HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:44 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Knock offs seem to have a thin gold coating on them, (I'm sure it's not gold.). If I use knock offs I sand this coating off until it's silver in color and then solder. Seal well with heat shrink, crack a beer and all is well with the world. No problems with them but I do generally use the real deans.
It is simply a look alike and real are just enough different to cause problems. The HXTs are the closest to the originals.

P.S. Guiness is my favorite beer.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2012, 05:33 PM
Joined Feb 2010
15 Posts
I was wondering what kind of beer 2500gene uses, or does it even matter.
neverup is online now Find More Posts by neverup
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:01 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverup View Post
I was wondering what kind of beer 2500gene uses, or does it even matter.
I like 2 kind. Miller and Free.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:32 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Belly wheel installed

Belly wheel installed and after advice here It is now even with the leading edge of the wing on my SS. , Gyros on everything. Is there some special knowlege....

I can't get it off the asphalt before ground loop. I can get it going really fast (still flying in wind).

BTW; We got water @ 7:18P 6/25/12 the flood water is 2" from coming into my back parch. I'm thinking 'Sea Planes'.

Recheck: Water is 1.25" from coming in @ 7:25. High tide peeks @ 8:23p. It will not flood 23 years here.

Name: SP-1.jpg
Views: 95
Size: 170.6 KB
Description:

Name: thumb-The-Most-Interesting-Man-in-the-World-Flood.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 34.6 KB
Description:
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:47 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Belly wheel installed and after advice here It is now even with the leading edge of the wing on my SS. , Gyros on everything. Is there some special knowlege....

I can't get it off the asphalt before ground loop. I can get it going really fast (still flying in wind).

BTW; We got water @ 7:18P 6/25/12 the flood water is 2" from coming into my back parch. I'm thinking 'Sea Planes'.

Recheck: Water is 1.25" from coming in @ 7:25. High tide peeks @ 8:23p. It will not flood 23 years here.

Attachment 4965499

Attachment 4965500
Time to get out the RC sub.

So far up here in Clearwater we have had a lot of rain and wind but no immediate flooding.

I actually like dark Dos Equis beer. But I have to disagree with Gene's statement.

He like the FREE beer first and then the Miller as long as someone else is buying it for him.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:01 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
Hey guys
I am a beginner (only 15) and I have just completed building my bixler (eventuall for fpv). I took it for the first flight yesterday (was way too windy) and eventually crashed it into a tree when the elevator control horn broke off. I took it for another flight today on an oval... things were going great!... then I went to bank and it would not recover, it did a full roll and then crashed into the ground at a 45 degree angle (upright), breaking the prop and the wing spar in the middle. when I got to the plane the ailerons were working perfectly, so were all the control surfaces. I also didnt get any beeps out of my turnigy 9x to indicate a short loss of power.... so my questions to all of you are, what happened? why did it happen? and how do I stop it happening again? (I have flown the hobby-zone champ with great success).
Cloud2026 is offline Find More Posts by Cloud2026
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:23 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
WELCOME to the Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud2026 View Post
Hey guys
I am a beginner (only 15) and I have just completed building my bixler (eventuall for fpv). I took it for the first flight yesterday (was way too windy) and eventually crashed it into a tree when the elevator control horn broke off. I took it for another flight today on an oval... things were going great!... then I went to bank and it would not recover, it did a full roll and then crashed into the ground at a 45 degree angle (upright), breaking the prop and the wing spar in the middle. when I got to the plane the ailerons were working perfectly, so were all the control surfaces. I also didnt get any beeps out of my turnigy 9x to indicate a short loss of power.... so my questions to all of you are, what happened? why did it happen? and how do I stop it happening again? (I have flown the hobby-zone champ with great success).
You gave us a a great deal of information. However, I cannot pinpoint any one thing that might cause your problem. Was it windy again when you flew it the second time? A few times that I have had that happen to me was due to a bad battery connection. At a minimum, power everything up (with prop removed) and run all the controls while a friend wiggles wires to maybe find a bad connection. Oh, while it won't help, I have heard of that condition many times and the problem is just chalked up to a radio signal loss. It can happen very frequently if 2500GENE is standing in front of the sun (not big enough for a full eclipse).
Next time out, please take videos to share with everyone. Again, Welcome!
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:31 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
You gave us a a great deal of information. However, I cannot pinpoint any one thing that might cause your problem. Was it windy again when you flew it the second time? A few times that I have had that happen to me was due to a bad battery connection. At a minimum, power everything up (with prop removed) and run all the controls while a friend wiggles wires to maybe find a bad connection. Oh, while it won't help, I have heard of that condition many times and the problem is just chalked up to a radio signal loss. It can happen very frequently if 2500GENE is standing in front of the sun (not big enough for a full eclipse).
Next time out, please take videos to share with everyone. Again, Welcome!
AJ
Well I forgot to mention that in broke the prop, and it was dead calm, I am using xt60 connectors and the connections are solid, it was dead calm. the reason I posted here was because this crash was so bizarre to me...
I guess I am just lucky that nothing major was broken, two or three dollars should get me flying again. Thank you for your reply
Cloud2026 is offline Find More Posts by Cloud2026
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:48 AM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,733 Posts
Quote:
...........I took it for another flight today on an oval... things were going great!... then I went to bank and it would not recover, it did a full roll and then crashed into the ground at a 45 degree angle (upright), breaking the prop and the wing spar in the middle. ..............
Was it flying towards you when this happened?
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:45 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
Was it flying towards you when this happened?
Good question,
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:52 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys
I know I made a number of control mistakes when I started out. The first big one was turning it the wrong way when it was coming at me. I over corrected and put it into a tip stall too low to recover from.

If all of your control surfaces were working properly it is possible something similar happened to you.

Having videos of what the plane was doing before the crash could help identify the problem.

Vince
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:19 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,162 Posts
When I was learning, a couple of things I used to say to myself or quietly was;
- Plane coming toward you: 'Lift that wing' = push the (ail) stick toward the lower wing so it would 'lift'
- Plane was inverted 'Upside-down' = push the (ele) stick 'up'.
Of course after time these things come to you naturally without really even needing to think about it.
B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:35 AM
Lake Havasu City AZ
Joined Feb 2009
165 Posts
Been there done that

Quote:
Hey guys
I also fly a champ, an EZstar, and a SS. A champ will fly at very slow airspeed as it only weights 1oz (very low wing loading). A SS or bix at 24oz needs a bit more airspeed to maintain lift and control. Without enough airspeed none of the control surfaces will have any effect (stall). If you have enough altitude a Bix will fall enough to gain airspeed to recover, if not the ground wins every time.
So, a Champ will fly at about 5 to 7 mph but a bix needs to go at least twice that fast say 12 to 17 mph to stay aloft. This is airspeed so wind will make a difference.
If and when you ad weight like FPV equip or larger battery speed will have to increase.
jeeper1977 is offline Find More Posts by jeeper1977
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:40 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Thought you guys might be interested in my latest build. After crashing my previous plane into the river, I ripped the wings off of it in a subsequent crash. So, while waiting for some new wings to come in, I decided to build a new plane since it needs to carry an expensive camera. I decided to relocate the tail servos to the rear of the plane for better weight distribution and to allow more room up front. This plane is strictly for LOS flying only for 1 mile or less. The nice thing about this camera is it is much lighter than a Gopro and does not have that fisheye look to it. Having it mounted high also eliminates the nose from the videos.

I also covered the wings and tail in vulcan 3mil thick clear film. This adds to the ridgidness of the wings tremendously. Barely any flex. Also installed 2 other progressively smaller carbon rods inside the main spar with Gorilla glue for added strength. The wings are glued in place as will as carbon rods through the top of the plane thru the wings to the bottom of the plane where the screws would normally go.

The plane details are:

- Microdan 2800kv motor
- 6x4 prop
- 36A Thunderbird ESC
- 2200mah battery
- 4x HXT900 servos
- Replay XD1080 camera
- Dragonlink TX and RX
- Wings and tail covered in 3mil vulcan clear film
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
Thought you guys might be interested in my latest build. After crashing my previous plane into the river, I ripped the wings off of it in a subsequent crash. So, while waiting for some new wings to come in, I decided to build a new plane since it needs to carry an expensive camera. I decided to relocate the tail servos to the rear of the plane for better weight distribution and to allow more room up front. This plane is strictly for LOS flying only for 1 mile or less. The nice thing about this camera is it is much lighter than a Gopro and does not have that fisheye look to it. Having it mounted high also eliminates the nose from the videos.

I also covered the wings and tail in vulcan 3mil thick clear film. This adds to the ridgidness of the wings tremendously. Barely any flex. Also installed 2 other progressively smaller carbon rods inside the main spar with Gorilla glue for added strength. The wings are glued in place as will as carbon rods through the top of the plane thru the wings to the bottom of the plane where the screws would normally go.

The plane details are:

- Microdan 2800kv motor
- 6x4 prop
- 36A Thunderbird ESC
- 2200mah battery
- 4x HXT900 servos
- Replay XD1080 camera
- Dragonlink TX and RX
- Wings and tail covered in 3mil vulcan clear film
Nice. I guess the colors are bright enough to see at 1 mile

Are you going to put in ventilation holes for cooling the ESC?