SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:46 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
With the motor on top the SS might make a good sea plane. Does anyone know if that could work? Or another really dumb question from 'the cheep chizler'.
DJ
Somewhere in this thread are videos of a SS with pontoons.

You should be able to find it using the search function.

There is a picture on post # 7891 and a video on post # 7949 & # 8420
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Last edited by Eagle202; Jul 10, 2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: added info
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:32 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Somewhere in this thread are videos of a SS with pontoons.

You should be able to find it using the search function.

There is a picture on post # 7891 and a video on post # 7949 & # 8420
Thanks, The plane flying with floats looks like a Cessna 182. It lands takes off and flys, stock motor and prop 2200 mah bat and how to attach the floats. They say and show it's supper stable.

Eagle you pointed me to the 'mother load' on this.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:01 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
About props and motors. Going up in pitch on a gas boat motor creates more speed but less power, going down = less speed but more power. Do these electric motors and props work that way?

DJ
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:57 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
About props and motors. Going up in pitch on a gas boat motor creates more speed but less power, going down = less speed but more power. Do these electric motors and props work that way?

DJ
A larger prop pitch number = more speed and more amps = less thrust.

I am not sure what you mean by less power.
Last edited by Eagle202; Jul 11, 2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: corrected formula to show more speed = less thrust
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:44 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
A larger prop pitch number = more speed and more amps and more thrust.

I am not sure what you mean by less power.
I see why, how to put this...
With the boat example: I was a competition water skier thru the 60's. In a water ski show one might use a 17 pitch prop if one is pulling a bare foot skyier. Moves forward 17" each rev at the top of the power curve say 5,600 rpms. Speed 36 mph. The next act is 5 women with flags, to get them out of the water it takes 13" prop and at 5,600 is 22mph. The first one 17 pitch we call a speed prop. The 13" is a power prop.
I don't know if that is the same with our brushless motor and prop relationship.
I hope this helps.

DJ
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Apr 2012
937 Posts
Im going to order some stuff from hobbyking so i can mod My bixler such as a new prop, control horn, carbon rods etc, can you guys recommend what i need?
timtimtim is offline Find More Posts by timtimtim
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:09 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimtim View Post
Im going to order some stuff from hobbyking so i can mod My bixler such as a new prop, control horn, carbon rods etc, can you guys recommend what i need?
If you go to search and in user type Shimmy. This is 2 wks old. The board walked him thru the whole process. That young man, 15 ask some very relevant question.

It is most of what you are wanting to know.

DJ
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimtim View Post
Check out page # 1 of this thread. Most of those mods are mentioned there.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:04 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
If you go to search and in user type Shimmy. This is 2 wks old. The board walked him thru the whole process. That young man, 15 ask some very relevant question.

It is most of what you are wanting to know.

DJ
I love being called a young man. At 54 it does not happen too often. ( My son sometimes does ask me if I will every act mature).

I still have not purchased all the additional equipment (the RTF is on its way to me).
Much of the stuff is back ordered and I have to figure out about shipping the LIPO's (also back ordered). There are mailing restrictions that require a big box if you are shipping more than 3400 maH
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:11 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, The plane flying with floats looks like a Cessna 182. It lands takes off and flys, stock motor and prop 2200 mah bat and how to attach the floats. They say and show it's supper stable.

Eagle you pointed me to the 'mother load' on this.

DJ
The Chinese eBay (TaoBao) sells the SkySurfer kit with Pontoons.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=15258958803

1 USD = 6.3 Renminbi so 200 Renminbi is about $31 for the kit.
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:42 PM
Lake Havasu City AZ
Joined Feb 2009
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
Hi Guys,

Just received today my second Bixler. First one is still going strong and has been adapted for FPV. Running stock motor, 30A ESC, 2200Mah 3S and APC 6x4E. Also did a heap of common mods when I first got it with carbon fibre etc.

So Bixler #2 is also going to carry a heap of FPV and am considering a motor change. I already have the CNC adjustable motor mount. Now need some advice on motor and prop combo.

I had an idea to put a PZ Stryker motor (2200Kv) on with the stock prop setup and 40A ESC, however I am not looking for speed, more so torque to carry added weight of FPV gear whilst retaining battery efficiency. Why switch from stock motor? Well I wanted to go for a more reliable (not that I have had any trouble with Bix 1) motor and prop that was more suited to FPV use.

Thanks in advance.
Since you have the CNC motor mount you can run up to an 8" prop which will be more efficient with more thrust (torque). I run a 450 sport (headsuprc) 1200kv motor with an APC 8x6SF prop that only draws 15A and much quieter operation. With a 8x5 or 8x3.8 even more thrust at lower current. Headsup does not ship to AUS but you should find something like it that does.
jeeper1977 is offline Find More Posts by jeeper1977
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:48 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper1977 View Post
Since you have the CNC motor mount you can run up to an 8" prop which will be more efficient with more thrust (torque). I run a 450 sport (headsuprc) 1200kv motor with an APC 8x6SF prop that only draws 15A and much quieter operation. With a 8x5 or 8x3.8 even more thrust at lower current. Headsup does not ship to AUS but you should find something like it that does.
Can you link us to this motor?
I am building my second SkySurfer too.
Oh is this the one??
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...0-Sport/Detail
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:02 PM
Lake Havasu City AZ
Joined Feb 2009
165 Posts
Quote:
I see why, how to put this...
With the boat example: I was a competition water skier thru the 60's. In a water ski show one might use a 17 pitch prop if one is pulling a bare foot skyier. Moves forward 17" each rev at the top of the power curve say 5,600 rpms. Speed 36 mph. The next act is 5 women with flags, to get them out of the water it takes 13" prop and at 5,600 is 22mph. The first one 17 pitch we call a speed prop. The 13" is a power prop.
I don't know if that is the same with our brushless motor and prop relationship.
I hope this helps.

DJ
Yes, very much the same.
Lower pitch, more thrust (power, torque) less speed at same RPM (like a car in 1st gear).
Higher pitch, more speed, less thrust at same RPM (like a car in 4th gear).

But you would not pull up a skier with a 2hp motor no mater what prop used.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:18 PM
Lake Havasu City AZ
Joined Feb 2009
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Can you link us to this motor?
I am building my second SkySurfer too.
Oh is this the one??
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...0-Sport/Detail
Yes, that should work great.
When I bought mine back some time ago it was listed as 1200kv.
The new EZII calls for a 1100kv motor with a 7x6 prop, so a 8" prop should give even more thrust. You do need the raised motor mount.
Jeff at Headsup has always been great!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:24 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
I love being called a young man. At 54 it does not happen too often. ( My son sometimes does ask me if I will every act mature).

I still have not purchased all the additional equipment (the RTF is on its way to me).
Much of the stuff is back ordered and I have to figure out about shipping the LIPO's (also back ordered). There are mailing restrictions that require a big box if you are shipping more than 3400 maH
Shimmy, truely thought you posted that you were 15 years old. I went back thru your post. Didn't find you saying that anywhere. Know wonder I get in trouble on this board.

DJ