HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:35 PM
Joined Sep 2009
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
The quality is fine and the flying every bit as good & better. You did Great! A teeth mounted camera. Now that is a first. It sure worked out good. IMO, you have NOTHING to be ashamed of at all. I especially liked seeing the video from the ground and the OBC. Good Job. BTW-Who is the old guy that was flying the plane and abusing it on the bench?
AJ
Thanks for the kind words AJ.
"BTW-Who is the old guy that was abusing it on the bench?"

Yeah, I guess it kinda looks like I'm molesting something while I struggle with the buttons on the crappy spy camera I bought from Hobby King. It's been a real disappointment compared to the ones I bought a year ago off e-bay.
I made a second flight after the video and got real lucky, I brought the plane in towards me at full speed and gave it hard "up" elev. to do a 180 and flly away inverted when I heard a very distinct "crack"...The glue holding the spar retainer foam let go and popped out right up to the fuselage (Maybe the cold weather, Maybe careless assembly)
No harm done, she landed without any problem.
harry
moon12 is offline Find More Posts by moon12
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:43 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,509 Posts
More UPS damage

Got home from running errands and found my SS from BH on the doorstep. Cripes, do these things need to shipped in a steel container? Other than a cracked wingtip, everything else looks OK. So would it be worth my time and energy to complain to BH? I think I can wick some thin foam safe CA where the crack is. Or I may just try and flatten out both wingtips and sheet them with silkspan and WBPU.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:44 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studawg66 View Post
Bill, did you work with a specific person at BH or just the usual channels? I have done the chat thing with "Johnny" twice and emailed CS and RMA. So far the only response I have received from emails is one from the RMA department after waiting several days, and then they put it back on me by asking, "do you need new parts or a full replacement?" I gave them my answer but now have to just wait probably another 3-4 days before hearing a response. So I will not make the 2.5 week mark as you did. I will be lucky to get it resolved this month I bet. Bummer.

If any of you have "real people" contacts at BH I would love to know who they are. I know they used to have some people hanging out here on the forum but doesn't look like they do anymore. Any pointers in getting BH support would be greatly appreciated!
I worked with SaraLyn and Lauren. Both are gone. Good luck, it's a shame. Just ride them like a camel and if needed file a claim with BBB.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:45 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
Got home from running errands and found my SS from BH on the doorstep. Cripes, do these things need to shipped in a steel container? Other than a cracked wingtip, everything else looks OK. So would it be worth my time and energy to complain to BH? I think I can wick some thin foam safe CA where the crack is. Or I may just try and flatten out both wingtips and sheet them with silkspan and WBPU.
Nope, just straighten it out and use some thin CA in the crack. It will be as good as new. Don't flatten the wings out, you'll lose the forgiving dihedral of a glider.

By the way, BH will claim the shipping company caused the damage and tell you to claim it against them (which is probably the case). break out the thin CA and move on.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:51 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,509 Posts
Actually I wouldn't mind getting rid of the dihedral for a little more flight performance. I'm getting close to finishing my second SS and for the third build I'm going to go all out with the mods (flaps, more CF bracing, 300+watts, etc).
Old Nov 16, 2010, 02:02 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Actually I wouldn't mind getting rid of the dihedral for a little more flight performance. I'm getting close to finishing my second SS and for the third build I'm going to go all out with the mods (flaps, more CF bracing, 300+watts, etc).
I second that, dyhedral is a bummer unless you are a beginner. I will leave this one for a trainer and get a second an flatten those wings.

BTW, whats the best method of flattening? Add water and then heat? Almost boiling water? I thought I read somewhere to dip into hot water.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Nov 16, 2010, 02:34 PM
Alabama
Joined Sep 2010
130 Posts
Quote:
That looks eerily familiar. Yours must have fallen off the same truck as mine...the one being chased by a herd of elephants.

I'm only 1.5 weeks into it but I can tell you that if that is the only damage my plane took I would repair and move on. Mine was a little worse, so I'm gonna make them take care of it if it takes me a year.
studawg66 is offline Find More Posts by studawg66
Old Nov 16, 2010, 03:27 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Getting service from BH

Quote:
That looks eerily familiar. Yours must have fallen off the same truck as mine...the one being chased by a herd of elephants.

I'm only 1.5 weeks into it but I can tell you that if that is the only damage my plane took I would repair and move on. Mine was a little worse, so I'm gonna make them take care of it if it takes me a year.
Keep us posted. Especially, the names of people that you worked with and who was good and who was lousy. We all can learn a lot from your feedback. BTW-Congratulations. You have a heck of a lot more patience than I do. A year? Really? (rhetorical)
Like Prof100 said, Saralyn and Lauren are gone - both in disgust with BH. In Saralyn's case, the new folks they hired could not stand taking orders from a 22 year old woman who got things done. It is truly a shame. They were both 5-star IMO. But, who knows? Maybe you will have contact with a "get things done" sort of person. We would all like to know if that person appears. Good Luck and I hope you don't need it.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Nov 16, 2010, 03:31 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
BH has us by the short hairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I worked with SaraLyn and Lauren. Both are gone. Good luck, it's a shame. Just ride them like a camel and if needed file a claim with BBB.
What totally sucks is that with them gone, I feel like we are not going to get any support at all. Of course, with BEVRC out of planes and maybe none available for a long time (if ever), we are totally screwed into working with BH exclusively if we want any SkyS stuff. son- *& -% - $#&%^'s
AJ
Old Nov 16, 2010, 03:34 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:

Unfortunately, you need to make a claim with the trucking company. The damage is caused by them - not BH. FWIW, for me, I would much rather work with the trucking company than BH.
AJ
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:13 PM
Alabama
Joined Sep 2010
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Unfortunately, you need to make a claim with the trucking company. The damage is caused by them - not BH. FWIW, for me, I would much rather work with the trucking company than BH.
AJ
I thought so too, but BH seemed willing to take care of it. They are just in no hurry to do so. I should probably call the carrier as well just to report it. Hope I'm not too late for that. You are probably right though...my resolution will likely be much quicker through them. I'll keep everyone updated.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:38 PM
Alabama
Joined Sep 2010
130 Posts
Update from BH claim

This just in from BH support:

"Sorry, for the late response. I do not work weekend so I have to process your order when I get in the office. We have file damage claim to UPS already. Please allow 2-3 business day for us to process your order."

Makes me wonder if there are some BH support staff still lurking here. The email came just a few minutes after my last post. Maybe just coincidence.

Still not sure how to interpret the email though. I'm hoping they mean to allow 2-3 business days for them to ship my replacement. I hope they do NOT mean to wait 2-3 more days for a verdict. We'll see.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:51 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,623 Posts
Quote:
If it was taped up on the outside, who is to say that BH didn't tape it up before shipping it to you. For all we know, they probably had a mishap getting a shipment off the boat and just taped up the boxes the best they could before sending them out to everyone.

I would be surprised if UPS taped it. Usually, they just deliver it however it ends up to the destination.

KMan
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:13 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,509 Posts
I'm in the process of trying to get rid of the dihedral on the wingtips of the damaged SS. I have some extra time waiting for a coat of WBPU on the SS that's currently in progress. So far I've managed to remove about 75% of the dihedral using a heat gun on low moving it back and forth so I don't bubble the foam. I have the wing placed on an old sheet of laminated plywood (white shelf board with the plastic-like coating) and using an oven mitt to hold down the tips. After about 1 minute of heating I put a couple of my wife's old nursing textbooks (damn they're heavy) on the main part of the wing and the tips. It's going to take awhile but I think I can flatten the whole wing. It's worth a try anyways.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:15 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2008
121 Posts
" But, who knows? Maybe you will have contact with a "get things done" sort of person. We would all like to know if that person appears." Then disappears
Alpha35 is offline Find More Posts by Alpha35