HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:19 PM
United States, NY, Victor
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyg76 View Post
OK thanks. Let me rephrase ... the only US seller with Sky Surfer in stock?
cassb is offline Find More Posts by cassb
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:21 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Simon, I love it! (Your Silver/Orange Bixler1) -BILL!
Thanks Bill, just hope she flies!!
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:10 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
Just got to wait for paint to dry then I can see if it will fly!!!!!
The plane looks very good with those colors and your simple layout.

I pulled all the HK and SS stickers off my plane and left the graphics, why, This plane is so personal to me because it taught me to fly and that makes it mine. I will decorate it.

Thank you for the inspiration.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:49 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Try not to crash!!!

Sculptor

Based on my latest flight today I would take everything I told you and throw it out.

Needless to say I crashed my SS and boy did it hit the ground hard.

Since I had a cam on the plane and on my hat I was able to investigate what may have happened. It looks like when I flew from my right to left almost straight overhead I made an incorrect control change and put it into a dive straight down. Stupid mistake of not shutting off the throttle in time before it hit. Time from incorrect control change to ground was about 1.5 to 2 seconds.

It is beat up as you can see from the pix but I will be able to fix the body and replace a couple of the servos that may be damaged.

Funny while I was a little upset it did not bother me anywhere near as much as the first time I crashed. It's all part of the fun. Build, fly , land, fly, crash, build, fly, etc.

Just added the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=a1V2HPzNs6o
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Last edited by Eagle202; Aug 02, 2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: added video
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Sculptor

Based on my latest flight today I would take everything I told you and throw it out.

Since I had a cam on the plane and on my hat I was able to investigate what may have happened. It looks like when I flew from my right to left almost straight overhead I made an incorrect control change and put it into a dive straight down. Stupid mistake of not shutting off the throttle in time before it hit. Time from incorrect control change to ground was about 1.5 to 2 seconds.

It is beat up as you can see from the pix but I will be able to fix the body and replace a couple of the servos that may be damaged.

Funny while I was a little upset it did not bother me anywhere near as much as the first time I crashed. It's all part of the fun. Build, fly , land, fly, crash, build, fly, etc.
That looks repairable to me. With mine, I've crashed so many times that the foam is getting warped, so the cockpit cover doesn't fit any more and I can't bend the foam back into its original shape. The wings have bends and dents that I can't remove. So I think it's time to get a new kit and start over ... at least I don't have to replace the motor and other hardware.

I'm open to suggestions on how to reinforce the foam so that when it crashes nose-first, the front of the plane doesn't bend and break off.

Bryan
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassb View Post
That looks repairable to me. With mine, I've crashed so many times that the foam is getting warped, so the cockpit cover doesn't fit any more and I can't bend the foam back into its original shape. The wings have bends and dents that I can't remove. So I think it's time to get a new kit and start over ... at least I don't have to replace the motor and other hardware.

I'm open to suggestions on how to reinforce the foam so that when it crashes nose-first, the front of the plane doesn't bend and break off.

Bryan
I plan on making repairs. It shouldn't be too hard.

As for adding strength to the nose and cockpit. I add pop sickle sticks which works since the latest damage did not deform the nose.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:37 PM
flyvertigo
Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
456 Posts
Quote:

Bryan
It has been my experience that reinforcement just makes the task of repairing the damage more difficult. The foam parts are more easily repaired if you don't have to deal with the carbon pieces that you used to reinforce.

Jim
flyvertigo is online now Find More Posts by flyvertigo
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:50 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Sculptor

Just added the video
Oh man, sorry to see it, but as you said fly, crash etc ...
Im grounded too, building new one LOL
Mine did not look this bad but I just got tired of fixing and gave it away to a friend :-)
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Oh man, sorry to see it, but as you said fly, crash etc ...
Im grounded too, building new one LOL
Mine did not look this bad but I just got tired of fixing and gave it away to a friend :-)
this was my first crash that broke anything. All of the others were mostly bumps and nicks and just one good nose plant.

I'll be able to fix it by this weekend and try it out if the weather is good.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:01 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,120 Posts
It looks as if you almost pulled out of the dive before impact. At least you weren't inverted and wiping the camera on the ground as I did not long ago.

The nick in the port trailing edge, I'd use Spackle to fill it and it will look better than new. I had the same type of cut after breaking a wing spar and crashing. It appears to be done by the prop.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
I plan on making repairs. It shouldn't be too hard.

As for adding strength to the nose and cockpit. I add pop sickle sticks which works since the latest damage did not deform the nose.
Hmm... can you show a pic of how you used the popsicle sticks to reinforce it? I was thinking just tape, but sticks might be better.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:16 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Sculptor

Wow, we both had a day of continuing education. I crashed 4 times with my first flights with my second plane. I had two gyro setting reversed. What a wild ride. I didn't realize it until I got home and was doing an 'after the fact' flight ck.

As you know I'm into Gyro control boards but I'm here to say "set them up right" and they will be your co-pilot. Set them up wrong and they will bring your plane down. I had two gyros reversed today. That was a very deferent flight experience.

I know you can fix your plane but can I say this. If a new plane is perfect a 'fixed' plane is different. Consider this , a broken horizontal stabilizer cannot be fixed with reasonable effort, The glue joint has more flex than the total surface, it never works right.

You didn't ask a question so I should give no advice, but I can't help it. I've just set-up a V1 Bixler and thats what I'm trying to fly right now. The airframe is so cheep that fixing them makes sense only if you like to work on foam RC planes, small stuff fine. I'm not an RC plane mechanic and never intend to be. Because of the 'Foam and Elictric' airplane we can all play.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Last edited by Sculptor; Aug 02, 2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:40 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Hmm... can you show a pic of how you used the popsicle sticks to reinforce it? I was thinking just tape, but sticks might be better.
you can see the popsicle stick in the photo of my crash. I put one on each side just below the opening. I first used hot glue and clamps but that did not hold so I used CA glue and clamps to keep it in place.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Wow, we both had a day of continuing education. I crashed 4 times with my first flights with my second plane. I had two gyro setting reversed. What a wild ride. I didn't realize it until I got home and was doing an 'after the fact' flight ck.

As you know I'm into Gyro control boards but I'm here to say "set them up right" and they will be your co-pilot. Set them up wrong and they will bring your plane down. I had two gyros reversed today. That was a very deferent flight experience.

I know you can fix your plane but can I say this. If a new plane is perfect a 'fixed' plane is different. Consider this , a broken horizontal stabilizer cannot be fixed with reasonable effort, The glue joint has more flex than the total surface, it never works right.

You didn't ask a question so I should give no advice, but I can't help it. I've just set-up a V1 Bixler and thats what I'm trying to fly right now. The airframe is so cheep that fixing them makes sense only if you like to work on foam RC planes, small stuff fine. I'm not an RC plane mechanic and never intend to be. Because of the 'Foam and Elictric' airplane we can all play.

DJ
I agree that the stabilizer will be an issue but I plan on using 2mm carbon rods as dowels all glued with CA.

The left aileron may need a thin flat piece of carbon underneath but I will have to use something on the other side to balance the weight. We will see how it fly's after the repairs. Although I believe it is beyond the ability to fly any acrobats.

As a fall back, I have a full set of body parts that I can build a new plane out of. That one does not have any decals.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
you can see the popsicle stick in the photo of my crash. I put one on each side just below the opening. I first used hot glue and clamps but that did not hold so I used CA glue and clamps to keep it in place.
OK, I see it now, thanks! That's a great idea, although I think I will move mine toward the back a little more, since that spot is the weakest where the back of the canopy is. I might see if I can maybe cut a slot and glue it in perpendicular to the foam... that might hold a little better. Thanks for the idea!