Slide rules? You guys must be AMA members. lol
Just old. But wise.
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jun 09, 2012, 11:33 PM
Joined Jan 2012
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotete View Post
Well I was amazed with you capacity to play Tetris! Because I also have the FY-31, also need a video TX, and have almost everything that you have but I needed a bigger pod, in layer's, for all the electronics!
How did you managed to put everything inside, with that pod? Do you have more photos with the inside layout in detail?
I'm thinking seriously about the DOSD, because it's only one unit and I can use PPM, so I will have less cables...
It's OK to have a CG in the 70mm? I'm on the 65mm but I need to had more unnecessary weight to get the plane leveled.

Geotete

First, nice setup - never seen that CF(?) rig. The use of a battery right under the canopy mount had way to much front weight on mine (i'm starting to think i may have way to much tape/fiberglass on the nose). I ran a strip of soft sided velcro down the entire bottom of the BIX interior. On the bottom of both the DOSD, battery and FY31A, I used the hard sided velcro (and to add extra cushion, I first used the sponge pads on FY31A for stability, then added velco to the bottom ). The DOSD is pushed to the front of the nose, then the FY31A... I cut a hole in the nose for the GPS and used 100mph tape to hold in place.

The battery sitting just under the back side of the VX mount pushed the CG to 55 to 59 mm... I really had to push it back to get a nominal 62 to 65 cg... (and recall, I originally had a 3s2p setup), the 2200 mAH battery was FAR in the back about 1/2 past rear edge of wing, then the 3300mAH battery just under wing with an AUW of 3.2#...).
Gotwings is offline Find More Posts by Gotwings
Old Jun 09, 2012, 11:53 PM
United States, MA, Tyngsborough
Joined Jun 2010
309 Posts
Tip Stall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotwings View Post
.... It went up and 2 seconds later, nose down. This the maiden voyage ......
These mysterious crashes are usually "tip stalls", something the Bixler is very prone to. Fly slow and turn slightly and this plane will fall out of the sky as if it had had a malfunction.

The only way to recover is to gain speed, but you need altitude for that. The best
is to accerate towards the ground and pull up at the last moment. Less nervy and equally sucessful is let go of the right stick and level out at the last moment. Practice on a simulator.
OwlPic is offline Find More Posts by OwlPic
Old Jun 09, 2012, 11:58 PM
United States, MA, Tyngsborough
Joined Jun 2010
309 Posts
Detachable Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
... glue in the wings to the fusalage, and to go one step furthur, as in also glue the two wing,halves together ...
The Bixler wings would get damaged trying to fit it in my sedan. Need removable wings.

We have been putting wings on for years with X-crossed rubber bands. The Bixler has some complications that need a little different solution.
OwlPic is offline Find More Posts by OwlPic
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:12 AM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Then check ou post 15630 from a guy called kmihalkov .
He's got a better than average solution.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:36 AM
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
332 Posts
What is the difference between a conventional "tractor" prop and a pusher prop?
Scooch is offline Find More Posts by Scooch
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:47 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooch View Post
What is the difference between a conventional "tractor" prop and a pusher prop?
With a pusher prop, you use a tractor to plow.
With a tractor prop, you use your wife.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Jun 10, 2012 at 02:09 AM. Reason: logic improvement
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:53 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Need some info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ands View Post
Just for fun
If you have a thing 125mm wide and you want it 487mm wide, whats the persentage of enlargement? not to scale i might add
On my slide rule, I got 390% (i.e. 125mm * 3.9 = ~490mm). I have no idea where GENE got his numbers. On a calculator, I got 389.6%. Hmmmmm...
I tried the % of increase that 487mm is over 125mm and got 289.6% (i.e.the length that needed to be added (362+125=487) - and then 362/125).
Where do your measurements come from and what do you need the % answer for?
It is not clear (to me) what you are looking for. But, 389.6% or 289.6% is correct depending on what exactly you are asking.
Example: If you have a 10 foot board and want increase to a 40 foot board, what % do you need it increased by - 400% or 300%? Clearly, it is 4 (400%) times longer than the original board. But, the 30 feet was "added" to the board by 3 (300%) times. The difference lies in the word "added". The popular answer to your question (As is) would be 389.6%. I am pretty sure this is not too far off topic....
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Jun 10, 2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:29 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlPic View Post
Having spent several hours studying the detachable wing ideas, I think I see a problem. It manifest it's self as a broken Carbon-fiber (CF) rod.
1) Velcro doesn't hold the wings in compression and allows a small gap and thus stress to form around the rod during flight.
I am the designer of the rubber band method (I know, so what....). The important thing about that is I don't use it anymore. I currently use the "NEW" velco method. The first velcro strips are attached to the wing halves. Then, a much longer strip goes THROUGH the wing saddle (on the bottom) and holds both wings together. For me, it is the next best thing to gluing in the wings. I totally agree with the "OLD" velcro method that you mentioned. With that, the velco can come loose and you would not necessarily notice it. You can see the new method in the post on Page #1 - Post #3 - Step 6. While I put the post there, I have not found out who the designer is. I hope one day he steps forward and claims credit for it. The most important thing is to use a design that WILL hold the wings together for an entire (even rough) flight (duh-put capt obvious pic here). There are several other designs that I guess work for other folks. But, I use this one 100% of the time because I have had ZERO problems with the design.
AJ
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:42 AM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwik View Post
Hi,

Why is it that planes always find the most destructive or in unreachable area to get into.
I was flying in a park that had a small reserve no bigger than 100metres by 30 with thickly
wooded area and i could not find it.
Mind u i have had another Bixler on order as i really love flying this and new some day would need another one.
Regards
Les
It's like the tree-magnets that many expensive planes carry. Only for FPV planes, they look for wilderness areas, then dive.

Have you tried an alarm? Attach one to an RX channel, and it will sound a loud noise if it loses signal. If you have a spare channel, you can put it on a switch on your TX. Otherwise, you can just Y-cable it onto any channel, and if you lose the plane just turn off the TX.
The noise is loud enough that you can locate the A/C from 50 feet away. Or so I've read - I've never had to use mine. They cost from $5 to $20 from various sources.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:29 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
My slide rule is a K & E Log-Log scale type. New when I bought it in 1971. Old now. At least it doesn't run on batteries.
Oh, one of the new ones, mine is 1960. The new one is mid '60s. No batteries, no wonder I couldn't find the battery compartment lid....
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:39 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,130 Posts
Wing retention - I use a steel 2 mm wire which hooks over the 3M hooks under the wing. Its ends have a reverse curve and there is a rubber band, parallel to the wire, that goes over these to capture the wire. To remove the wings, flick the rubber band off the wire, unclick the wire from the hooks and pull the wings apart.

Props - the lad I was flying with today was offered a 6x5 by another flyer and after I reamed it out to fit he tried it. Just that little bit better than the 6x4 that I was flying with.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:14 AM
wottree
United Kingdom, England, Exeter
Joined Nov 2011
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
On my slide rule, I got 390% (i.e. 125mm * 3.9 = ~490mm). I have no idea where GENE got his numbers. On a calculator, I got 389.6%. Hmmmmm...
I tried the % of increase that 487mm is over 125mm and got 289.6% (i.e.the length that needed to be added (362+125=487) - and then 362/125).
Where do your measurements come from and what do you need the % answer for?
It is not clear (to me) what you are looking for. But, 389.6% or 289.6% is correct depending on what exactly you are asking.
Example: If you have a 10 foot board and want increase to a 40 foot board, what % do you need it increased by - 400% or 300%? Clearly, it is 4 (400%) times longer than the original board. But, the 30 feet was "added" to the board by 3 (300%) times. The difference lies in the word "added". The popular answer to your question (As is) would be 389.6%. I am pretty sure this is not too far off topic....
AJ
389.6% Correct answer AJ.
ands is offline Find More Posts by ands
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:18 AM
Joined Mar 2011
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotwings View Post
First, nice setup - never seen that CF(?) rig. The use of a battery right under the canopy mount had way to much front weight on mine (i'm starting to think i may have way to much tape/fiberglass on the nose). I ran a strip of soft sided velcro down the entire bottom of the BIX interior. On the bottom of both the DOSD, battery and FY31A, I used the hard sided velcro (and to add extra cushion, I first used the sponge pads on FY31A for stability, then added velco to the bottom ). The DOSD is pushed to the front of the nose, then the FY31A... I cut a hole in the nose for the GPS and used 100mph tape to hold in place.

The battery sitting just under the back side of the VX mount pushed the CG to 55 to 59 mm... I really had to push it back to get a nominal 62 to 65 cg... (and recall, I originally had a 3s2p setup), the 2200 mAH battery was FAR in the back about 1/2 past rear edge of wing, then the 3300mAH battery just under wing with an AUW of 3.2#...).
I didn't want to "loose" space inside the fuselage, so my servos are in the tail, and because of that I have a heavier tail.
Your layout is great for everything, I really need to move the CG on mine, I don't want to add more unnecessary weight.

The 65mm is the ideal, but what are the safe margins?

NorCalMatCat, since you also are flying with the FY-31 can you share your layout, and setup?

Geotete
geotete is offline Find More Posts by geotete