HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:52 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
No, I slide the battery in via canopy hatch. As I posted, it is a little difficult to get the battery in and out, but that's what I did to achieve CG.

As far as flight characteristic, it is just as good as when I had the battery upfront with no camera on the nose.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:59 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
My turn to ask a question.......

I need some advice from somebody that has done this please.

Building a second Bixler and wish to use a quality brushless outrunner with an aluminium motor mount.

Looking for some extra power, battery efficiency and open to using props that are 6" to 8".

If I can reduce noise from the stock ARF kit, that would be a bonus.

So, looking for proven motor, prop adaptor and prop please.

Thanks in advance.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:05 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
I use Microdan motors with the aluminum mounts on my spare planes. My FPV plane uses a 2535kv motor 7x5 prop and my other plane uses 2505kv motor 6x4 prop just for having fun. Both motors are outrunners.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:28 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Thanks Maddmax. What flight times do you get with the 2535kv and 7x5. Of course I need to now with what battery too please.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:34 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Aug 2010
4 Posts
Need some help from you guys regarding which ESC to use with my Bixler.

Bought a 20A from HK along with this plane and thought I'd be allright, but I was wrong. Turned out that they didn't include the connectors with ESC so I have to buy them seperately. Since I didn't want to wait another month for some connectors I reckoned that I could use the 18A ESC from my P-51D Mustang BL (ParkZone) and let it rest for a couple weeks while I give the Bixler a go with my Gopro.

But now I'm a bit worried, since I'm a total newb when it comes to the technicalities of the whole prop/esc/motor science I'm afraid that I'll torch my ESC and crash

So:
TGS Sport 6x4E Precision propeller
1300mah 3S 25~50C
18A ESC
Stock motor (2620 Brushless outrunner)

Will it work?

Thanks
Tallyho85 is offline Find More Posts by Tallyho85
Last edited by Tallyho85; Jun 19, 2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Wrote 20A ESC instead of 18A
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:28 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho85 View Post
Need some help from you guys regarding which ESC to use with my Bixler.

Bought a 20A from HK along with this plane and thought I'd be allright, but I was wrong. Turned out that they didn't include the connectors with ESC so I have to buy them seperately. Since I didn't want to wait another month for some connectors I reckoned that I could use the 18A ESC from my P-51D Mustang BL (ParkZone) and let it rest for a couple weeks while I give the Bixler a go with my Gopro.

But now I'm a bit worried, since I'm a total newb when it comes to the technicalities of the whole prop/esc/motor science I'm afraid that I'll torch my ESC and crash

So:
TGS Sport 6x4E Precision propeller
1300mah 3S 25~50C
20A ESC
Stock motor (2620 Brushless outrunner)

Will it work?

Thanks
Short answer - Yes.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jun 19, 2012, 02:43 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Aug 2010
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Short answer - Yes.
AJ
I happened to write 20A instead of 18A in my conclusion, will you still give me the same answer?
Tallyho85 is offline Find More Posts by Tallyho85
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:17 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Grazer, I use 2200mah batteries and full throttle flying yields about 10 minutes. I also use a 35amp ESC.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:53 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
Thanks Maddmax. What flight times do you get with the 2535kv and 7x5. Of course I need to now with what battery too please.
As that is a good motor I don't think running a 2535kv with that prop is going to be any quieter and probably nosier then stock.

Something around 1100-1200kv and a 7x6 would drop the noise quite a bit, be efficient and be able to move right along just fine. Mount it in a way to use a 8 inch prop and you could try different props of 7-8 inch range to find the best for your flying style.
The new EZ Star II's powers system uses a 1100kv with a 7x6 folder.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:24 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Grazer, I use 2200mah batteries and full throttle flying yields about 10 minutes. I also use a 35amp ESC.
Thank you.

Quote:
Something around 1100-1200kv and a 7x6 would drop the noise quite a bit, be efficient and be able to move right along just fine. Mount it in a way to use a 8 inch prop and you could try different props of 7-8 inch range to find the best for your flying style.
Thanks for the input. I think that is where I was heading. I hope to retain battery efficiency however.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:06 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeysPunk View Post
Can anyone help me with the best place to mount a spectrum reciver in a bixler ? I keep loosing signal with in inside but can't understand why. Even at close range it's dropping out
I use one of the Orange R610 spectrum receivers in my Skysurfer. It is Velcro to the inside wall just below the cockpit canopy. I sometimes have issues getting my 2200mah battery in and out but the Rx can easily be removed and replaced.

So far I haven't noticed any lost signal with that placement.

Did you do a range test on it?

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:21 PM
Australia, SA, Munno Para
Joined Sep 2011
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
I use one of the Orange R610 spectrum receivers in my Skysurfer. It is Velcro to the inside wall just below the cockpit canopy. I sometimes have issues getting my 2200mah battery in and out but the Rx can easily be removed and replaced.

So far I haven't noticed any lost signal with that placement.

Did you do a range test on it?

Vince
Why not place the RX a little further back.

constantly pulling and twisting the servo wires will break them sooner or latter and it may not end well.

I have my esc and rx, one on each side just behind the opening and they are never in the way for the 2200ma battery fitting or removal
golf_lake is offline Find More Posts by golf_lake
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:26 PM
Australia, SA, Munno Para
Joined Sep 2011
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho85 View Post
I happened to write 20A instead of 18A in my conclusion, will you still give me the same answer?
If you look back a few days AJ gave a figure of 17amps for a 6x4 prop.

I assume thats static on the ground and the amps will drop as the prop is unloaded in the air.

I am using a 25amp redbrick esc

why not just order a couple of packs of connectors and wait a couple of weeks?
do you have a any friends you can borrow some from ?
golf_lake is offline Find More Posts by golf_lake
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:52 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_lake View Post
Why not place the RX a little further back.

constantly pulling and twisting the servo wires will break them sooner or latter and it may not end well.

I have my esc and rx, one on each side just behind the opening and they are never in the way for the 2200ma battery fitting or removal
I was thinking of moving it back behind the opening for better battery access. I tried that once but the servo wires seem to interfere with the servo linkage for the rudder and elevator. This version of the SS has the servos and control rods inside the fuse which makes it a little crowded sometimes.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:28 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
The Sky sufer concept and the experience of flying it has me feeling like I made the right choice as the point of departure into flying.

20 hrs on the SS in the sim and then I took it out of the box, put it tighter and crashed it 13 times and fixed it and now I fly it any time I want.

Had my 'dream plane' bought, 60 days later, a 40" Beachcraft Staggerwing, and fell in love with the concept 'Scale Flying'.

After my training with the Sky Sufer I realized that all that I read said 'Don't go from your SS to a biplane' was correct, I finally did get it. I bought a 63" Cessna 182.

This will be my second level trainer. Then I will Fly the Beechcrart Model 17.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor