SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:12 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I know you can fix your plane but can I say this. If a new plane is perfect a 'fixed' plane is different.

Consider this, a broken horizontal stabilizer cannot be fixed with reasonable effort. The glue joint has more flex than the total surface, it never works right. DJ
I'd tend to disagree. I broke a wing off level with the inner end of an aileron. I just went out to the "hanger" and checked the flex. If anything (crudely checked), I'd say it was slightly stiffer on the repaired side than the other side.

I used Gorilla polyurethane glue.

I'd, if mine, fix the tail plane and carry on flying the next day (giving a night for glue to dry). Spares would probably take nearly 2 weeks to arrive from HK.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 01:30 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,161 Posts
As well as buying popsicle sticks from the $2 shop, I also get the bigger Tongue Depresser sticks for repairs.
Just a suggestion while while repairs and how go about it is being discussed.

Which just reminded me, our club has just started a monthly 'workshop' where we all meet up at local 'Neighbourhood Community Centre' from 7pm -10pm to discuss "How To's" - such as Building, Repairing, Tools every tool/flight box needs & how to use them.
Generally exchange ideas, plus we bring any smashed planes to help each repair them using the old 'think tank' to get the best result!! - Just another thought for you to suggest to your club to try!

-B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:15 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
I'd tend to disagree. I broke a wing off level with the inner end of an aileron. I just went out to the "hanger" and checked the flex. If anything (crudely checked), I'd say it was slightly stiffer on the repaired side than the other side.

I used Gorilla polyurethane glue.

I'd, if mine, fix the tail plane and carry on flying the next day (giving a night for glue to dry). Spares would probably take nearly 2 weeks to arrive from HK.
I tried to use CA to fix mine and it was very flexy I'll try Gorilla poly next time thanks.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:16 PM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
these planes are tough as a hog snout. Mine was recovered today after being in the elements for 2 months and a few days. Took my FPV electronics off of it plugged up the pcm receiver and flew it around like a mad acrobat.... I am truly impressed with the durability of this plane

this local guy brought it by to me.. he let me search his land for it.

By weezbadimageshac at 2012-08-03 ...
My lost BIXLER FPV (2 min 12 sec)
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:40 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Well, y'all told me that this was not a good Idea putting the Eagle A3 gyro board upside down in the canopy and you were right.
First flight yesterday after perfect, power off glide test. The weird stuff this plane was doing is beyond description, crashed it 3 or 4 times, no damage.

The rudder and elevator were reversed and the ailerons were OK. Lesson learned.

So I said to myself I said "self, when senior advisers on this board say something it probably a bad Idea then It's a bad Idea"

DJ
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:51 PM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,142 Posts
One tip for all you home editors out there...

LOWER the sound of the motor when you edit it and render it to sth you can post on youtube.

It saves my, and countless other peoples ears !

KM
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
Old Aug 03, 2012, 05:36 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
1,025 Posts
Got my 808 fake #16 camara this week. Rushed to mount it with scotch tape on the nose and didn't think about how this will cause the nose to dip. She was flying okay and all of sudden she took a real nose dive from level flight and became non-responsive to anything I do. She was flying okay 15 mins before I mounted the camara. Obviously this was my first attempt in monting a camara --- possibly may be my last flight with Bixler 1; will have to assess damage later. Have been looking for excuse to buy bixler2 though.

Hobby King Bixler crashed at Baylands park in Sunnyvale (1 min 6 sec)
ccsj is online now Find More Posts by ccsj
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:00 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
808 cam isn't heavy enough to cause the Bixler to be nose heavy enough to make any noticable flight charactistics.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:09 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,071 Posts
The camera can't be the problem, it is too light. Admittedly I did do an inverted landing with my camera fitted, beginning of June. Scattered the camera up the road and broke half a wing off plus the tail feathers. It was totally pilot error.

A month or so before that I was coming round on to finals when the turn stopped and it went into a tree. The camera was my "blackbox" and I could see from the video when the turn stopped, being the point when an aileron horn came off. That was before rehinging and wiring on all fitting so if the glue breaks, they'll still be there.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:04 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem View Post
these planes are tough as a hog snout. Mine was recovered today after being in the elements for 2 months and a few days. Took my FPV electronics off of it plugged up the pcm receiver and flew it around like a mad acrobat.... I am truly impressed with the durability of this plane

this local guy brought it by to me.. he let me search his land for it.
That's the guy who stole my truck! Grab em! I had 2 plucked chickens in the back seat.

Quote:
Well, y'all told me that this was not a good Idea putting the Eagle A3 gyro board upside down in the canopy and you were right.
First flight yesterday after perfect, power off glide test. The weird stuff this plane was doing is beyond description, crashed it 3 or 4 times, no damage.

The rudder and elevator were reversed and the ailerons were OK. Lesson learned.

So I said to myself I said "self, when senior advisers on this board say something it probably a bad Idea then It's a bad Idea"

DJ
It's amazing how when we get older and wonder why our kids don't listen to our advice since we've "been there and done that" and we do the same thing.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:59 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
808 cam isn't heavy enough to cause the Bixler to be nose heavy enough to make any noticable flight charactistics.
I agree that the nose wasn't heavy. I checked the CG before launching. I think the problem was how I mounted the camara. I used scotch tape around the camara and with the tape tapered in an angle according to the shape of the back of the camara, it may have caught too much wind which pulled the nose down. I couldn't explained how else the plane just nose dive without me pushing on the elevator. Then again, I'm no expert so it could have been pilot error. One thing I learned though is never to mount camara this way again.
ccsj is online now Find More Posts by ccsj
Old Aug 03, 2012, 08:37 PM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
2,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kusunokimasahige View Post

LOWER the sound of the motor when you edit it and render it to sth you can post on youtube.

KM
I just use my volume!!
Not that hard to do!!
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Old Aug 03, 2012, 08:47 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
That's the guy who stole my truck! Grab em! I had 2 plucked chickens in the back seat.

It's amazing how when we get older and wonder why our kids don't listen to our advice since we've "been there and done that" and we do the same thing.
Damn! I thought I was supposed to get smarter as I got older.

I flew may second SS today, first flight, Gyro board set, static glide perfect. Wind speed 10-15. Got it up wind and tried to turn it - shift out of DR. into Full on, got it around.

When it came by it looked like it was going 100 MPH. Turning back I became disoriented and crashed into the mangroves that line the canal a quarter mile away.

I just ordered the Bix2. I will not try and fly this one in the wind. All the 'old heads' at the field said about my SS it's not a good trainer and it won't fly in the wind.

Talking about the wisdom of the veterans.

DJ
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:09 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Damn! I thought I was supposed to get smarter as I got older.

I flew may second SS today, first flight, Gyro board set, static glide perfect. Wind speed 10-15. Got it up wind and tried to turn it - shift out of DR. into Full on, got it around.

When it came by it looked like it was going 100 MPH. Turning back I became disoriented and crashed into the mangroves that line the canal a quarter mile away.

I just ordered the Bix2. I will not try and fly this one in the wind. All the 'old heads' at the field said about my SS it's not a good trainer and it won't fly in the wind.

Talking about the wisdom of the veterans.

DJ
It gets thrown around in the wind a bit, a properly setup gyro or stabilizer however will make it tolerate a descent bit of wind. I routinely fly in 5 to 10mph winds, sometimes 15mph but that's pushing it for me (my Groundstation will start to fall over at 15+ gusts). I have flown in 20mph and certainly encountered much stronger gusts then that at higher altitudes flying FPV, though granted my FY31AP makes wind easy, I ROUTINELY land in direct 10mph crosswinds and she comes in straight as an arrow like there was hardly any at all (granted with a little bit of crabbing :P), so the airframe CAN handle wind, but for learning I really recommend less then 5mph winds, BUT fly a sim, any sim and dial up winds as you get used to different planes and airframes, it helps a lot.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:06 PM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kusunokimasahige View Post

KM
yeah but it sharpens your reflexes.
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
Last edited by wilem; Aug 03, 2012 at 10:41 PM.