HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:40 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIATION_RULZ View Post
Hey guys,

I love my Bixler but need a solution to what I'm sure is a common problem. I've had a few crashes with this plane and the nose seems to be the weakest link (for me at least). Is there any way I can strengthen the front third of the plane? Has anyone tried something like this?? I was thinking of maybe some fiberglass weave??

Any help would be appreciated
Thnx
Try a little heat to get the nose back as close as possible to it's original form. I used a couple of pop-cycle sticks glued inside the cockpit just below the wall edge. It adds some weight but also some strength to the wall which is the weakest part of the fuse.

I wouldn't glass the nose but you can uses some packing tape or even a plastic soda bottle as a protective device.

Last thing is don't try to power out of a dive when you are close to the ground. You can't. Good luck

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:04 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
SkySurfer Arrived !

My SkySurfer finally arrived. Everything looks in good shape. One wing tip was bent down a little. I am coaxing it up again.

My package of accessories (batteries, carbon, charger, prop etc) is still backordered at HK, waiting for the props. I will probably give it a couple of more days, then cancel the props and get them later.

Now I have to go back and re-learn how to build it and bind it.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Shimmy
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Feb 2011
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Sure, you can glass it. You can even barrel wrap it with 3M Extreme tape. The key though, is to quit crashing. Build a plane to fly, not to crash.

Can you please provide me with a little more information on "glassing"? Or at least direct me on where I can learn the 101 on it

Thank you
AVIATION_RULZ is offline Find More Posts by AVIATION_RULZ
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Feb 2011
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
How do you keep crashing it.......... just about flies itself, it will fly slow enough for you to catch it. If you are having trouble flying the Bixler then something is wrong.
Well, I crashed it while learning FPV. And then a fellow pilot ran it nose first into the ground while he had controls. You're right about it being a easy plane to fly... but learning FPV can be challenging too
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Feb 2011
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Try a little heat to get the nose back as close as possible to it's original form. I used a couple of pop-cycle sticks glued inside the cockpit just below the wall edge. It adds some weight but also some strength to the wall which is the weakest part of the fuse.

I wouldn't glass the nose but you can uses some packing tape or even a plastic soda bottle as a protective device.

Last thing is don't try to power out of a dive when you are close to the ground. You can't. Good luck

Vince
I really like your pop-cycle stick idea... the reinforcement may well be worth the added weight. Great advice... I'll try it out
Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:21 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIATION_RULZ View Post
Can you please provide me with a little more information on "glassing"? Or at least direct me on where I can learn the 101 on it

Thank you

Here you go.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161218
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:48 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Instruction Manual

Does anyone have a scan of the Bixler or BlitzRC SkySurfer manual.

I don't have a setup manual, and it would be a good place for me to start.

Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:00 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
This might help. I don't know who wrote (otherwise I would credit him) but it's very comprehensive.
I'll scan and post my Bixler Manual if I remember - In fact I can't remember if it came with one - I'll check my manual print folder.
Right now I need to crash. (the sleep type of crash)

B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Feb 2011
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
Does anyone have a scan of the Bixler or BlitzRC SkySurfer manual.

I don't have a setup manual, and it would be a good place for me to start.

Thanks
There's also this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16542

Click on files and it should appear.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Thanks,

I was hoping that it would be more verbose. I would have liked a real step by step manual for Noob's like me.

I will muddle through.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:03 PM
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
329 Posts
I need a little help. I think my motor mount has been weakend from a crash. I read about injecting the hot glue. How do you take the fuse apart in the future if you need to? The other option was meat skewers. Where do you insert them? Any help is appreciated.
Scooch is offline Find More Posts by Scooch
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:06 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooch View Post
I need a little help. I think my motor mount has been weakend from a crash. I read about injecting the hot glue. How do you take the fuse apart in the future if you need to? The other option was meat skewers. Where do you insert them? Any help is appreciated.
On mine I cut the top half of the motor casing off and have it attached with tape, that way when I need to get to the motor I just undo the tape and take the top half of the motor casing off.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:17 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Thanks,

I was hoping that it would be more verbose. I would have liked a real step by step manual for Noob's like me.

I will muddle through.
Did you at all read Post # 16329?
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:16 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2012
360 Posts
Quote:
My SkySurfer finally arrived. Everything looks in good shape. One wing tip was bent down a little. I am coaxing it up again.

My package of accessories (batteries, carbon, charger, prop etc) is still backordered at HK, waiting for the props. I will probably give it a couple of more days, then cancel the props and get them later.

Now I have to go back and re-learn how to build it and bind it.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Shimmy
Be sure to glue those wings in around the edge where they meet the fuselage. I found after 2 flights they were beginning to pull out so I put some hotglue around it.
Wettfeat is offline Find More Posts by Wettfeat
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:28 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Well I have to side with the don't crash crowd, here is why. You strengthen the nose and the impact energy has to go somewhere so the plane breaks in the back instead of the front. Damn physics.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR