SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:31 PM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
[QUOTE Where is the Bixler?
QUOTE]

Been there done that. Heres a short clip of one of my crashes.

EZ Flight with alternate ending (2 min 29 sec)

The was 4 years ago and so far I haven't gone in again.

Jack
jpgcag is offline Find More Posts by jpgcag
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:33 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jul 2011
20 Posts
Help newbie in distress!! I have my skysurfer mods completed was wondering when I place the plane on CG it is still tail heavy even with the battery. No FPV or camera yet to new for that. I am sure I need to add weight but just want to make sure. I removed the washers in the nose but think I may need to add some back before the maiden.
TCJ4 is offline Find More Posts by TCJ4
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:07 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCJ4 View Post
Help newbie in distress!! I have my skysurfer mods completed was wondering when I place the plane on CG it is still tail heavy even with the battery. No FPV or camera yet to new for that. I am sure I need to add weight but just want to make sure. I removed the washers in the nose but think I may need to add some back before the maiden.
What size battery? Where is it positioned?
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Jul 2011
20 Posts
The battery is a 3c 1600 and is positioned in the nose
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:11 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,733 Posts
Quote:
First question I suppose is to describe what your "mods" were. When I built my first Bixler I glued the recommended 3mm carbon tube under the aft fuselage and used a more powerful and heavier inrunner motor which made my build tail heavy and required me to replace about half of the washers in the nose to make CG. In my opinion, neither mod was necessary and I won't do them on my next build. That said, if you have built yours tail heavy for whatever reason or not, if it needs weight forward to make CG you are going to have to do so. If a larger battery won't get you there then some ballast has to be replaced.

By the way, the CG is wherever it balances without regard to where it is supposed to balance. Ya gotta do whatcha hafta do to move it and make it balance where it is supposed to balance. Said just to eliminate confusion.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:07 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
IF your setting up your Bix for FPV it's going to be tail heavy without the gear :P If I stripped off all of my FPV gear and LG, OMG my plane would be super tail heavy :P.

I use a 2700mah 3S and a 500mah 3S right up to the very front of the nose, even with a 2200mah my plane would be too tail heavy, I would have to use a 1300mah as my secondary to balance it properly.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:17 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,620 Posts
Quote:
The battery is a 3c 1600 and is positioned in the nose
Use a 2200 3S or tape a couple of quarters to the nose.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:45 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,104 Posts
I use 2200 mAh battery and no weights. No carbon rod in the fuselage. CoG at ~65 mm from wing leading edge.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Jul 2011
20 Posts
The mods I made were taped the fuselage after placing carbon spar along bottom. Taped the nose and removed the washers from the nose. Inserted carbon spar inside the carbon tube for wings. Taped the edges of the wings. I placed earth magnets in the wings and also used hooks for rubber bands to secure the wings. Replaced the prop as suggested. So I will replace some of the washers to level it out and try a maiden and hope for the best. I have been building a few planes but just starting so am learning as I go with all the help from the internet. Thanks for the comments they are all much appreciated.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:47 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,603 Posts
Not sure where you are getting all the tail weight. Mine has carbon rod underneath, removed the washers in the nose and use a 2200ma 3S battery about 1/2' from fully forward. C of G 65mm flies great. I would think that with FPV gear you would need to add tail weight.
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:50 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,733 Posts
Quote:
The mods I made were taped the fuselage after placing carbon spar along bottom. Taped the nose and removed the washers from the nose. Inserted carbon spar inside the carbon tube for wings. Taped the edges of the wings. I placed earth magnets in the wings and also used hooks for rubber bands to secure the wings. Replaced the prop as suggested. So I will replace some of the washers to level it out and try a maiden and hope for the best. I have been building a few planes but just starting so am learning as I go with all the help from the internet. Thanks for the comments they are all much appreciated.
You seem to know what is needed to get it right. Sometimes though less is better. Build to fly not crash and it most likely will crash less. Good luck and tell us how your maiden goes.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:23 AM
Russian Federation, Kaluzhskaya oblast, Kaluga
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Pavel

Interesting design. Since I could not read the words under the pictures what did you use to attach the screws and tiny legs to the ring with. Some type of glue?

Vince
Vince, submitted to the frame area with a copper coating. These sites, with solder acid were soldered 4 nuts and 4 amp. In the photo album, this process is illustrated in detail.
Pavel_D is offline Find More Posts by Pavel_D
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:08 AM
Deutschland, RP, Hillscheid
Joined Nov 2010
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
I have been there once. Got out a little too far and when I came back I thought I had clearance but it hit a tree.

Mine at least came down by itself with minimal damage. Mostly my pride was hurt from all the laughs from family spectators.

Did yours come down ok?
It did not come down until now. I'm waiting for some wind.
Elo WW is offline Find More Posts by Elo WW
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:04 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo WW View Post
It did not come down until now. I'm waiting for some wind.
Hopefully it doesn't get damaged when it hits the ground or wet if it rains.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:54 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
You can balance it at 65mm and it will fly just fine. For both of mine, I use a 72mm CG and I have no problems at all. After flying both of them many hundreds of flights, the recommended 60mm is just too nose heavy for this plane.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker