SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Jan 2012
50 Posts
Thrust Angle Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Flyer View Post
I have a bixler with a 6x4 prop and 2700 kv in runner. It was working perfectly at all speeds until I crashed and broke the back end off. It was a nice clean break at the rear of the fuselage so very easy to perfectly align everything and glue it. The problem now is that it flies nice at very low speeds but if I put the the throttle to about a quarter or higher it dive bombs like a rock. I have to give it LOTS of up elevator to keep it level. All the control surfaces are nicely lined up and I even tried making it tail heavy but the problem still persists. The motor angle is perfect like it was before the crash (the prop is only 1/4 inch away from the fuselage).

Any ideas what is causing this?
I had similar problems using the external mounted motor block with the Turnigy 3542/4 motor. The physics must change somewhat from the stock and the angle needs adjustment. The thrust on the nose was so great, I couldn't even taxi with some makeshift wheels. I had to use longer screws (3X10mm) and a couple of washers to correct the thrust (shaft was near parallel to body). Prior to crash (for other reasons), this worked well... short video demonstrating the thrust issues here.

cheers
GW
Gotwings is offline Find More Posts by Gotwings
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:19 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
I went back to page one and tried to find what I needed but I'm not finding it. Oh I'm sure it's there I'm just not finding it. So at the risk of being redundant here it is.

Wanting to fly with the gliders on sat. mornings but it would take me forever to get up there.
I think someone spoke of a motor that would take my SS straight up, not sure if thats true. Can you tell me what I would need to do that?

Thanks,
DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:41 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimtim View Post
im blind thanks.. maby im totally blind but i cant find Clevis for bixler just horns and hinges, any one know if HK have some Clevis for the bixler?
I presume to fit the pushrod from the servo to the horn?

I use link-stoppers for that - HK OR016-00501 - Linkage Stopper D1.8mm (10pcs) $2.59.

Put a dab of contact adhesive or Loctite on the nut to stop it coming undone. The link-stopper should be free to swivel on the horn.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:57 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,404 Posts
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Jul 21, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:46 PM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I went back to page one and tried to find what I needed but I'm not finding it. Oh I'm sure it's there I'm just not finding it. So at the risk of being redundant here it is.

Wanting to fly with the gliders on sat. mornings but it would take me forever to get up there.
I think someone spoke of a motor that would take my SS straight up, not sure if thats true. Can you tell me what I would need to do that?

Thanks,
DJ
if its the same as a bixler a 2212-6 wIll go pretty good. http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...wt&goodsid=116
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:51 PM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
2,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem View Post
"terrible" not quite sure why you would say this,, the fun cub has a ton of room, can carry a small car, and all of the gear mounts on or near the cg. not to mention it actually flies very well which is something i cant say for the bixler. also, it can land very short from steep angles with the flap option installed, the only weak link i can see in the cub is the landing gear is flimsy.(when carrying 3s 5000 and gear) additionally, the camera can be mounted on the bottom for much better viewing IMHO. I can look at the sky from the ground.
He did not say the fun cub is a terrible choice as a plane. If you read back a couple of pages before to the original question. Some one asked for a suitable plane to put all the electronics out of the Bixler and straight into another plane. Then someone else suggested the fun cub, but what I got from AJ's reply was that it is almost double the weight of the Bixler so the motor would not be big enough or even the prop! Hence 'terrible' choice to put the electronics into!!

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:41 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Flyer View Post
I have a bixler with a 6x4 prop and 2700 kv in runner. It was working perfectly at all speeds until I crashed and broke the back end off. It was a nice clean break at the rear of the fuselage so very easy to perfectly align everything and glue it. The problem now is that it flies nice at very low speeds but if I put the the throttle to about a quarter or higher it dive bombs like a rock. I have to give it LOTS of up elevator to keep it level. All the control surfaces are nicely lined up and I even tried making it tail heavy but the problem still persists. The motor angle is perfect like it was before the crash (the prop is only 1/4 inch away from the fuselage).

Any ideas what is causing this?
It's the thrust angle that's changing when powered up or changed permanently. I nosed in mine with Microdan and the foam mount and motor broke off. Gluing it back on was not enough of a repair because the foam, although glued back together, was flexing when the motor powered up. It was like a tenderized piece of meat. So, I injected it with hot glued to stiffen it up and wrapped it with 3M Extreme tape. It solved the problem.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:39 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
People who judge without reading the history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem View Post
"terrible" not quite sure why you would say this,, the fun cub has a ton of room, can carry a small car, and all of the gear mounts on or near the cg. not to mention it actually flies very well which is something i cant say for the bixler. also, it can land very short from steep angles with the flap option installed, the only weak link i can see in the cub is the landing gear is flimsy.(when carrying 3s 5000 and gear) additionally, the camera can be mounted on the bottom for much better viewing IMHO. I can look at the sky from the ground.
See Post 16311. Then, go read all the history.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:46 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Skewers to the rescue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
It's the thrust angle that's changing when powered up or changed permanently. I nosed in mine with Microdan and the foam mount and motor broke off. Gluing it back on was not enough of a repair because the foam, although glued back together, was flexing when the motor powered up. It was like a tenderized piece of meat. So, I injected it with hot glued to stiffen it up and wrapped it with 3M Extreme tape. It solved the problem.
I am sure you know about it. But, did you consider putting meat skewers through the foam to un-tenderize it? I have done that a few times and it seems like I learned that trick from you.
AJ
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:50 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I am sure you know about it. But, did you consider putting meat skewers through the foam to un-tenderize it? I have done that a few times and it seems like I learned that trick from you.
AJ
Meat skewers were next on my list of things to do if hot glue and 3M tape did not work.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:52 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post

Thanks,
DJ
Use THIS motor with a 7x4e prop if you want model rocketry. Prof100 and I have both used this motor with a few different props. Fun stuff. Pricey and worth every penny.
AJ
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:45 AM
Joined Feb 2011
581 Posts
Hey guys,

I love my Bixler but need a solution to what I'm sure is a common problem. I've had a few crashes with this plane and the nose seems to be the weakest link (for me at least). Is there any way I can strengthen the front third of the plane? Has anyone tried something like this?? I was thinking of maybe some fiberglass weave??

Any help would be appreciated
Thnx
AVIATION_RULZ is offline Find More Posts by AVIATION_RULZ
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:42 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIATION_RULZ View Post
Hey guys,

I love my Bixler but need a solution to what I'm sure is a common problem. I've had a few crashes with this plane and the nose seems to be the weakest link (for me at least). Is there any way I can strengthen the front third of the plane? Has anyone tried something like this?? I was thinking of maybe some fiberglass weave??

Any help would be appreciated
Thnx
Sure, you can glass it. You can even barrel wrap it with 3M Extreme tape. The key though, is to quit crashing. Build a plane to fly, not to crash.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:50 AM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,596 Posts
How do you keep crashing it.......... just about flies itself, it will fly slow enough for you to catch it. If you are having trouble flying the Bixler then something is wrong.
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:36 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
How do you keep crashing it.......... just about flies itself, it will fly slow enough for you to catch it. If you are having trouble flying the Bixler then something is wrong.
I can share some sympathy with Aviation_Rulz.

In my earlier learning curve of flying my crashes were usually the result of a low level tip stall followed by a failed attempt to make it pull up under full power.

That didn't work and it usually proceeded to lawn dart into the ground.

I have not had that much fun for over 30 flights now since I know better not to power out of a dive that low to the ground.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Last edited by Eagle202; Jul 22, 2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: spelling