Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:21 PM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
A gator ate my plane! ROFL
that is much better than wondering where it is ...Mine flew away......
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:37 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem View Post
that is much better than wondering where it is ...Mine flew away......
That happened to me once... it came back a month later
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: (B)ixler-28 Maiden
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:50 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
If she lands up-rite without getting the electronics wet you will still have a hard time powering it back to land with out a way to steer. More than likely she will just go around in circles.

As for the swans eating a foamee!!! Maybe if they are related to goats. Although they may peck at it if they feel it has intruded into their habitat.

If you live down in Florida like Gene and I do then Gators are a real possibility.
I have ducks and Canadian gees to worry about LOL
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Disco gimbal
Old Jun 01, 2012, 11:34 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Silliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Well, that's why they are designated as 6x4e for high RPM applications and not DD or HD, etc. Again, 6x4e (or 6x4E if you will), brand doesn't matter.

Ted
Once again, you show you limited knowledge of propellers. The RPM applications you mention is totally the opposite of reality. Nitro props are stressed more than electric props and will handle MUCH higher RPM applications than electric props. Read and learn:
http://www.rcpowers.com/community/th...fference.8035/
AJ
Note that the post was made by the administrator. BTW-Note that the prop in that post is a nitro prop - much sturdier than an "E" prop.
UPdate: For those of you that are interested in prop stuff, you might want to read this directly from APC
http://www.apcprop.com/v/html/rpm_limits.html
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Jun 02, 2012 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Add Data
Old Jun 01, 2012, 11:42 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ands View Post
Guys, if I go down in the drink (see att) will she float and can I power her back for collection and will the swans eat her?

Want to do a low fly over water with cam but it will be my first attempt...
Dont be scared look at my last videos there is water everywhere LOL
Just dont go too low and you will be fine, practice few really low level flights on dry land and then pretend you dont see the water and just give a go
:-))
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Disco gimbal
Old Jun 01, 2012, 11:42 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Just once......

Quote:
If she lands up-rite without getting the electronics wet you will still have a hard time powering it back to land with out a way to steer. More than likely she will just go around in circles.

:
...... I landed in a swimming pool with an EZ* I was pleasantly surprised that the prop wash going over the rudder allowed for some fairly precise steering. I don't know for sure if that would work for a SkyS/Bix. I suspect it would. It sort of makes sense. But, it seems that water should be limited to float planes.
I need a captain obvious for that statement. Where is GENE when you need him?
AJ
Old Jun 02, 2012, 01:36 AM
Fixed and rotary wing flyer
United States, CA, Newark
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
I finally got my Bixler airborne today

and it was great! I went with Weekend Flyer's motor mount setup using the GWS plastic mount, but reversed it for the prop clearance I needed. For $2.80 for 2 at the LHS, it was the simplest and fastest option.

Here are some pics of my install:

I had already built my plane, so I had to cut split open the nacelle to get the mount glued in. I used one of those box cutters that have the long blades that you snap off section at a time as they get dull. With the blade fully extended, it cut right through the nacelle nice and clean. I then took and exacto and cut out some notches:

I also had to cut one quarter of the motor mount to allow the wires to pass through:

I gave it some right thrust, based on the roll problems I had with my dad's plane

Then I glued the motor mount to one side of the nacelle with gorilla glue. After it cured, I used foam tac to glue the rest of the nacelle back together, and more gorilla glue for the other half of the motormount to the nacelle

It was very gusty when I flew, but I was determined to try. The wind really blew the plane around, but I fought it and after a few fly bys, I brought it down and had to bring it in with power to fight the strong head wind. I couldn't stop, so I flew it 2 more times for a total of about 8 minutes of flight time. My CG is right at the spar, but with the strong wind, I think I could have used more nose weight. I'm going to try and fly tomorrow early with no wind to see how it does. But so far, the plane flew straight under power and didn't need any trimming.

It was a blast.
fabric8 is offline Find More Posts by fabric8
Last edited by fabric8; Jun 02, 2012 at 02:59 AM. Reason: attached pics instead
Old Jun 02, 2012, 01:51 AM
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
2 mods to help cool the ESC

I took a trip to the local dollar store with the intent to pickup some plastic tablespoons or measuring cups to use as air scoops to cool my ESC. Then I stumbled on a wine pourer + cap. The cap, if cut in half, would be perfect

I decided to mount them by the servo openings, since there are already holes there. I have my ESC mounted right behind one servo, so it gets air from both openings

I had those in my dad's bixler, but his ESC was still warm after flight, so I picked up some aluminum heatsinks at the local electronic used parts store for under $0.95. I cut out the heat shrink and removed the stock aluminum plate. There's some rubbery layer between the aluminum plate and the chips which I believe helps conduct heat to it. So I reused it with the heatsink cut down to to fit right over the chips. Finally, I used some tiny rubberbands to help hold it in place

After my flights today, my ESC was cool to the touch. Will report back after I fly a full pack.
Last edited by fabric8; Jun 02, 2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 01:54 AM
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
Just another couple of shots. I went with the 3M hooks and rubber bands to hold my wings together. I didn't bother gluing the spar to either wing. It works just fine
Last edited by fabric8; Jun 02, 2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 02:40 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabric8 View Post
Just another couple of shots. I went with the 3M hooks and rubber bands to hold my wings together. I didn't bother gluing the spar to either wing. It works just fine:
Do not use Insert image (above). Please use manage attachments (button below) instead.
AJ
Old Jun 02, 2012, 03:02 AM
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Do not use Insert image (above). Please use manage attachments (button below) instead.
AJ
Sorry 'bout that. Fixed them all to attachments instead.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 05:40 AM
Multicopter Crash Tester
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
Dodgy Power Test video 330w at peak @ 27Amps

Took the plastic off the screen after this.....

Battery drainage at Full throttle lol

RCTimer 2826- 2200kv - 350watt max
6x4E APC Prop
HK 50Amp ESC
Turnigy 2200 30C 3 Cell

Bixler Power Test (0 min 37 sec)
Amfamora is offline Find More Posts by Amfamora
Last edited by Amfamora; Jun 02, 2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 08:05 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
...... I landed in a swimming pool with an EZ* I was pleasantly surprised that the prop wash going over the rudder allowed for some fairly precise steering. I don't know for sure if that would work for a SkyS/Bix. I suspect it would. It sort of makes sense. But, it seems that water should be limited to float planes.
I need a captain obvious for that statement. Where is GENE when you need him?
AJ
Some of the videos I have seen just have the foamee going around in circles due to lack of steering and usually one of the wing tips is heavier and dips into the water causing drag.

I'm sure Gene has a video that shows him flying his brick in water.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jun 02, 2012, 05:45 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Quote:
Some of the videos I have seen just have the foamee going around in circles due to lack of steering and usually one of the wing tips is heavier and dips into the water causing drag.

I am sure you are right. I was just lucky.
AJ
Old Jun 02, 2012, 05:58 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,967 Posts
Quote:

I'm converting it to an airboat to confuse the gators.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE