HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:08 PM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Damn! I thought I was supposed to get smarter as I got older.

I flew may second SS today, first flight, Gyro board set, static glide perfect. Wind speed 10-15. Got it up wind and tried to turn it - shift out of DR. into Full on, got it around.

When it came by it looked like it was going 100 MPH. Turning back I became disoriented and crashed into the mangroves that line the canal a quarter mile away.

I just ordered the Bix2. I will not try and fly this one in the wind. All the 'old heads' at the field said about my SS it's not a good trainer and it won't fly in the wind.

Talking about the wisdom of the veterans.

DJ
if you will use the rudder in addition to the ailerons you can fly it any where any time. you can do s turns from 400 feet and spot land on a dime....get rid of them gyros and fly that plane. of course mine are overweight and this makes them stable.
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
Last edited by wilem; Aug 03, 2012 at 10:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:26 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
996 Posts
I found once I knew how to fly the Bixler, it got better / more interesting flying with a bit of wind. A couple of us a few days ago just blasted round the sky all the time at full throttle. Both of us "thought it was a blast", as they say.

That was in winds I'd not even think or taking the plane out in a few months before. This was really "driving" (driving, not diving) the plane. Flying as if WE were in control, not the wind. Note, no gyros.... and note, I'm older than you (I'm sure). The other flier I was with is still at High School so obviously a better pilot than me.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:57 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Damn! I thought I was supposed to get smarter as I got older.

I flew may second SS today, first flight, Gyro board set, static glide perfect. Wind speed 10-15. Got it up wind and tried to turn it - shift out of DR. into Full on, got it around.

When it came by it looked like it was going 100 MPH. Turning back I became disoriented and crashed into the mangroves that line the canal a quarter mile away.

I just ordered the Bix2. I will not try and fly this one in the wind. All the 'old heads' at the field said about my SS it's not a good trainer and it won't fly in the wind.

Talking about the wisdom of the veterans.

DJ
Sculptor

While I don't care to I have flown in relatively windy conditions. You just have to muscle it around more but it flys.

I believe the problem you with you crash was similar to mine. I got disoriented and and made a bad control change then is got real bad.

Flying fast and going opposite of what you wanted usually ends up bad very quickly.

Spent most of today making repairs. Now I just have to make some servo tests and it will be ready to fly again.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:50 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined May 2011
690 Posts
Bix Vids

The Bixler got a good FPV workout this weekend.

I uploaded a couple of clips from the last flight.

Bixler FPV (1 min 58 sec)

Bixler FPV 2 (2 min 0 sec)

Cheers.
Gimmer is offline Find More Posts by Gimmer
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:05 AM
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined Feb 2012
68 Posts
I have a brand new in box Sky Surfer for sale with 4 x 9g servos and an overlander 25amp speedo, comes with brushless motor also but no battery or radio gear. In the UK south coast. Got it as a spare but the Bixler is still going strong.
MonkeysPunk is offline Find More Posts by MonkeysPunk
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:10 AM
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmer View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmN3uWs3oA4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUI_TR_cmIk

Cheers.
great vids... whats your setup
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:10 AM
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeysPunk View Post
I have a brand new in box Sky Surfer for sale with 4 x 9g servos and an overlander 25amp speedo, comes with brushless motor also but no battery or radio gear. In the UK south coast. Got it as a spare but the Bixler is still going strong.
you cant kill a bixler
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:48 AM
wottree
United Kingdom, England, Exeter
Joined Nov 2011
296 Posts
Hi Guys, Ok; so SS #2. Gonna apply the lessons learnt from my first, just need some help with removing the decals!
I dont have 3 weeks to spend picking at them! thought I found the answer but it didn't work in practice
Have looked on here and maybe I am missing something.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Ands
ands is offline Find More Posts by ands
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:04 PM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmer View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmN3uWs3oA4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUI_TR_cmIk

Cheers.
Great Proximity flying! What Camera did you use?
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mantis Y-6, with Gimbal test II
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ands View Post
Hi Guys, Ok; so SS #2. Gonna apply the lessons learnt from my first, just need some help with removing the decals!
I dont have 3 weeks to spend picking at them! thought I found the answer but it didn't work in practice
Have looked on here and maybe I am missing something.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Ands
They may come off with hot water or a light sand paper. Are they that hard to peel off?
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:37 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
They may come off with hot water or a light sand paper. Are they that hard to peel off?
I've peeled them off both SS that I had. Put a small, flat screw driver blade under the corner and peel back.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:44 PM
wottree
Joined Nov 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
"hard to peel off" ?!!!
Lets just say, I really wouldn't bother unless, like me, you find the supplied decals so bad in design and aesthetics that it hurts my eyes to look at!
Oh, and you have got a few days to spare and don't mind a pitted finish to your bird!

They are so thin and super stuck down!
I have tried warm water and soap, Packing tape applied and ripped of (like a band aid/plaster) and just simple luck...all of which dont really work that well.
Might try and cover them with a layer of pva glue to give them a thicker coat and try again!

IMO, dont sand them. It aint gonna work i think!

Ands
Old Aug 04, 2012, 03:28 PM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsj View Post
I agree that the nose wasn't heavy. I checked the CG before launching. I think the problem was how I mounted the camara. I used scotch tape around the camara and with the tape tapered in an angle according to the shape of the back of the camara, it may have caught too much wind which pulled the nose down. I couldn't explained how else the plane just nose dive without me pushing on the elevator. Then again, I'm no expert so it could have been pilot error. One thing I learned though is never to mount camara this way again.
Many years back on one of my first Easy Stars, I suffered the same unexplained dive. I had crashed a couple of times earlier, but with no apparent damage. This time it, like yours, went into a steep dive and litterally lawn darted iself in a freshly plowed field next to where I fly. I took it home cleaned it up, worked all servos, and all appeared fine. Then just before launching again, I worked the elevator and that is when I heard the elevator servo gears make a funny noise and lock up tight. When I took the servo apart a couple of the gears (Hitec 81) had stripped during an earlier flight/crash. You may want to check this out.

Just a thought.

Jack
jpgcag is offline Find More Posts by jpgcag
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:33 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ands View Post
"hard to peel off" ?!!!
Lets just say, I really wouldn't bother unless, like me, you find the supplied decals so bad in design and aesthetics that it hurts my eyes to look at!
Oh, and you have got a few days to spare and don't mind a pitted finish to your bird!

They are so thin and super stuck down!
I have tried warm water and soap, Packing tape applied and ripped of (like a band aid/plaster) and just simple luck...all of which dont really work that well.
Might try and cover them with a layer of pva glue to give them a thicker coat and try again!

IMO, dont sand them. It aint gonna work i think!

Ands
Heck after a few months of flying my decals cracked and just about fall off like scabs. I could easily peel them off now but I think they help hold the foam together.

Maybe the newer models used a better glue.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:43 PM
wottree
Joined Nov 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
Heck after a few months of flying my decals cracked and just about fall off like scabs. I could easily peel them off now but I think they help hold the foam together.

Maybe the newer models used a better glue.
I have this theory that the decals on the SS (cant comment on the bixler) are applied then there is a coat of clear varnish applied afterwards. Hence they are brittle and when finally removed leave an uncoated base.

Great if you don't ever want to remove the decals but a ***** if you do!

Ands