HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:59 AM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistimeanors View Post
I've adopted a similar approach using the AXN2208; I've adapted antennahead's UMM (#81) with a piece of ply recessed 12mm from stock aft of the moulding. Question - If the prop is now 45-50 mm further back than stock, will this have an effect on CoG?
The COG measurement should not change but the weight balance would now be tail heavy so you may need to add weight or mover the battery more forward.

Once you get it balanced perform a glide test to see if you are on the correct COG.
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:20 AM
Registered User
Russia, Moscow
Joined Jun 2010
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistimeanors View Post
I've adopted a similar approach using the AXN2208; I've adapted antennahead's UMM (#81) with a piece of ply recessed 12mm from stock aft of the moulding. Question - If the prop is now 45-50 mm further back than stock, will this have an effect on CoG?
1. Any part (mass) movement affects on CoG.
2. You should keep CoG on the same place (for example I try to keep CoG as close to carbon tube - in my opinion this position of CoG allow me more glider like flying)

so - if you move prop backward you should move something forward (ECS, receiver or battery)

important thing - keep motor (prop) spindle angle unchanged
ivanko2 is offline Find More Posts by ivanko2
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:19 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Well got the maiden done today and she flies very well on 4S with the monster motor!!!!!!
New BIx (9 min 11 sec)
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:40 PM
airplanes r made from aluminum
wilem's Avatar
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
Well got the maiden done today and she flies very well on 4S with the monster motor!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92h2_...ature=youtu.be
man that thing moves along pretty good.
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:05 PM
Limited flyer
Limited flyer's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Well, i put together my final sky surfur today.
Good thing to, i found out my elevator servo was stripped, replaced it with a
pkz 1060 , had to dremel out some foam to make it fit, but got er done,
thing is , it has a bit over 90 degrees of full travel on high rates so i will have to dial it down a wee bit other then that, still using parts from the first one.
The reason i went through so many of them is, i was trying to learn to fly all sorts of ways with the sky s, as you know it is not meant for flying out side it's intended purposes, wich, thanfully now i have other planes to fly differntly for many different stylles.
Gonna treat this one for what it was intended to do, FINALLY.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:36 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Sculptor's Avatar
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
Well, i put together my final sky surfur today.
Good thing to, i found out my elevator servo was stripped, replaced it with a
pkz 1060 , had to dremel out some foam to make it fit, but got er done,
thing is , it has a bit over 90 degrees of full travel on high rates so i will have to dial it down a wee bit other then that, still using parts from the first one.
The reason i went through so many of them is, i was trying to learn to fly all sorts of ways with the sky s, as you know it is not meant for flying out side it's intended purposes, wich, thanfully now i have other planes to fly differntly for many different stylles.
Gonna treat this one for what it was intended to do, FINALLY.
What exactly was it intended to do? Because I'm waiting on my next SS. I'm just learning to fly and I've destroyed one (28 flights, 17 crashes or hard landings) and set up a perfect Bix V1 and first flight (much wind as usually) and lost it in the mangroves.com. I can have the glider pilots in my club teach me how to fly this. I think I've been trying to fly it like a regular airplane. Those men tell me it will go were their 2 meter gliders will go, it just won't fly as well as theirs do and if you can't see the 'tail feathers' bring it down. In that group I'm the 'kid' at 67. The others range between 80 and 93 except for a few younger guys learning from them mostly. But they get such joy from finding the thermals and working them.

I don't know what the business and copy right arrangement might have been but between 'Bixler' and 'Blitzrc works' but consider this. Bixler came out with thier V2 say 2 or 3 weeks ago, I got one on the way. Within 7 day 'Blitzrc' debeaued their 'Super Sky Surfer' a plane with an 8' wing span a 'Monster 'Sky Surfer'

I think it is what it's advertized to be a 'Power Glider' and they know to keep thier focus.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Last edited by Sculptor; Aug 09, 2012 at 10:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:40 PM
Registered User
minizoom's Avatar
United States, CA, Yorba Linda
Joined Sep 2011
186 Posts
Just maiden my Skysurfer this evening at Glider point Yorba Linda. Only had one flight that lasted 31:40 on 3s 1300 and still had 11.7v left. This thing is pretty cool! My first glider! Kind of a nice change from EDF, Heli, and 3D planes.
minizoom is online now Find More Posts by minizoom
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 1km Flight with ZMR 250
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:17 AM
Limited flyer
Limited flyer's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
What exactly was it intended to do? Because I'm waiting on my next SS. I'm just learning to fly and I've destroyed one (28 flights, 17 crashes or hard landings) and set up a perfect Bix V1 and first flight (much wind as usually) and lost it in the mangroves.com. I can have the glider pilots in my club teach me how to fly this. I think I've been trying to fly it like a regular airplane. Those men tell me it will go were their 2 meter gliders will go, it just won't fly as well as theirs do and if you can't see the 'tail feathers' bring it down. In that group I'm the 'kid' at 67. The others range between 80 and 93 except for a few younger guys learning from them mostly. But they get such joy from finding the thermals and working them.

I don't know what the business and copy right arrangement might have been but between 'Bixler' and 'Blitzrc works' but consider this. Bixler came out with thier V2 say 2 or 3 weeks ago, I got one on the way. Within 7 day Bixler debeaued their 'Super Sky Surfer' a plane with an 8' wing span a 'Monster 'Sky Surfer'

I think it is what it's advertized to be a 'Power Glider' and they know to keep thier focus.

DJ
Well, it's like you said, i'll fly it like a motorized glider/ sail plane with the occasional loop thrown, no more of this trying to roll it buisness when you only got 25 feet to p;ay with, you know, crazy like that.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:18 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Sculptor's Avatar
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minizoom View Post
Just maiden my Skysurfer this evening at Glider point Yorba Linda. Only had one flight that lasted 31:40 on 3s 1300 and still had 11.7v left. This thing is pretty cool! My first glider! Kind of a nice change from EDF, Heli, and 3D planes.
I'm going to have just that kind of joy flying this Power Glider.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:33 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Sculptor's Avatar
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
Well, it's like you said, i'll fly it like a motorized glider/ sail plane with the occasional loop thrown, no more of this trying to roll it buisness when you only got 25 feet to p;ay with, you know, crazy like that.
Unlike the unpowered glider guy's this thing will do some power on flying.
Of the 10 things on a list of what beginner pilots like me do wrong I ck'd off 7 of them in my first week. "flew it too close too me, flew it too low, flew it down wind, flew it in high wind".

I still insist this plane will teach me to fly.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:47 AM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Unlike the unpowered glider guy's this thing will do some power on flying.
Of the 10 things on a list of what beginner pilots like me do wrong I ck'd off 7 of them in my first week. "flew it too close too me, flew it too low, flew it down wind, flew it in high wind".

I still insist this plane will teach me to fly.

DJ
I have a similar plane, the AXN Cloud Fly from Hobbyking. It can be a rocket at full throttle and a gentle high altitude glider with power off. Like you I am still learning to fly, but I have a little advantage because I flew RC for a while 25 years ago.

During the first couple of flights the AXN was a hand full for me. Often, the plane would challenged me with unexpected behaviors that I had to learn to manage while at the same time I was trying to learn to fly RC again.

The point is that it can be a bit more challenging to learn to flying these Easy Star clones because they are more akin to sailboats, while learning on a Cessna type trainer is like driving a power boat. The power boat generally goes where you point it but the sailboat is a child of the winds and requires more management.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:50 AM
Registered User
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Of the 10 things on a list of what beginner pilots like me do wrong I ck'd off 7 of them in my first week. "flew it too close too me, flew it too low, flew it down wind, flew it in high wind".DJ
Hang on, those are the interesting things. We were out there this afternoon (I'd done a flight at lunchtime too), blasting up and down the field with a bit of a cross wind. One (the last one) low pass, across the wind, and hard left on the ailerons before pull-up and in it went to the right. Split the nose wide open, bounced the wings apart. I watched S cross the same spot a couple of times after that (coming the other way), there was definitely some turbulence just at that spot, 20 metres from the goal posts.

Arh well, those are the risks of low flying, especially at full throttle.

As for flying down wind. We mostly do. It means the low sun is at our backs and we are coming into the wind towards us for landings or high speed low passes. Nothing wrong with flying down wind IF you are in control.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:26 AM
Quads, 4 times the fun.
Australia, NSW, Brookvale
Joined Apr 2011
731 Posts
Quick question for the experts here. I need to mount my GPS receiver in one of my wings of my Bixler (long story). I figure cutting in to the underside is better. It need a hole about 10mm x 10mm and 5 mm deep, about 20cm out from the fuselage. So, is it better to make the hole in front of or behind the spar, about 10mm away from the spar either way. Also, should I reinforce the foam around the hole or will it be ok?
rogueqd is offline Find More Posts by rogueqd
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:26 AM
Registered User
baxter's Avatar
Spain, PV, Las Arenas
Joined Jun 2009
141 Posts
Ups.. !
I can certify humans come from monkeys.....
baxter is offline Find More Posts by baxter
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:07 AM
Registered User
Russia, Moscow
Joined Jun 2010
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueqd View Post
Quick question for the experts here. I need to mount my GPS receiver in one of my wings of my Bixler (long story). I figure cutting in to the underside is better. It need a hole about 10mm x 10mm and 5 mm deep, about 20cm out from the fuselage. So, is it better to make the hole in front of or behind the spar, about 10mm away from the spar either way. Also, should I reinforce the foam around the hole or will it be ok?
it's all the same - before spar or behind it ( I prefere behind).
but I would cut the upperside instead
and apply
1. scotch to the underside,
2. balsa plate 30mmx30mmx1mm (with cut 10x10mm) to the upperside

as a tempopary solution you can apply scotch to the upperside in place of balsa

and you should place the same weight on the other wing at the same place (to keep the transversal balace)
ivanko2 is offline Find More Posts by ivanko2
Last edited by ivanko2; Aug 09, 2012 at 06:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Cyber Sky Parachute (Sky Surfer) shv2sail Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 May 28, 2013 03:14 AM
Discussion Sky Surfer nickwayne11c Electric Plane Talk 15 Nov 18, 2011 03:36 PM
Discussion Banana Hobby Sky Surfer Problems cavy92 Electric Plane Talk 56 Nov 02, 2010 03:49 AM
Question Sky Surfer LiPo mod, help... Freight Dog Power Systems 0 Aug 17, 2006 02:45 PM
Swashplate Assembly with Center Ball; is this the swash with ball mod i want? tekforce Micro Helis 4 Feb 08, 2004 06:28 PM