HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:41 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
1. Oops. My bad. You interpreted my post EXACTLY as I wrote it. Unfortunately, I did not mean that AT ALL. I was making a joke (obviously, I failed) making light (pun intended) of how heavy your plane might be getting. Since your plane is getting heavier, it is figures that is must harder for me to read your posts because they are getting heavier with the pictures of your plane. Oh, well, I guess you had to be there. Sorry for the poor post content.
IMO, your posts in both length and content are informative and helpful to everyone. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

2. Correct. Some folks figure that one out right away. Some don't ever figure it out. It is counter-intuitive, though.
AJ
P.S. I went back and edited that post.
LOL. Don't worry about it. Sometimes I can't see the pun for the trees.

I do carry on sometimes.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:24 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
About combining and splitting this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
AJ and the rest of the crowd :-))
Guys, since this thread has hundreds of pages already may I suggest starting new thread committed only to electronics, power settings (motors, ESC, FPV equipment etc.)
It is very hard here to find anything specific and sort through hundreds of chit-chat talk posts. Its been done with Skywalker and we could model the posts as here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1494373

This way we could avoid answering/repeating same questions over and over again by simple redirecting these questions to the specific thread.
It could be combined with Bixler and Skysurfer as the planes are virtually very similar.
Thank You for your suggestion. If you look at the title of this thread ->"Sky Surfer - aka Bixler See Post #2 & #3 for parts & mods B4 asking", I think it is obvious that we are already combining the Bixler and Sky Surfer. There are quite a few other threads that address each and/or both planes. However, not one of them is even distantly comparable to this thread. I queried quite a few members before we even combined those two planes. It was not a clear cut decision, IMO. But, I am only the librarian and one of the voting members. Further, we have a very nice family here and it could be said that I am the only one who gets out of line. Thankfully, I explicitly trust the feedback that I get from 4 other members that keep me in line (as best as they can). Splitting this thread does not make any sense. For me, it would be like splitting up a close knit family. The health and popularity of the thread depends 99% on its members and I think the quantity of postings certainly also reflects the quality of its membership. This thread has been getting more postings than the EZ* thread (which also has many nice folks). I hasten to point out that one of the important features of a thread is to keeping Page #1 up to date. I, for one, am grateful that 2500GENE is at the helm of that thread and keeps it up to date and relevant. That reminds me, I have about 2-3 hours of work to do on Page #1 of this thread. Since I have to do the same tasks on this thread, I can truly appreciate the effort he HAS to put in to keep the EZ* thread up to date.
Of course, if many other folks wanted to split it up, it would be done, IF, all of the key members concurred. At this time, I don't think that is going to happen. The old saying comes to mind -> If is ain't broke, don't fix it. So, for now, the thread will remain exactly the way it is. Of course, if you are really interested in starting another thread using your ideas, you have my full support and I would be willing to participate as time permits. Again, thank you for your feedback. It is always welcome.
AJ

BTW- We did split off FPV to its (ILOVEFPV) own thread that addresses that topic. We call it our "sister" thread. And, he is an important member here as well. We refer readers to his thread as often as we can.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Jul 08, 2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Add FPV link
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:40 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
wrong thread
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:44 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Aj, I am not talking about splitting this thread but just posting plain specs.
Just look at the thread I posted the link to, it works great for all new members who otherwise ask the same questions. It is just suggestion which works well in the mentioned thread.
I am for one building new SkySurfer and EZ II and would be really interested in some options like possible motors, servos etc.
No offense here just suggestion. Otherwise I'll be asking some more specific questions, it is a great thread anyway.
Oh by the way thx for the FPV link :-)
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Last edited by nakelp86; Jul 08, 2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:48 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Aj, I am not talking about splitting this thread but just posting plain specs.
Just look at the thread I posted the link to, it works great for all new members who otherwise ask the same questions. It is just suggestion which works well in the mentioned thread.
I am for one building new SkySurfer and EZ II and would be really interested in some options like possible motors, servos etc.
No offense here just suggestion. Otherwise I'll be asking some more specific questions, it is a great thread anyway.
Ah. Got it. Excellent idea now that I understand what you mean. Since 2500GENE and I work on our respective threads, it takes a good deal of time. I think YOU should start a thread for EX* II, Sky Surfer, and Bixler that shows just the plain specs. I am sure GENE and I would refer folks to your thread as needed. So, go ahead, start another thread. I think you have a good idea.

AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Jul 08, 2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
I love this thread. Even though there is a lot of obsolete information, it is informative and friendly. If you split it, I will have to read both.
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:47 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Well, I guess I will start something like it as a blog since its easier to control whats posted.
The problem is I dont have much to offer :-) will do the best and post the link here with your permission.
Thx AJ
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
I have found my RTF and I will have to pay for 2 shipments. One with the plane, the other with the batteries, charger etc. I have to purchase the Batteries from HK - Hong Kong due to shipment restrictions on LiPo.

I have 3 LIPO that are in stock that I am considering.
Turnigy nano-tech 2200mah 3S 45~90C - $20
Turnigy 2650mAh 3S 30C - $16.50
Turnigy 2200mAh 2S 20C - $9

Is it worth it to get the bigger C for $11 more ?
Is there something better that I am overlooking?

What charger would you (in plural) suggest ?
Turnigy Accucel-6 50W

??

The motor that I wanted is back ordered. Any suggestions for a spare motor that I will be able to easily mount the APC prop on would be greatly appreciated.

I am almost there.

Thanks
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:00 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
I

I have 3 LIPO that are in stock that I am considering.
Turnigy nano-tech 2200mah 3S 45~90C - $20
Turnigy 2650mAh 3S 30C - $16.50
Turnigy 2200mAh 2S 20C - $9

Is it worth it to get the bigger C for $11 more ?
Is there something better that I am overlooking?

Thanks
My experience re the battery....the 20C is plenty good enough. If you plan on re-using the battery in something fast, like the Hobbyking Skyfun....then you are better off buying the nano-tech 45-90C.

The reason is simply, the motor in the SkySurfer doesn't draw that much power (Amps) so the 20C is fine - and cheap, and crash-able.
idletime is online now Find More Posts by idletime
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:05 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
20c * 2200mah = 44 AMPS, Stock Bixler / SS motor with a 6x4 pulls about 19A at most...

Though I would use the 2650 if you are looking for longer flight times.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
20c * 2200mah = 44 AMPS, Stock Bixler / SS motor with a 6x4 pulls about 19A at most...

Though I would use the 2650 if you are looking for longer flight times.
oops I chose a 2S battery. Don't I need a 3S ?

Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack - Back Ordered !!
Still looking for a cheap 3S in stock.

Any suggestions for Charger and Moter ?
Last edited by Shimmy; Jul 08, 2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:27 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
oops I chose a 2C battery. Don't I need a 3S ?

Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack - Back Ordered !!
Still looking for a cheap 3S in stock.

Any suggestions for Charger and Moter ?
The charger you posted earlier is excellent. I have two of them - never a problem. Oh, you will need THIS power supply if you don't have one.
There are a LOT of motors that will get suggested. HERE is my choice if you want FAST.
AJ
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:56 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
See what I mean??
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:06 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
The charger you posted earlier is excellent. I have two of them - never a problem. Oh, you will need THIS power supply if you don't have one.
There are a LOT of motors that will get suggested. HERE is my choice if you want FAST.
AJ
Excuse my ignorance... What do I need the Power Supply for? The charger takes a DC input? It looks like a standard laptop PS. I find them on eBay for $5.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:07 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
See what I mean??
I guess I don't see.
DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor