SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:47 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minizoom View Post
Just maiden my Skysurfer this evening at Glider point Yorba Linda. Only had one flight that lasted 31:40 on 3s 1300 and still had 11.7v left. This thing is pretty cool! My first glider! Kind of a nice change from EDF, Heli, and 3D planes.
Nice flying. Getting more than 20 minutes out of a 1300mah battery shows your skill level at keeping the SS aloft without using the motor.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter View Post
Ups.. !
I can certify humans come from monkeys.....
Someone just forgot to take out the "tree magnets" before flying.

Took me 2 tree landings to figure that one out.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Feb 2012
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter View Post
Ups.. !
I can certify humans come from monkeys.....
Those planes definitely like trees. I tree'd my first Bixler twice and what sucks is the pine trees around here dont have lower branches so theyre impossible to climb. I ended up buying a 40' telescoping pole from Home Depot to get my plane out of a tree.
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:55 PM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epyonxero View Post
Those planes definitely like trees. I tree'd my first Bixler twice and what sucks is the pine trees around here dont have lower branches so theyre impossible to climb. I ended up buying a 40' telescoping pole from Home Depot to get my plane out of a tree.
or a climber deer hunting stand...
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:13 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
The point is that it can be a bit more challenging to learn to flying these Easy Star clones because they are more akin to sailboats, while learning on a Cessna type trainer is like driving a power boat. The power boat generally goes where you point it but the sailboat is a child of the winds and requires more management.
Trying to explain why and how a single statement can change my perspective, cause absolute clarity and reset all my defaults is something I wouldn't put even my 'mental health' professional thru.

"the sailboat is a child of the winds " = power Glider and "The power boat generally goes where you point it " = Cessna 182

I've sailed the 17' Olympic 'Lighting' class, owned it, raced the 18' Prendel cat flying a hull off Fort Myers Beach, crewed on a 38' Morgan'.

The SS is a power glider that is like the 18' twin hull Prendel catamaran. You can set sail and Cruz out with friends or you can set sail in a good wind and lay it up on it's side and FLY, It's always "a child of the wind" I now know what the Power glider 'SS' really is.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:35 AM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,167 Posts
I enjoy this ship. Easy to transport and with a 2200mah battery there is lots of flying time for me. I Velcro the Go Pro on the CG this time under the right wing -naked.
FPV BIXLER 8/7/12 (3 min 29 sec)
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:55 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Super Sky Surfer

Well, Sculptor mentioned the Super Sky Surfer a day or so ago and it seems to have been overlooked completely. At least nobody has commented on it. I know this isn't the Super Sky Surfer thread, but it is close enough that most folks here might well be interested. It's 2.4 meters, 2 Kg, has flaps and looks almost identical to the Sky Surfer that we know and love.

The Super Sky Surfer ARF: http://www.bananahobby.com/super-sky...0099-prd1.html

The Super Sky Surfer thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1706026

Since there is a thread for it already it probably would be good to post regarding that plane on that thread. This is just a heads up for anyone who feels like dwarfing all those Easy Gliders and Radians for a pretty reasonable cost, $140 for the airframe, motor, ESC, and six servos. If it flies as well as the small Sky Surfer it should be really interesting! No detail available yet on the internals, but I am sure it will show up in time.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:02 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalflight View Post
I enjoy this ship. Easy to transport and with a 2200mah battery there is lots of flying time for me. I Velcro the Go Pro on the CG this time under the right wing -naked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_gQgZIsfc0
Gorgeous video! Have you got stabilization on that thing or are you just an extremely smooth pilot with lots of exponential dialed in?

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:40 PM
United States, CA, Santa Monica
Joined Jul 2011
497 Posts
anyone tried flapperons with this or would dedicated flaps closer to the fuselage work better?
Lpbug is offline Find More Posts by Lpbug
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:08 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpbug View Post
anyone tried flapperons with this or would dedicated flaps closer to the fuselage work better?
I tried it and hated it, lost 80% of aileron control
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:38 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpbug View Post
Prof100 & I have tried dedicated flaps with excellent results (using mechanical differential). Do it.
AJ
P.S. I just got out of the hospital (reverse shoulder replacemebt) and ?I am doing fine. Forgive my typing - i am not going back to correct typos because i only have one hand to use just now. Sure is good tobe back. Anyone want some spare hydormorphone? Way TOOOOooooo strong for a weakling like me.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:14 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Prof100 & I have tried dedicated flaps with excellent results (using mechanical differential). Do it.
AJ
P.S. I just got out of the hospital (reverse shoulder replacemebt) and ?I am doing fine. Forgive my typing - i am not going back to correct typos because i only have one hand to use just now. Sure is good tobe back. Anyone want some spare hydormorphone? Way TOOOOooooo strong for a weakling like me.
Why would you have mechanical differential in the flaps?

Hope you recover soon...and lay off those pills.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:51 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I now know what the Power glider 'SS' really is.

DJ
It took me a while to understand what I was flying, once I did I no longer had to fight it. Take it up high and cut the power, up there it is in its element, with the sails unfurled.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:53 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
AJ
Did not know (how could I have) that you were in the hospital. Anyway it is good to hear that you are doing well. I bet your itching to get back in the air.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:50 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
AJ
Welcome back AJ. Hope you have a quick recovery so you can fly again.

I have just recently programed my SS to use it's ailerons as flaps in case I need to land in a small place. They work pretty good but I have not needed them much.

Vince