Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:26 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I broke the horizontal stabilizer and elevator last time out, glued it all back up but it's twisted a little. I'm taking my rc tool box, a bunch of batteries and a chair for when I'm sitting at the tail gate with my laptop (my tx is adjusted thru a computer) adjusting everything that I can to make this plane fly.

Or just fly it and try to trim it and stay calm.
"I cain't fly my plane I'm going to destory it" doesn't get much sempathy from this board
Nope. Most of us have had at least one frustrating plane. Personally, I have had 3 that just did not fly for me. But, if you give up, send the parts to 2500GENE (aka crash'em-burn'em). Nah, really, don't give up. This plane WILL fly. On a list of 1 to 10 with 1 being the hardest to fly, this plane rates about a 9.
It is better for the tail feathers to be perfectly aligned. But, the little bit that yours is off won't bother a thing. I have flown planes with the whole tail end off about 30-40 degrees and it still flew ok. So, disregard your little bit off. Give it a little up elevator trim, about 1/2 throttle (for BL motor), and a good hefty toss at about 10-20 degrees up and it should fly just fine. Just one more thing, double and triple check the CG. It should be 60mm from the wing LE. If it is any more than that, you WILL crash and wonder why. Take a video to share will all of us.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:14 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
After planning and trying to figure out the best place to purchase the plane and stuff, I am now on hold. BH is back ordered on the plane. HK has the ARF in stock, but not the Tx/Rx ( except the very advanced and expensive ones).

So I guess that I will have to wait a couple of weeks.

I understand the advice not to bolt down the wings in the V4. Since I will probably crash a lot at first, shock absorbing wings would be wise. Has anyone devised a way to utilize the V4 bolt holes for shock absorbing attachment? Would a rubber-band strung through the fuselage work?

Is it still worth it for me to get the V4, for the extra wing spars?

I really appreciate the advice. While I cool my jets I am practicing on my simulator, but that is just not the real thing.
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:28 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
After planning and trying to figure out the best place to purchase the plane and stuff, I am now on hold. BH is back ordered on the plane. HK has the ARF in stock, but not the Tx/Rx ( except the very advanced and expensive ones).
HK 4Ch V2 (includes Rx) is in stock so if you aren't worried about having a cheap spare Tx then it will cost $23 plus the ARF Bixler.

One of our new flyers was using that yesterday, first flights for him and his Bixler which he got as an RTF. Actually there were 3 of us (all Bixlers) out there, 6 degrees C and drizzle and don't fly too high or they'll disappear into the low cloud.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
I don't want to buy a Tx/Rx that I know is a spare from the start. I thought that THIS one for $28.50 was what came in the RTF , so I was looking at that.

I rather pay a few bucks more and get a better unit.

Am I looking at the wrong unit?
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:07 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,078 Posts
I was suggesting this one, 4 ch, that does come with the RTF -

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_Mode_2_.html

as this one, 6 ch -

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_Mode_2_.html

is out of stock.

The first one with the RTF was the one that our new flyer was using as it was what came with his RTF Bixler. Both are $23US. Both are compatible with the Turnigy 9x which was on backorder when I bought the HK T6A V2.

Note it needs to be a V2 to match the 9x.

If you also get the computer cable (backordered) you can use it on the computer though the 6 ch needs that cable to programme it unless you do as I did and put reversing switches on the front the same as the 4 ch.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:23 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,174 Posts
Quote:
I don't want to buy a Tx/Rx that I know is a spare from the start. I thought that THIS one for $28.50 was what came in the RTF , so I was looking at that.

I rather pay a few bucks more and get a better unit.

Am I looking at the wrong unit?
If you have a laptop take a look at the Fly Sky FS-CT6B TX. It won't 'buddy box'. But it is a 2.4gh, 8 station searching tx. It will store 8 planes and the graphic innerface is killer. Move the sticks and watch the graph in real time, If you mix in some rudder you will see it in motion when you move the sticks. It sells for 35.00 or so and it rocks!
DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:43 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
If you have a laptop take a look at the Fly Sky FS-CT6B TX. It won't 'buddy box'. But it is a 2.4gh, 8 station searching tx. It will store 8 planes and the graphic innerface is killer. Move the sticks and watch the graph in real time, If you mix in some rudder you will see it in motion when you move the sticks. It sells for 35.00 or so and it rocks!
DJ
No. It won't store ANY planes (well, 1 only). It requires a PC to store more plane configurations. Also, it has NO servo reversing switches. That also has to be programmed with a PC (other units are available). Overall, that unit is a PIA to use and switch around planes. I have one sitting on the shelf just waiting to give it away to someone for a small price. Servo centering is very unreliable, too. And, there is no Expo adjustment. All in all, I would not recommend that radio to anyone.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Jul 04, 2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:21 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
I was suggesting this one, 4 ch, that does come with the RTF -

I was equating price with quality and assumed that $28 was better than $23.

The reviews on HK for the $23 were good.

Once again I am baffled what to purchase. Any suggestion what to get to complete my ARF and make it a RTF? I am thinking in the $20-$50 range. If I outgrow those, I can get a better one.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:17 AM
Joined Oct 2011
1,078 Posts
Quote:
I was equating price with quality and assumed that $28 was better than $23.
I wouldn't do that with Chinese items, assume quality difference.

Quote:
The reviews on HK for the $23 were good.
I use the 6 ch V2 and tonight have just changed a Mode 1 to Mode 2 for another flyer who got a RTF with 4 ch. They (Txs) both work and we will both move on to Turnigy 9x eventually. At least we're flying with something that actually works.

Quote:
I am thinking in the $20-$50 range. If I outgrow those, I can get a better one.
As above, that's the way we're working.

Incidentally the other lad broke a wing spar today (heavy landing) - OK, I'll admit it, I thought they were better than that. Now got to do some measurements on the broken one and mine that is still good and see what the difference is.

Fortunately I had something the same diameter and with thicker walls and fitted that to his Bixler.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:43 AM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
So, I'm just throwing this out there, but readymaderc has RTF SS in stock, I believe he still has the V1...with the servo's mounted in the wall of the fuse. I started out with this and yes, I've crashed numerous times. (Broke wing spar and replaced with heftier one, patched cockpit area together...etc etc...) But the stock rc equipment served me very well and provided me with PLENTY of range. Which was the root cause to some of my 'incidents', I simply was to far away and got disoriented. He is also a good resource for replacement parts (wings, fuse etc etc)
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:53 PM
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
331 Posts
Well, first flight of the night went wrong. I had just hand lauched and was flying away from me when I lost contact with the craft. By time the connection was re-established, the plane was very close to some trees and I had the sticks in the WRONG position. The plane veared right into a branch, spun around and turned into a lawn dart. Not to much damage. The vertical stab came loose and the front of the fuse accordianed some. Nothing that some glue and some hot water won't fix.
Scooch is offline Find More Posts by Scooch
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:22 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooch View Post
Well, first flight of the night went wrong.....
You think you had it bad. We were flying about noon today and the Lad landed badly, hitting his leg and denting the wing. Three hours later there's an earthquake, force 5, right under that same spot. I've told him to be more careful in future...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:04 AM
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
Bixler

After a long delay because of binding problems I finally have been flying my first R/C airplane. Originally I thought it was the Rx, bought another one still no luck in binding. A lot of you guys sent me procedures to follow but could not get it done. So, I sent the Tx back to HB, 5 months later they sent me an e-mail saying it was o.k . Do I want it back? I told them to keep it and bought a Spectrum 5 channel and the binding was easy. In the 5 month wait I did a lot of simulator flying and it sure helped. Had some hard landings till I got the CG right. For all the newbies the flying tips found here were right on, for example.
1. Keep the plane in front of you up wind
2. Throttle back soon after air borne
3. Altitude is your friend, it will save your plane (Sometimes)
4. Do not fly into sun
5. Make small stick movements
6. Reinforce your plane with packing tape, before the crash
7. Wait for a calm day
I'm sure there are some more but I want to thank all the posters for their help
67A1f is offline Find More Posts by 67A1f
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:01 PM
United States, NY, Victor
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Just a little amusement for you all. First day of vacation at the campground... launched the plane and promptly flew it into a tree about 40' up. Yay!

We did knock it down with the jury-rigged pole you see (I'm looking up at the plane with the baseball cap on) and eventually fixed the broken stabilizer and wings and she flies again! You can see in the pic up in the tree where one of the softballs we were throwing up at it when through. ;-)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5zlzeq
http://www.sendspace.com/file/aobs8w
cassb is offline Find More Posts by cassb
Old Jul 06, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67A1f View Post
1. Keep the plane in front of you up wind

4. Do not fly into sun
I have queried that. We often get a low sun angle and wind direction from the sun side. Flying into the wind, sun at our backs, means it is possible to land into the wind, plane coming towards you. The higher the wind speed the slower the approach.

I was told if the sun and plane are about the same place cover the sun with the Tx as it flies past the sun.
RCG Plus Member