Your nite flier is just stunning, I can only imagine what it will look like in the night sky.
Thanks Sculptor. I agree with all your comments about V2. Enjoy your plane.

In regards to your AR6115E Rx, reserve for use in a close-range slow flyer, like a Pioneer Retro or similar. I wouldn't install in a Bixler or PZ Warbird etc.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:08 PM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,142 Posts
Bixler flown from Liberty Park in Pacific, Sunday August 5th.

Heading North over Pacific then over to the Sand Quarry, then South to the Pacific Palisades Conservation Area. The Meramec River was up several feet due to the storm on Saturday night of August 4th. It was the most rain we had in months, we are in drought conditions.

I had flown over the Meramec River several times this evening. Unknown of the tragedy to unfold in the days to come.

http://www.kmov.com/news/local/Autho...165110986.html

FPV Bixler over Pacific (4 min 13 sec)
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Diamond 2500