HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2012, 04:32 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
9X + FrSky has been great for me... I love it!
Me, too. I have never had a problem with mine. I even programmed it extensively. The only mod I did to it was to add a low voltage detector alarm. I am still learning and I have been up until very late on several occasions.
Do you have anything on YouTube?

AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:48 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_lake View Post
Order 6 wait till you get then and HK run out again and sell them for $99 on ebay
Yeah that makes sense if I was trying to make a profit at other hobbyists expense.

I'll just wait for HK to get more in and order 1 or hopefully find someone on Ebay who is not trying to make a major profit due to lack of supply.

I'm all for supporting America business by purchasing US made stuff but I have issues with someone in the US gouging me to purchase an item made in China and sold from a China supplier for half the price.
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:58 AM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Yeah that makes sense if I was trying to make a profit at other hobbyists expense.

I'll just wait for HK to get more in and order 1 or hopefully find someone on Ebay who is not trying to make a major profit due to lack of supply.

I'm all for supporting America business by purchasing US made stuff but I have issues with someone in the US gouging me to purchase an item made in China and sold from a China supplier for half the price.
I got one you can have for free.

plus $199. shipping and handling.
2500GENE is online now Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Finally got my SS back together with it's new motor mount with the stock motor and a 6x4E prop. Got rid of the nose weight and opened it up to accept a 2200 mah battery. Added air scope in front and vent hole in back to help keep the stock ESC cool.

First flight showed she was a little nose heavy with a CG of 60mm. After the 1st flight I just tossed the SS to see how it would glide. It veered to the left so I made some adjustment to the ailerons settings.

It was better balanced on my second flight but the wind started to gust and it was still nose heavy. Brought her down but couldn't get the throttle to stop motor. Did a tip stall at 4' ending in a cart wheel. Wings came apart and camera was knocked off of the nose but surprisingly no damage. Took her home to investigate motor issue.

Here is the flight video. I'll post some of the modification pix and the video from the ground perspective of the same flight later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=XjW2BswfR7w

After viewing the video from my hat perspective I realized I made the wrong control change which dropped the wing instead of flatting it out causing it to cartwheel. A nubee move if I ever saw one.
Last edited by Eagle202; Jun 17, 2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: added comment at bottom
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
I got one you can have for free.

plus $199. shipping and handling.
Gene

How about I drive down and just pick it up.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Here are the pix of my SS mods. Video still in the editing phase.

Here is the video from my hat cam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4I4i4_edxBg
Last edited by Eagle202; Jun 17, 2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: added video
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:41 PM
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
332 Posts
Several more flights yesterday. The APC 6x4e props work great.
Scooch is offline Find More Posts by Scooch
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:43 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooch View Post
Several more flights yesterday. The APC 6x4e props work great.
What does the 6x4e prop do differently than the stock prop and where can I get one?
Thanks,
DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:02 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
What does the 6x4e prop do differently than the stock prop and where can I get one?
Thanks,
DJ
It's a bit larger size then the stock prop and through trial and error we have found out it will create more thrust then the stock one that comes with the plane.
Any local hobby shop will stock APC props or you can order them online.
Being in FL, here's a quick and easy place to order.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...C-6-x-4/Detail
2500GENE is online now Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jun 17, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Thanks,
DJ
The prop on my pictures above is an APC 6x4E. I know I have bought at least one of them along with a number of RC parts from "headsuprc" which is the link that Gene posted.

They have pretty good prices and ship very fast.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 07:57 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
It's a bit larger size then the stock prop and through trial and error we have found out it will create more thrust then the stock one that comes with the plane.
Any local hobby shop will stock APC props or you can order them online.
Being in FL, here's a quick and easy place to order.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...C-6-x-4/Detail
Thanks, I never understood about these props.
DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:54 PM
Joined May 2012
48 Posts
My new best friends.

I am or I will be when it arrives in three days the new owner of a sky surfer.

I have read through a few of the fixes and will look to apply what I have learned but I am new to the hobby and not sure just how far I should go to make the plane ready for my first flight.

What should I do now and what can I put off till later?
flipout is offline Find More Posts by flipout
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:18 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Thanks,
DJ
They can spin off because the retaining nut can come loose. Ask me how I know. See the video below:

Sky Surfer - Use eP Props~!!.MOV (0 min 26 sec)

AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Jun 2012
7 Posts
Glad you brought this up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
They can spin off because the retaining nut can come loose. Ask me how I know. See the video below:

http://youtu.be/Z57KjYwf8AA

AJ
Seems my retaining nut is as tight as I can get it but at full power while holding it for launch I can tell the motor quits spinning the prop like it is to loose but back off the power and the prop spins normally. This is my first post so be gentle guys. Oh and by the way, I have spent the past month reading every post and learned a bunch. Am I supposed to use lock tight on the retaining cone also? Have 6 x4e prop but still using stock prop as I need to know how to enlarge the hole so the new prop will fit. Any ideas/ suggestions?
jimbo1101 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo1101
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1101 View Post
Seems my retaining nut is as tight as I can get it but at full power while holding it for launch I can tell the motor quits spinning the prop like it is to loose but back off the power and the prop spins normally. This is my first post so be gentle guys. Oh and by the way, I have spent the past month reading every post and learned a bunch. Am I supposed to use lock tight on the retaining cone also? Have 6 x4e prop but still using stock prop as I need to know how to enlarge the hole so the new prop will fit. Any ideas/ suggestions?
You may need to add some washers on either side of the prop. I had the same issue where the nut was as tight as it could go but the prop was a little loose. I put in one more washer and was able to get everything real tight