HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:33 AM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
More AOA would help but the wheel also looks too far forward. If you can, remount the wheel closer to the CG and lower the wheel (have more wheel protruding).

If you are flying off grass, raising the fuselage will allow it to gain speed quicker as it won't be plowing through the grass. Ideally you'd like enough ground clearance that the tail could lift off the ground and allow the elevator to rotate the plane into the correct AOA to lift smoothly off. I suspect in the current configuration it would eventually leap into the air if it was going fast enough.
it has to be able to rotate, meaning the front wheel should be bigger or placed lower, just fw of the Cof G

i did this and because the thrust angle points down the tail feathers do very little as do the ailerons ..taxiing was near impossible. and takeing off wasnt much better. it will ground loop more times than not.
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
Last edited by wilem; Jun 12, 2012 at 07:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIATION_RULZ View Post
Hey Everyone,

I'm wanting to modify my bixler a little bit but before I do wanted to get some feedback from you guy's in case there's something I'm missing or overlooking. Basically, I want to install 2 motors (1 on each wing) and convert my bixler from a pusher prop to a multi-motor.... kinda like the twinstar. I know rcpowers did something like this with his HawkSky but can't seem to find the video to get more details on it. I was thinking that if I have 2 motors (Turnigy 2826-2200kv), than I can also have 2 battery's in there.... one to supply each motor.
Anyways, what do you guy's think?

Thanks fellas!
two 2826s where you going to, the moon?

...should be a strong one.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:59 AM
United States, NY, Victor
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
1. Sort of. See attached. A Picture is worth.....
2. Only if the air blows the wrong way. If the wiring is correct, the air will blow rearwards whether the prop is on backwards or not.
AJ
OK thanks. So I am guessing that this non-pusher prop will need the motor to spin the other way from how it's set up. Is there a way to do this so that you can change the rotation direction in the field? Or am I looking at cutting and soldering the wires permanently?

Bryan
cassb is offline Find More Posts by cassb
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:52 AM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassb View Post
OK thanks. So I am guessing that this non-pusher prop will need the motor to spin the other way from how it's set up. Is there a way to do this so that you can change the rotation direction in the field? Or am I looking at cutting and soldering the wires permanently?

Bryan
You should be able to reverse motor direction through the esc if you know how to program it through the radio, or your computer{don't know what kind of radio you got} . This is why i never solder my esc directly to the motor, life is a bit easier when you don't.
Try and look for programing directions for your esc, if you can't find them, their are a few people here that can help you.
Hope this info is SOME use to you.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:12 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
cassb,
Just wanted to add a couple further points to describe normal prop setup.
As a general rule, the numbers on the prop point to the front.
The prop spins clockwise looking from the rear.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:52 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Gotta a question. I have a 3 cell 3200 with 30c dis charge. i know it will it in the nose and and i find cg without a problem,BUT, is stock motor enough to haul that big batt around and if so, does it require a running hand launch.?
Have this bat from a left over project and want to use it.
I here some are using big batts, but with more motor then sock
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
Gotta a question. I have a 3 cell 3200 with 30c dis charge. i know it will it in the nose and and i find cg without a problem,BUT, is stock motor enough to haul that big batt around and if so, does it require a running hand launch.?
i am pretty sure it will carry it with no problem.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:

Bryan
swap any two motor leads, cutting soldering is the only way. i dont think that you can do that in the radio.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:26 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Don't think he can do what in the radio?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Feb 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
Twins are cool!

A couple suggestions: a pair of 2826's is way more power (and weight when you consider the extra battery) than you need. A pair of Turnigy 2209/28 1050kv with 9x6 or 10x5 props is what I've used in 3 twins I've built. It's a nice set up. Draws only 25A, over 50 oz combined thrust and runs well on a single 2200mAh battery. Quiet too.

Use a single battery, or a Y connector for two batteries. No reason to separate the batteries and if you do, they'll have to be perfectly matched.

I'd make the wing one piece and bolt it to the fuselage. You'll also need landing gear or prop savers.

Should be a neat project.
Thank you for the motor options and the feedback Just a quick question. How do I hook up 2 ESC's to 1 Rx? Haven't ever flown twin motors before.
AVIATION_RULZ is offline Find More Posts by AVIATION_RULZ
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Feb 2012
777 Posts
Quote:
No problem at all as long as you get the CG right.
epyonxero is online now Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:17 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIATION_RULZ View Post
Thank you for the motor options and the feedback Just a quick question. How do I hook up 2 ESC's to 1 Rx? Haven't ever flown twin motors before.
Use a Y connector and plug both leads from the ESC'S into it and plug the Y connector into the receiver.

You may also plug both ESC leads into separate channels at the receiver and mix the two channels in your TX (assuming you have unused channels and a TX with mix capablity).

Either way you should disconnect one of the power (red) leads from the two ESCs to the receiver so a single BEC is powering the system. Or disconnect both red leads and use a separate switching BEC to power the receiver and servos.

You can often get away with leaving both ESCs powering the receiver but it's not a good practice.
pmullen503 is online now Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:44 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Read your posts.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:46 PM
United States, NY, Victor
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
Doesn't think you can reverse the motor direction via the radio programming (I just got a DX7 from rcrick in Classifieds!).

I guess I'll have to cut/swap the motor wiring then and just use a 'normal' prop on the plane from now on.
cassb is offline Find More Posts by cassb
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:57 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Doesn't think you can reverse the motor direction via the radio programming (I just got a DX7 from rcrick in Classifieds!).

I guess I'll have to cut/swap the motor wiring then and just use a 'normal' prop on the plane from now on.
You can't reverse the motor direction with any transmitter that I know of. You can reverse the motor direction with SOME ESC's (like Hacker and I sure there are others). But, generally, you have to swap two wires (as suggested by wilem). I hope that works out for you. BTW, you might want to start using 3.5mm hardware so you can swap motors around in different planes.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker