Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:06 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
It's hard to see from the pics, but the esc is located just behind the camera on the side of the plane on the outside. I don't like mounting my esc's on the inside of the plane.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:04 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
Thought you guys might be interested in my latest build. After crashing my previous plane into the river, I ripped the wings off of it in a subsequent crash. So, while waiting for some new wings to come in, I decided to build a new plane since it needs to carry an expensive camera. I decided to relocate the tail servos to the rear of the plane for better weight distribution and to allow more room up front. This plane is strictly for LOS flying only for 1 mile or less. The nice thing about this camera is it is much lighter than a Gopro and does not have that fisheye look to it. Having it mounted high also eliminates the nose from the videos.

I also covered the wings and tail in vulcan 3mil thick clear film. This adds to the ridgidness of the wings tremendously. Barely any flex. Also installed 2 other progressively smaller carbon rods inside the main spar with Gorilla glue for added strength. The wings are glued in place as will as carbon rods through the top of the plane thru the wings to the bottom of the plane where the screws would normally go.

The plane details are:

- Microdan 2800kv motor
- 6x4 prop
- 36A Thunderbird ESC
- 2200mah battery
- 4x HXT900 servos
- Replay XD1080 camera
- Dragonlink TX and RX
- Wings and tail covered in 3mil vulcan clear film
Well, holy crap, take a bow, very VERY nice. No foolin.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Newbie - Buying a Bixler and all the extra stuff

Hello,

After months of lurking and reading this thread, practicing on a FMS simulator, and watching build videos on You Tube, I have finally decided to purchase a Bixler.plane as my first RC. I would also like to get park flyer foamie as indestructible as possible (recommendations are very welcome).

I want to get all the supplies for the modifications that have been suggested (as well as a few spare parts for when I screw up) at the start, since I have a hard time getting things locally. This is the buy list that I have assembled so far. I would appreciate any comments, corrections, additions

1. Hobbyking Bixler EPO 1400mm (RTF Mode 2 Throttle Left Radio) - PRODUCT ID: HK-SS-RTFM2
2. ZIPPY Flightmax 2200mAh 3S1P 20C - or ZIPPY Flightmax 2200mAh 3S1P 25C or Turnigy nano-tech 2200mah 3S 25~50C Lipo Pack
3. TURNIGY Plush 30amp Speed Controller - TR_P30A
4. Control Horns 16x20mm (10pcs) - 07-00502x10
5. APC Style Propeller 6x4 (2pc) - 074000058
6. HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro Servo - HXT900 (4 spare servos)
7. Nylon & Pinned Hinge 16x28.5 (10pcs) - PRODUCT ID: 008-00201x10
8. Spare Motor ??
9. Carbon Fiber Tube (hollow) 3x2x750mm - PRODUCT ID: CF1 ( 3 for wing spar, under the body and the elevators)
10. Carbon Fiber Tube (hollow) 4x750mm - PRODUCT ID: CF2 ( for the wing spar)
11. HobbyKing Super Glue CA (50g / 1.7oz) Thick

If have forgotten anything or selected the wrong parts, please let me know.

Thanks

Shimmy
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:47 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate the nice comments!!
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:55 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,508 Posts
Might as well order some 3.5mm bullet connectors and servo extensions too.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
Hello,

After months of lurking and reading this thread, practicing on a FMS simulator, and watching build videos on You Tube, I have finally decided to purchase a Bixler.plane as my first RC. I would also like to get park flyer foamie as indestructible as possible (recommendations are very welcome).

I want to get all the supplies for the modifications that have been suggested (as well as a few spare parts for when I screw up) at the start, since I have a hard time getting things locally. This is the buy list that I have assembled so far. I would appreciate any comments, corrections, additions

1. Hobbyking Bixler EPO 1400mm (RTF Mode 2 Throttle Left Radio) - PRODUCT ID: HK-SS-RTFM2
2. ZIPPY Flightmax 2200mAh 3S1P 20C - or ZIPPY Flightmax 2200mAh 3S1P 25C or Turnigy nano-tech 2200mah 3S 25~50C Lipo Pack
3. TURNIGY Plush 30amp Speed Controller - TR_P30A
4. Control Horns 16x20mm (10pcs) - 07-00502x10
5. APC Style Propeller 6x4 (2pc) - 074000058
6. HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro Servo - HXT900 (4 spare servos)
7. Nylon & Pinned Hinge 16x28.5 (10pcs) - PRODUCT ID: 008-00201x10
8. Spare Motor ??
9. Carbon Fiber Tube (hollow) 3x2x750mm - PRODUCT ID: CF1 ( 3 for wing spar, under the body and the elevators)
10. Carbon Fiber Tube (hollow) 4x750mm - PRODUCT ID: CF2 ( for the wing spar)
11. HobbyKing Super Glue CA (50g / 1.7oz) Thick

If have forgotten anything or selected the wrong parts, please let me know.

Thanks

Shimmy
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Newbie - Buying a Bixler and all the extra stuff - additions

Thanks.

3.5mm 3 wire Bullet-connector for motor (5pairs/bag) - PRODUCT ID: 9001-AB

Can you please explain what I use this for?

Servo extension - I searched but I did not find a likely match. Can you give me a product ID please.

Shimmy
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:32 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
449 Posts
since you already have some HK parts...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5pcs_bag_.html

they have longer and short extensions too..
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:24 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Get a bottle of the HK med CA. It's about equal to thin and you'll use it more than thick.
Always good to have CA accelerator too.

Not at HK, but pick up some Gorilla Glue "Dries White".
Harbor freight is a good place for that and get some clear packing tape too.

Getting the prop mounted is a problem on the stock motors.
I'll let others address that or you research it in the thread.

I prefer higher C rated batteries. Those will work but if you want to use them later in other planes, they may be too weak.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Jun 27, 2012, 01:54 AM
An Aussie in Dubai
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jan 2009
265 Posts
Sorry that this is a way late response....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1101 View Post
Seems my retaining nut is as tight as I can get it but at full power while holding it for launch I can tell the motor quits spinning the prop like it is to loose but back off the power and the prop spins normally. This is my first post so be gentle guys. Oh and by the way, I have spent the past month reading every post and learned a bunch. Am I supposed to use lock tight on the retaining cone also? Have 6 x4e prop but still using stock prop as I need to know how to enlarge the hole so the new prop will fit. Any ideas/ suggestions?

I know this response is late - just catching up with my forum reading.

Why not use a pusher prop or reverse prop?????
Spins the opposite direction - no more nuts coming loose.
pghern is offline Find More Posts by pghern
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:23 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghern View Post
I know this response is late - just catching up with my forum reading.

Why not use a pusher prop or reverse prop?????
Spins the opposite direction - no more nuts coming loose.
May not be a problem with the low side thrust angle on these, but if you reverse the prop direction, the thrust angle needs to be mirrored.
Just a thought for you guys.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:57 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Thanks Geminiryan.

I am planning to get everything that I can from HK. I am in Israel, and shipping costs will be a factor. The additional weight of a few wires won't make a difference, but a separate package would make the cost much higher.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:15 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Thanks IFlyRCs,

I'll take your advice on the CA ( I don't need FoamSafe do I ?)

I understand that to get the prop mounted I need to drill out the prop.
I don't have a drill press or Dremel, but I do have a decent drill. Do I need more tools?

Did I select the correct props?f

As far as batteries go, How high should I go? The Zippy is 25C. The Turnegey is 25-50 C ( don't really know what that means).
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:16 AM
Keep Calm, and Carry On...
United States, UT
Joined Feb 2012
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
Thought you guys might be interested in my latest build. After crashing my previous plane into the river, I ripped the wings off of it in a subsequent crash. So, while waiting for some new wings to come in, I decided to build a new plane since it needs to carry an expensive camera. I decided to relocate the tail servos to the rear of the plane for better weight distribution and to allow more room up front. This plane is strictly for LOS flying only for 1 mile or less. The nice thing about this camera is it is much lighter than a Gopro and does not have that fisheye look to it. Having it mounted high also eliminates the nose from the videos.

I also covered the wings and tail in vulcan 3mil thick clear film. This adds to the ridgidness of the wings tremendously. Barely any flex. Also installed 2 other progressively smaller carbon rods inside the main spar with Gorilla glue for added strength. The wings are glued in place as will as carbon rods through the top of the plane thru the wings to the bottom of the plane where the screws would normally go.

The plane details are:

- Microdan 2800kv motor
- 6x4 prop
- 36A Thunderbird ESC
- 2200mah battery
- 4x HXT900 servos
- Replay XD1080 camera
- Dragonlink TX and RX
- Wings and tail covered in 3mil vulcan clear film
I like it. Where did you get the stand?
seearestacey is offline Find More Posts by seearestacey
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:43 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
885 Posts
I'm having 2 problems with my bixler; any advice would be greatly appreciated....
1) it likes to turn right. I thought it is right wing heavy and have already added two quarters and a nickle to the left wing near the tip, but still does not help. i had to trim it all the way left to fly near straight (still like to lean right). I will reexamine my weight balance and alignment again tonight, but appreciate any pointers.
2) I lost control of the bixler twice due to loss of signal (I think as it was drifting and became unresponsive to my control). Lucky crashed to soft branch and escaped with no damage the first time and regained signal and pulled up fast enough the second time. This was really concerning as on my second lost of control, I was nose diving full speed and for sure would have caused some serious damage. I am using DX5E with receiver I bought from value hobby (http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...-receiver.html). I range tested and found that I already lost control at only ten steps!!.. I was wondering if this is normal for this type of receiver and I should just get a new receiver for real "full" range. May be I should try to extend my antennas or place them perpendicular?? I also bought the orange receiver from hobbyking but it seems to continuously shatter my rudder servo as I was thinking of adding the sattllite. Thanks.
ccsj is online now Find More Posts by ccsj
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:11 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsj View Post
I'm having 2 problems with my bixler; any advice would be greatly appreciated....
1) it likes to turn right. I thought it is right wing heavy and have already added two quarters and a nickle to the left wing near the tip, but still does not help. i had to trim it all the way left to fly near straight (still like to lean right). I will reexamine my weight balance and alignment again tonight, but appreciate any pointers.
2) I lost control of the bixler twice due to loss of signal (I think as it was drifting and became unresponsive to my control). Lucky crashed to soft branch and escaped with no damage the first time and regained signal and pulled up fast enough the second time. This was really concerning as on my second lost of control, I was nose diving full speed and for sure would have caused some serious damage. I am using DX5E with receiver I bought from value hobby (http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...-receiver.html). I range tested and found that I already lost control at only ten steps!!.. I was wondering if this is normal for this type of receiver and I should just get a new receiver for real "full" range. May be I should try to extend my antennas or place them perpendicular?? I also bought the orange receiver from hobbyking but it seems to continuously shatter my rudder servo as I was thinking of adding the sattllite. Thanks.
1. The only thing I can think of is to check and see if one of the wings is warped. Did you, by any chance, leave your plane stored in a car on a hot day?
2. TEN ONLY steps!!!??? That sucks. No good at all. I would expect at least 40-50 steps (minimum). But, the antennas must NOT be parallel to each other. A right angle and up from each other is best (i.e. One antenna is pointed up toward the sky and the other is pointed to the right [or left] wing). Try several positions and range test it to see what works best for you.
BTW - A satellite can only help.
FWIW - I use that exact same receiver in my Vapor. But, it is only for indoor use. I am afraid that yours is the same. By design, it does not have enough range.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker