SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:57 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Prof100 & I have tried dedicated flaps with excellent results (using mechanical differential). Do it.
AJ
P.S. I just got out of the hospital (reverse shoulder replacemebt) and ?I am doing fine. Forgive my typing - i am not going back to correct typos because i only have one hand to use just now. Sure is good tobe back. Anyone want some spare hydormorphone? Way TOOOOooooo strong for a weakling like me.
AJ,

Glad to read you are back. We forgive all typos and gaps in logic until you are healed and off your pain meds.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:06 PM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
653 Posts
you say that till you quit taking it.. then the pain will remind you where you put it.

Quote:
P.S. I just got out of the hospital (reverse shoulder replacemebt) and ?I am doing fine. Forgive my typing - i am not going back to correct typos because i only have one hand to use just now. Sure is good tobe back. Anyone want some spare hydormorphone? Way TOOOOooooo strong for a weakling like me.
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:58 AM
United States, CA, Yorba Linda
Joined Sep 2011
187 Posts
Here's my first video with the sky surfer, keychain #16. I still have to build the mount for the gopro hd 2 w/ remote.
Sky Surfer Glider Keychain Cam #16 (12 min 18 sec)
minizoom is offline Find More Posts by minizoom
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 1km Flight with ZMR 250
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:23 PM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,144 Posts
The area you fly in reminded me of this Glider save :

Pilot Crash Lands Plane Into Neighborhood! (1 min 18 sec)
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:26 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minizoom View Post
Here's my first video with the sky surfer, keychain #16. I still have to build the mount for the gopro hd 2 w/ remote.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8YgH...layer_embedded
Pretty good video. I couldn't tell if you were cutting the grass or just liked to fly really really low a few times.

Also I would advise to stay away from them power lines unless you like fireworks.

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:29 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kusunokimasahige View Post
The area you fly in reminded me of this Glider save :

http://youtu.be/9plarL9h-3k
Wow. I wonder how many pilots use garbage cans as a stopping barrier.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
AJ
AJ - Speedy Recovery.
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:42 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Prof100 & I have tried dedicated flaps with excellent results (using mechanical differential). Do it.
AJ
AJ get better fast, I'll take a couple of those meds. Pop 2, take my desk top helicopter and chase the cats, it's gonna be fun.

DJ
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:07 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpbug View Post
anyone tried flapperons with this or would dedicated flaps closer to the fuselage work better?
Useful only during hand launch, but they are useful during hand launch.

But spoilerons saved my plane one day when I hit killer lift. My telemetry showed I was at 2200 feet -- just a spec in the sky -- and climbing fast. It flew into a cloud and I lost sight. Spoilerons engaged....and started searching the sky. A little more than a minute later one of the guys spotted it circling to the North -- it was still at 1200+ feet and pretty difficult to make out..but spoilerons saved the day - and my camera and telemetry gear.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Last edited by scott page; Aug 11, 2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:48 AM
Joined Sep 2011
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Pretty good video. I couldn't tell if you were cutting the grass or just liked to fly really really low a few times.

Also I would advise to stay away from them power lines unless you like fireworks.

Vince
Check out the other vids on my channel, some low flyby's.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:24 AM
Joined Sep 2011
187 Posts
Got the gopro hd 2 mounted. I had to add 35 grams of weight to the tail to get cg.
Sky Surfer GoPro HD 2 Sunset Flight (3 min 9 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:57 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Can some one point me to a simple and detailed (newbie) explanation how to perform a dive and glide test. I have the "Dive and Glide Test & CG Trim" pdf which has nice diagrams, but does not have simple instructions.

Thanks
Shimmy
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:49 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,224 Posts
Here you go
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...18&postcount=3
or
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6192
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:57 AM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
Gorgeous video! Have you got stabilization on that thing or are you just an extremely smooth pilot with lots of exponential dialed in?

Gord
Thanks Gord!

It was fun to fly this evening as it was calm. DX7 and Dragon Link, with Aile Expo @ 35% and Elev. @ 30%, with no stabilization.
This was my 3rd flight. My second flight was difficult due to all the thermal activity and the Bixler being light build was bouncing all over the place. So for my 3rd flight I waited for the evening glass off.
I hope to post the "link" flight for my second flight sometime this week.
Ken
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eternalflight; Aug 13, 2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:02 AM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
Well, Sculptor mentioned the Super Sky Surfer a day or so ago and it seems to have been overlooked completely. At least nobody has commented on it. I know this isn't the Super Sky Surfer thread, but it is close enough that most folks here might well be interested. It's 2.4 meters, 2 Kg, has flaps and looks almost identical to the Sky Surfer that we know and love.

The Super Sky Surfer ARF: http://www.bananahobby.com/super-sky...0099-prd1.html

The Super Sky Surfer thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1706026

Since there is a thread for it already it probably would be good to post regarding that plane on that thread. This is just a heads up for anyone who feels like dwarfing all those Easy Gliders and Radians for a pretty reasonable cost, $140 for the airframe, motor, ESC, and six servos. If it flies as well as the small Sky Surfer it should be really interesting! No detail available yet on the internals, but I am sure it will show up in time.

Gord
Gord!
Wow! I am glad you posted this plane. I did not know of it. I belong to a soaring club here in St. Louis and no one complained so far of me flying the Radian FPV at the field. But I think I could get buy by flying this one at the sod field due to the larger wing span.
Ken
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member