Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 26, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
I am still waiting for the all the parts for my plane. While I am waiting I have been looking at it carefully.

The wire that come from the motor and connect to the ESC end just barely into the cockpit area.

Would it be a good idea to add a little extension to them so that the connection is more accessible ?
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:50 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
You can balance it at 65mm and it will fly just fine. For both of mine, I use a 72mm CG and I have no problems at all. After flying both of them many hundreds of flights, the recommended 60mm is just too nose heavy for this plane.
AJ
+1 on 60mm being nose heavy. 70mm just right for me.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:27 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
I am still waiting for the all the parts for my plane. While I am waiting I have been looking at it carefully.

The wire that come from the motor and connect to the ESC end just barely into the cockpit area.

Would it be a good idea to add a little extension to them so that the connection is more accessible ?
The same question is on my mind also. I'm adding 3" to them and I may be adding connectors close to the ESC in case I want to change it out without cutting the top of the plane apart.

I must say i was surprised when I ordered a new airframe what I got was a V1. My original is a V3 the only thing thats the same is the outside profile. Everything about the V1 is primitive compared to the V3.

The motor connectors aren't excisable in V1 unless I pull them back to the vent hole but that will restrict cooling. Even then I'll have to cut off the motor top to get to them. The original SS, V3 was a Blitzrc works production sold by Banana Hobby. I couldn't get a V3 replacement airframe, out stock, so I ordered a Bixler and got the V1. I will not do that again.

This V1 airframe would never be able to withstand half the damage that the V4 withstood. I damn nere decided not to put it together and get a V4 but I've decided to go ahead with it with no mods except a prop change and just try not to crash it, I know I will crash it, then I'll fix it until it won't fly anymore.

Now I'm going to pontificate a bit. If you can understand, I know it's not your need to hear it, it's more my need to say it. Because you already know it and I'm still trying to sort it out.

New person coming into this:

Has all the experience of the forums avaiable to them and the advice it is thoughtfully and gracefully given to them. From videos to charts and first three page primmer by AJ to get it all started right.

So what can go wrong? The student! Here is why.
Assume student has found this 'Board', ask question.

What do I need to know to start with?
Board: "Get a good balance charger because it won't set your house on fire"
1. Student does not know what a 'balance charger' is and why would he?
Board: Read page #1 to get started.
1. Student does not know how to prioritize the information WHY?

A foundation of my work in younger years was as an educational methods desighner for the US Job Corp, Breckenridge, Ky.
the single most chalaging teaching experience was learning that if the student had know way of knowing the value of his question, he had know way of knowning the value of the answer.

Like the man said "Fly it like you stoled it"

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Last edited by Sculptor; Jul 26, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:47 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
The same question is on my mind also. I'm adding 3" to them and I may be adding connectors close to the ESC in case I want to change it out without cutting the top of the plane apart.

I must say i was surprised when I ordered a new airframe what I got was a V1. My original is a V3 the only thing thats the same is the outside profile. Everything about the V1 is primitive compared to the V3.

The motor connectors aren't excisable in V1 unless I pull them back to the vent hole but that will restrict cooling. Even then I'll have to cut off the motor top to get to them. The original SS, V3 was a Blitzrc works production sold by Banana Hobby. I couldn't get a V3 replacement airframe, out stock, so I ordered a Bixler and got the V1. I will not do that again.

This V1 airframe would never be able to withstand half the damage that the V4 withstood. I damn nere decided not to put it together and get a V4 but I've decided to go ahead with it with no mods except a prop change and just try not to crash it, I know I will crash it, then I'll fix it until it won't fly anymore.

Now I'm going to pontificate a bit. If you can understand, I know it's not your need to hear it, it's more my need to say it. Because you already know it and I'm still trying to sort it out.

New person coming into this:

Has all the experience of the forums avaiable to them and the advice it is thoughtfully and gracefully given to them. From videos to charts and first three page primmer by AJ to get it all started right.

So what can go wrong? The student! Here is why.
Assume student has found this 'Board', ask question.

What do I need to know to start with?
Board: "Get a good balance charger because it won't set your house on fire"
1. Student does not know what a 'balance charger' is and why would he?
Board: Read page #1 to get started.
1. Student does not know how to prioritize the information WHY?

A foundation of my work in younger years was as an educational methods desighner for the US Job Corp, Breckenridge, Ky.
the single most chalaging teaching experience was learning that if the student had know way of knowing the value of his question, he had know way of knowning the value of the answer.

Like the man said "Fly it like you stoled it"

DJ
Sculptor

You bring up a good point when you say that someone just getting into this hobby may need a lot more guidance from an instructor then just "here is the book go read it". That is too general an answer for a general question.

There is a lot of good and varying information on page # 1 of this thread that AJ has put together but a nubee may still have a hard time deciding which bit of information is the correct one to follow first.

I think they should be told to first look at the "Parts List" on post # 2 of page # 1 followed by the "Assembly tips and build logs".

That is enough information for anyone to start with to get a good foundation to build their plane.

If they need some more basic information like; where do I buy it, what is the difference, what does that word mean, what should I be cautious about, they can be told to look at a specific area of post # 2.

If they want to know about specific upgrades then direct them to post # 3.

If they are still not sure about something then at least they have more information for them to ask a specific question.

As you stated most Students need guidance to help them prioritized which questions to ask first.

I believe the experienced builders on this thread have the ability to help them do that.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:48 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:

DJ
I think that I want to do that as well. Can you tell me what the standard connectors that I have are called. ( a link to an extension cable would be best).

I know that connecting it once will be a nightmare, and I would like to have to do it only once.

As far as your soliloquy goes.... I will pass.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:59 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,597 Posts
Quote:
I think that I want to do that as well. Can you tell me what the standard connectors that I have are called. ( a link to an extension cable would be best).

I know that connecting it once will be a nightmare, and I would like to have to do it only once.

As far as your soliloquy goes.... I will pass.
Shimmy

The connectors I use for my motors are the 3.5mm type.

Here is the extension wires I purchased from Headsuprc. They are 7" long but that shouldn't cause you any issues. They are nicely terminated which eliminates some soldering for you.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...for-ESC/Detail

I hope that works for you.

I found a manual for the V3 Skysurfer. Maybe this will help you with the assembly. Just remember that there are slightly differences between the version of this plane.

Vince
Last edited by Eagle202; Jul 27, 2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:05 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,155 Posts
Easy enough to make your own (as I did for the Bixler)
But THOSE are interesting when you tend to get LAZY like I do OFTEN!!
Think I'll buy a few packs.
So I say NICE!! Good spotting Vince.

B!LL!

PS: And another on-line Hobby Store I've never seen before to browse through!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
They are out of stock right now.

I can handle making them myself if I can get the connectors. (do they have a name) Does HK sell the connectors or the made extensions?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:13 AM
Deutschland, RP, Hillscheid
Joined Nov 2010
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Hopefully it doesn't get damaged when it hits the ground or wet if it rains.
Bixler is back on earth. I used a long ladder and a 8m telescope tube.
It landed fine and has no damage. Only LiPo is dead.
Elo WW is offline Find More Posts by Elo WW
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Eagle202,

Thanks for the manual. I will read it later. This helps me on my way. I was asking myself how do I bind the Tx/Rx and the manual addresses that.

I have the same Tx (with a different name). it has a Nor/Mix switch on it so I gather that it can be programmed to mix. At some point I will have to learn about that as well.

Thanks again
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,597 Posts
Quote:
They are out of stock right now.

I can handle making them myself if I can get the connectors. (do they have a name) Does HK sell the connectors or the made extensions?
Shimmy

I just thought about it but the original motor that came with my SS has connectors that are smaller then the 3.5mm that I mentioned. You may want to measure the ones that came with your motor. Once you have made the measurement you should be able to match them up.

The standard sizes are 2.0mm, 3.5mm, 4.0mm, 5.5mm and up. There are also specialty type connectors for batteries and such. HK sell most of these connectors and wiring to make your own motor lead extensions. Headsuprc also has most of this hardware and usually ships faster than HK if you live in
the USA. Hope that helps you.

Vince
Last edited by Eagle202; Jul 27, 2012 at 10:01 AM. Reason: bolded connectors
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:13 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Sculptor

You bring up a good point when you say that someone just getting into this hobby may need a lot more guidance from an instructor then just "here is the book go read it". That is too general an answer for a general question.

There is a lot of good and varying information on page # 1 of this thread that AJ has put together but a nubee may still have a hard time deciding which bit of information is the correct one to follow first.

I think they should be told to first look at the "Parts List" on post # 2 of page # 1 followed by the "Assembly tips and build logs".

That is enough information for anyone to start with to get a good foundation to build their plane.

If they need some more basic information like; where do I buy it, what is the difference, what does that word mean, what should I be cautious about, they can be told to look at a specific area of post # 2.

If they want to know about specific upgrades then direct them to post # 3.

If they are still not sure about something then at least they have more information for them to ask a specific question.

As you stated most Students need guidance to help them prioritized which questions to ask first.

I believe the experienced builders on this thread have the ability to help them do that.
The pages 1-3 have nearly everything anyone needs and then there is the Board. Some students have flown RC plane before and some like me had never even seen an Rc plane until buying one.

AJ and his associates have done a wonderful job creating and formating this thread and it's of great service to us all.

I for one started so far back that I had to make a 3 ring binder starting with a glossary of terms. I didn't know, for example what a TX was or RX, CG, ESC etc, so I couldn't use much of what I was reading at first. Then 'RC Airplane Basics'. The importance of proper set-up for example. Then I started printing out post from this board and including them in my book. I ruined 3 Lipo batteries using the little charger that comes with the plane, it was defective so my book includes a chapter 'Batteries and chargers' and on like that.

So I suppose the student needs to take it upon himself to get the info then try and prioritize it, learn it and use it. There is a lot to learn before even thinking about actually flying the plane.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:06 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,597 Posts
Quote:
The pages 1-3 have nearly everything anyone needs and then there is the Board. Some students have flown RC plane before and some like me had never even seen an Rc plane until buying one.

AJ and his associates have done a wonderful job creating and formating this thread and it's of great service to us all.

I for one started so far back that I had to make a 3 ring binder starting with a glossary of terms. I didn't know, for example what a TX was or RX, CG, ESC etc, so I couldn't use much of what I was reading at first. Then 'RC Airplane Basics'. The importance of proper set-up for example. Then I started printing out post from this board and including them in my book. I ruined 3 Lipo batteries using the little charger that comes with the plane, it was defective so my book includes a chapter 'Batteries and chargers' and on like that.

So I suppose the student needs to take it upon himself to get the info then try and prioritize it, learn it and use it. There is a lot to learn before even thinking about actually flying the plane.

DJ
I agree. They need to learn about the plane a little before they fly or they will get discouraged with failed flights.

I still think that directing the person to a specific item or post is a little bit better than just telling them to read the first page. It can be overwhelming to some people (me included) when I went to look for specific data.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:02 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,919 Posts
Don't forget what a useful resource YouTube is. You will finds lots of instructional RC related videos. Some are general whilst others are very specific e.g. how to program your DX8 for controlling an F27-Q.
They say a picture is worth an thousand words so I guess a well made video is worth 10,000.
Here is a good video explaining ESC's
RC Motor and ESC Wiring - Part 1 (8 min 51 sec)

Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Last edited by headlessagain; Jul 27, 2012 at 01:21 PM.