HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:34 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooch View Post
I need a little help. I think my motor mount has been weakend from a crash. I read about injecting the hot glue. How do you take the fuse apart in the future if you need to? The other option was meat skewers. Where do you insert them? Any help is appreciated.
Same as NorCalMatCat - cut off one side to get at the motor mount. When I assembled the fuselage originally I didn't glue that part so cutting let it come off easily and it is taped back on. It would be possible to fit a magnet. Possibly a skew (kebab) and magnet for more security.

After my inverted crash the layers of the motor mount had twisted so those were realigned and hot glue applied.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:47 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Did you at all read Post # 16329?
AJ
Yes I read it and found the files. They explain the basics of putting it together, but not much more. I am still waiting for my shipment with the accessories (like the ESC) I have to learn about the wiring a bit more.and I was hoping the manual would say more ( that way I wouldn't have to ask elementary questions).

I am re-reading parts of the thread and hopefully I will get most of my answers.

Thanks
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wettfeat View Post
Be sure to glue those wings in around the edge where they meet the fuselage. I found after 2 flights they were beginning to pull out so I put some hotglue around it.
I am going to try the hook and rubber band method for the wings. I like the idea of the shock absorbing wings & this way I can store it with wings off.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:48 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
1-Re-inforcing:
I agree with the Dont Crash Theory and the Damage Transfer Theory, If the Dont Crash Theory fails and you lawn dart it - somethin' gotta give!
All I've added is a strip of 2" Fibre tape from where the nose starts to curve up back to where I've put the main wheel,
and added 2mm (or was it 3mm) CF rod between main wheel and tail wheel in space intended 36/72mhz antennas.

2-Wings:
Added 2x2mm CF rods into the hollow 6mm CF rod.
Wings held together with square rare earth magnets, have not had one come off yet.

3-Power Plant and Motor Pod:
Motor bolts came loose, luckily during bench testing and not flight. Turns out the bolts were only long enough for about one turn onto the motor.
Cut the side of motor pod off and removed one piece of the ply mounting plates to give the bolts get a better bite and loctite added.
(Edit: Never glued one side of the motor pod, because I knew the day would come for that to be cut and mods or motor replacement done)
Taped the pod side back on. But I like the magnet idea, never thought of that. I will have to change to that!

This thing screams with just the stock motor, Nano-Tech 2200mAh 3S 30-70C and Master Airscrew 3 blade 6 x 4 pusher prop.
No wing folding or coming off, yet!
No crashes, yet!
No electronics failures, yet!

B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Last edited by Fugitive_Bill; Jul 23, 2012 at 12:01 AM. Reason: added edit line and 3rd picture
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:00 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
Yes I read it and found the files. They explain the basics of putting it together, but not much more. I am still waiting for my shipment with the accessories (like the ESC) I have to learn about the wiring a bit more.and I was hoping the manual would say more ( that way I wouldn't have to ask elementary questions).

I am re-reading parts of the thread and hopefully I will get most of my answers.

Thanks
There are 100's of basics on wiring for RC planes. HERE is just one.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:00 AM
Joined Oct 2011
1,047 Posts
Quote:
I am going to try the hook and rubber band method for the wings. I like the idea of the shock absorbing wings & this way I can store it with wings off.
Rubber band on to the wing hooks or a wire hook, hooked on to the wing hooks with a rubber band retainer?

I recommend the latter as rubber bands perish (see Blog for pictures).
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:20 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
Rubber band on to the wing hooks or a wire hook, hooked on to the wing hooks with a rubber band retainer?

I recommend the latter as rubber bands perish (see Blog for pictures).
I was probably going to use one rubberband going under the wing attached to a 3M hook on each side. I plan to recess the hooks into the wing a little.

Your method sounds interesting. Can you send images of the hooks and rubberband.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,047 Posts
Quote:
I was probably going to use one rubberband going under the wing attached to a 3M hook on each side. I plan to recess the hooks into the wing a little.

Your method sounds interesting. Can you send images of the hooks and rubberband.
As I said, look in my Blog -

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=379457

I might put up an even closer picture of the hook but it is in between the rubber band and the wire. There is a groove in the inner fuselage and I cut a small slot to it from the outside of the fuselage to make fitting the band and wire easier.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:48 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Here is a pic of my rubber band attachment method with 3m hooks... I did CA the hooks in place, it works quite well. I have probably flown over 150 flights with the same 2 rubber bands, just a few weeks ago I realized both where broken while hangered, good thing it happened while hangered rofl, but really they should probably be replaced every 20 flights or so. (I am going to start replacing mine every 20 flights...)
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:28 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,047 Posts
Quote:
I have just put up a close-up picture of the hook and wire. Note on the lower picture, which includes a bit of the wing, the slot cut for the wire and rubber band to go through.

There is also a picture of a link-stopper which has replaced a lost clevis.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Looks good. It is not how I imagined it. When you said wire, I pictured soft electrical wire.

I am still mulling it over, but in theory I would want an elastic connection. Something that would breakaway on hard landings. I saw a US military drone the was made of 3 or 4 snap together pieces. On landing all the parts came apart.

edit: I found it on youtube. Raven UAV Landing search for ezJ0024eCg8
Last edited by Shimmy; Jul 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:09 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Looks good. It is not how I imagined it. When you said wire, I pictured soft electrical wire.

I am still mulling it over, but in theory I would want an elastic connection. Something that would breakaway on hard landings. I saw a US military drone the was made of 3 or 4 snap together pieces. On landing all the parts came apart.
Your concerns about crash damage is out of scale to the intended experience of flying. If you stay on your present frame of thought you will never enjoy flying, you will spend all your time trying to prevent the results of your expected failures.

Buy one plane and an airframe back-up 30.00 prox. Get the thing in the air, thats where your schooling starts.

Sir, your head is in the wrong place and I'm truly trying to help you Shimmy. I don't have to be an 'old head' on the board or a professor of needed modifications to let you know this. Then glue it up and fly it.

Most of the crash mods are are based on presumed failure. If you glide test it, trim it you can fly it. Stop being failure focused and fly!

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:46 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Your concerns about crash damage is out of scale to the intended experience of flying. If you stay on your present frame of thought you will never enjoy flying, you will spend all your time trying to prevent the results of your expected failures.

Buy one plane and an airframe back-up 30.00 prox. Get the thing in the air, thats where your schooling starts.

Sir, your head is in the wrong place and I'm truly trying to help you Shimmy. I don't have to be an 'old head' on the board or a professor of needed modifications to let you know this. Then glue it up and fly it.

Most of the crash mods are are based on presumed failure. If you glide test it, trim it you can fly it. Stop being failure focused and fly!

DJ
Probably the most important message so far posted relating to Shimmy's concerns.

However if modifications are worked on for the next year or so it will never be in the air so will never crash.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:06 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Probably the most important message so far posted relating to Shimmy's concerns.

However if modifications are worked on for the next year or so it will never be in the air so will never crash.....
It's to easy to become part of the process instead of being part of the flight.
I've done that and now I'm redirecting back to the vision. Fly it, crash it, fix it but fly it.

Like Harvey Firestone said " thats were the rubber meets the road".

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:14 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post

DJ
+1. Harsh, But true.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker