HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:44 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
So are you talking about just testing seperate bec's or ones that are built in as well? What about swtch mode?
sBEC is switch mode. For me, my plan is to test an external 5A BEC with a 50A without a BEC builtin. I want to keep the experiment as clean as possible. That would be very hard to do with 2 different ESC's with built in BEC's with both linear and switch mode. It seems that Turnigy 40A ESC has both configurations. But, I think it is still a better experiment using a separate BEC for a common ESC (with no BEC built-in). This is kind of an open invitational experiment for anyone in this thread. I invite anyone to follow whatever method they use for this. The only thing I ask is that each person post his number's here in this thread. The final objective is to determine if we collectively recommend everyone with a SkyS/Bix should convert their configuration to an external sBEC for better cooling and safety. To keep consistency as much as possible, I suggest that we all use a stock motor and stock prop. That way, we control the base components as much as we can.
AJ

Credit for each part or portion of a documented listing, or photo, or movie will be given to the contributor. As always, if there is any disagreement to rights of publishing, Prof100 will decide who gets the credit and his decision is final.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:34 AM
Joined Aug 2006
6 Posts
Well seeing as my EasyStar committed suicide in a very dramatic fashion on Sunday (flying in too much wind and literally flew the wings off it, ended badly, not repairable) this is going to be my next plane, kit is on the way from readymadrc with some electronics coming from rtctimer (I want to keep the EasyStar stuff for a future project). Trying to catch up on the mods to this airframe and getting supplies together for the recommended upgrades, I can't wait to get this in the air and have some fun, and hopefully keep the wings attached in flight....
Navy Chief is offline Find More Posts by Navy Chief
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:18 AM
United States, IL, Kankakee
Joined Jan 2011
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
I know I wasn't supposed to read this but for those who are interested in the question there's bit more info in my post here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=14945

In summary 4x HXT900's stalled pull just under 2.5A.

All the 3A UBECs I tested could actually deliver 3A continuously but a lot of them got very hot at that current. None actually failed, but after 10minutes at 3A some were well over 80C (180F).

So in practice you aren't going to have problem with a 3A switched BEC on a Bixler/Skysurfer since the chances of running 4 servos stalled for 10 minutes AND staying airborne are zero for other reasons I would think.

So those test results being known brings up a question. Do we know what the stock SS ESC is as far as the rated and or actual BEC specs or limitations
bigdogg1 is offline Find More Posts by bigdogg1
Old Jun 05, 2012, 10:12 AM
United States, NY, Victor
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
Well seeing as my EasyStar committed suicide in a very dramatic fashion on Sunday (flying in too much wind and literally flew the wings off it, ended badly, not repairable) this is going to be my next plane, kit is on the way from readymadrc with some electronics coming from rtctimer (I want to keep the EasyStar stuff for a future project). Trying to catch up on the mods to this airframe and getting supplies together for the recommended upgrades, I can't wait to get this in the air and have some fun, and hopefully keep the wings attached in flight....
Speaking of wings attached (not sure whether yours broke up or just came out), but my son thought of a unique solution to keeping the wings in. He stuck 2 toothpicks in through the fuselage into the wing on each side, one at the front and one at the back edge. We have not tested it yet, but it seems like it should hold until they vibrate the toothpick holes bigger and start wobbling again.

My next solution if this didn't work is some rare-earth magnets and velcro.
cassb is offline Find More Posts by cassb
Old Jun 05, 2012, 10:18 AM
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassb View Post
Velcro doesn't work. I tried that and the wings continued to seperate while in flight.
Scooch is offline Find More Posts by Scooch
Old Jun 05, 2012, 11:11 AM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassb View Post
Speaking of wings attached (not sure whether yours broke up or just came out), but my son thought of a unique solution to keeping the wings in. He stuck 2 toothpicks in through the fuselage into the wing on each side, one at the front and one at the back edge. We have not tested it yet, but it seems like it should hold until they vibrate the toothpick holes bigger and start wobbling again.

The mod i use for wing retension is the command hooks/rubber band method.
Works super.
If you use this mod, simply attatch your hooks on top side of wing,right around the spar erea, then stretch your rubber band on them and voila.
Some pics, very simple mod, plus great cheap insurance.
Got this mod from somone from here,can't remember from who,just passing it along.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Last edited by Limited flyer; Jun 05, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 11:40 AM
wic
Finland, Uusimaa, Porvoo
Joined Apr 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooch View Post
Velcro doesn't work. I tried that and the wings continued to seperate while in flight.
What type of Velcro you had used?
I have also Velcro and its very stable.

Andy
wic is offline Find More Posts by wic
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Nov 2011
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wic View Post
What type of Velcro you had used?
I have also Velcro and its very stable.

Andy
Don't remember. It didn't work for me so I moved on. I also use the command hooks on the wings. Here is a small piece of plastic that I cut from a gatorade bottle to help protect the foam.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 02:52 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Good Velcro used properly works fine. You can't just velcro the ends of the wing together.
See page 1, Post 3, Mod 6
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2149
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Last edited by IFlyRCs; Jun 05, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 02:54 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
So i have to thank you for that huh, well, thanksdid'nt use any plastic pieces though, the rubber band does not have to be super tight to do the job.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Nov 2011
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
So i have to thank you for that huh, well, thanksdid'nt use any plastic pieces though, the rubber band does not have to be super tight to do the job.
No, don't thank me. I did re-post it earlier but I got it from someone else. Works good.

Here is a question. I just got a replacement carbon fiber tube for the wingspar. The tube I got is 6mm x 5mm. I also have a 4mm tube that I want to put inside the 6mm tube for added strength. Would it be better to just slide the smaller tube in or would gluing it in with epoxy or CA be better for strength?
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:03 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,426 Posts
Quote:
No, don't thank me. I did re-post it earlier but I got it from someone else. Works good.

Here is a question. I just got a replacement carbon fiber tube for the wingspar. The tube I got is 6mm x 5mm. I also have a 4mm tube that I want to put inside the 6mm tube for added strength. Would it be better to just slide the smaller tube in or would gluing it in with epoxy or CA be better for strength?
Glue it with epoxy or gorilla glue. CA will kick off before you get them slid together. You'd have a tapered fishing pole.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jun 05, 2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:07 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:

What i do is just glue the two ends once the small one is in the big one, but one could drizzle glue on the whole leanth of it, it'll have to be your call on how you do it, either would work fine.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:55 PM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
I ran a bead all the way around the inner rod with foam safe CA then slid it in. Acted like lube but be quick. If u stop to long it will set up and like said above u will have a carbon fiber fishing rod. lol
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Jun 05, 2012, 04:24 PM
Germany
Joined Sep 2011
192 Posts
Hi guys
my solution is another
kmihalkov is offline Find More Posts by kmihalkov