HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2012, 06:32 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabric8 View Post
I took a trip to the local dollar store with the intent to pickup some plastic tablespoons or measuring cups to use as air scoops to cool my ESC. Then I stumbled on a wine pourer + cap. The cap, if cut in half, would be perfect

I decided to mount them by the servo openings, since there are already holes there. I have my ESC mounted right behind one servo, so it gets air from both openings

I had those in my dad's bixler, but his ESC was still warm after flight, so I picked up some aluminum heatsinks at the local electronic used parts store for under $0.95. I cut out the heat shrink and removed the stock aluminum plate. There's some rubbery layer between the aluminum plate and the chips which I believe helps conduct heat to it. So I reused it with the heatsink cut down to to fit right over the chips. Finally, I used some tiny rubberbands to help hold it in place

After my flights today, my ESC was cool to the touch. Will report back after I fly a full pack.
A warm esc is normal. If sized properly the heat is coming from it being a linear bec which uses a resistor to drop voltage for the RX and servos.. A switching bec esc will be cooler.
Also installing a heatsink is usless if you leave the plastic in between it and the esc. It needs to be mounted directly on the esc's metal to transfer the heat to the cooling air.. EDIT: after looking again I see you cut the plastic back....eyes getting old. My bad.
I like the air scoops. Did you drink the wine before or after the install?
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Last edited by 2500GENE; Jun 03, 2012 at 06:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2012, 07:59 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
You don't think he'll admit it if he did, would you:}
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Jun 03, 2012, 02:41 AM
Australia, SA, Munno Para
Joined Sep 2011
929 Posts
I have lost the screws that hold the motor in, yer I know slack as.

Can anyone tell me the length and size of the stock motor screws please

Yes I will lock tight them this time
golf_lake is offline Find More Posts by golf_lake
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:34 PM
Fixed and rotary wing flyer
United States, CA, Newark
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
Flew the Bixler again today with no wind. I had to add a washer to the nose even with my 2200mah 3s lipo up at the nose. So I think the CG is not at the spar where I had read somewhere that said it was. But with the washer, the plane had a perfect glide angle.

So my question now is with powered flight. At half throttle, the plane flies nice and level. But at 3/4th to full throttle, the plane climbs on its own at about 45 degrees.

Do I need to tilt the motor downward to correct this?
fabric8 is online now Find More Posts by fabric8
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:46 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Flew the Bixler again today with no wind. I had to add a washer to the nose even with my 2200mah 3s lipo up at the nose. So I think the CG is not at the spar where I had read somewhere that said it was. But with the washer, the plane had a perfect glide angle.

So my question now is with powered flight. At half throttle, the plane flies nice and level. But at 3/4th to full throttle, the plane climbs on its own at about 45 degrees.

Do I need to tilt the motor downward to correct this?
That would make it worse. Assuming the airframe is proper then decreasing the angle of the motor would help keep the nose down under power.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
By "decreasing the angle", do you mean I should angle the motor toward being parallel with the fuselage?

Meaning, when viewing it from the back of the plane, angle the motor so the tip of the spinner goes downward?
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:15 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_lake View Post
I have lost the screws that hold the motor in, yer I know slack as.

Can anyone tell me the length and size of the stock motor screws please

Yes I will lock tight them this time
Now that you have a chance, why not convert over to a PCV mount? Use a 1 1/4 to 1 inch PCV bushing (adapter) with a X mount. You can find the bushing at any hardware store that sells PCV water pipe.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 05:44 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Now that you have a chance, why not convert over to a PCV mount? Use a 1 1/4 to 1 inch PCV bushing (adapter) with a X mount. You can find the bushing at any hardware store that sells PCV water pipe.
The PCV bushing is just too easy of a upgrade. However, SOTOG's CNC mount is even easier.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 06:46 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
By "decreasing the angle", do you mean I should angle the motor toward being parallel with the fuselage?

Meaning, when viewing it from the back of the plane, angle the motor so the tip of the spinner goes downward?
Yes, little at a time until it acts the way you want it to.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 06:51 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
The PCV bushing is just too easy of a upgrade. However, SOTOG's CNC mount is even easier.
Why waste perfectly good beer money on something you can make yourself for less then a buck?
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
Quote:
Yes, little at a time until it acts the way you want it to.
Perfect. Thanks for the confirmation. Will try that and report back.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:53 PM
United States, IL, Kankakee
Joined Jan 2011
29 Posts
Sky Surfer - ESC Question

Could anyone give me an approximate idea what the amp draw would be with a stock motor and ESC. I am planning on using an APC 6x4 Prop. Will the stock parts handle the prop ugrade? Part 2, Has anyone used a digital meter as a watt meter as described somewhere within this site as a $3.00 watt meter. is it safe and or accurate ?
bigdogg1 is offline Find More Posts by bigdogg1
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:05 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
I used the next size up from that one. 1 1/2 to 1 1/4. Then, yesterday, I finally tried the one above. I avoided trying it because I did not want to do all that grinding with my dremel and a drum sander. Well, as you know, it only takes about 5 mins. (or less with experience) to make it the right size to clear outrunners and about 1mm or air clearance. So, I am a convert now. I threw away the other two adapters that I used before (1 1/2 to 1 1/4). I should have followed your advice a long time ago. Ah well, better late..........
You know, I don't ever remember you posting a video showing YOU flying. I am not sure that you even know how to fly (airplanes - not bricks). Got any proof? huh? huh? huh?
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:13 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Harbor Freight meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogg1 View Post
1. Could anyone give me an approximate idea what the amp draw would be with a stock motor and ESC.
2. I am planning on using an APC 6x4 Prop. Will the stock parts handle the prop ugrade? Part 2,
3. Has anyone used a digital meter as a watt meter as described somewhere within this site as a $3.00 watt meter?
4. is it safe
5. and or accurate ?
1. Here are the #'s with an APC 6x4 and using the stock 1300mah LiPo:
17.18Ap
10.56Vm
186.5Wp
2. Yes. Easily.
3. Yes. I have 4 of those meters. They are routinely $3.99 on-sale.
4. Yes.
5. Yes. I checked it with another DVM and it is perfect.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:14 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I used the next size up from that one. 1 1/2 to 1 1/4. Then, yesterday, I finally tried the one above. I avoided trying it because I did not want to do all that grinding with my dremel and a drum sander. Well, as you know, it only takes about 5 mins. (or less with experience) to make it the right size to clear outrunners and about 1mm or air clearance. So, I am a convert now. I threw away the other two adapters that I used before (1 1/2 to 1 1/4). I should have followed your advice a long time ago. Ah well, better late..........
You know, I don't ever remember you posting a video showing YOU flying. I am not sure that you even know how to fly (airplanes - not bricks). Got any proof? huh? huh? huh?
AJ
I've seen the ones where Gene terrorizes his dogs with that RC truck.

Where can I get a cross piece that fits the stock motor? I'm not sure of the exact size and screw hole alignment.

Vince
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202