HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2012, 05:40 AM
Multicopter Crash Tester
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
For a person just starting out in the hobby, the RTF , is {and i am sure a lot of the people that keep up with thread will agree} is the way to go.
If a person decides that this isn't for him/her, then that's that, but if they get into it, one can upgrade any time THEY choose.

By the way, Irun EVERY thing stock except for the prop and battery,NOT one problem since{axcept for pilot error}.

Be careful on advice you give to begginers.{You were one too, you know}
I could argue people would be put off the hobby if there new plane smashed inferior parts out of the box too easily causing frustration
Amfamora is offline Find More Posts by Amfamora
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 06:36 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfamora View Post
I could argue people would be put off the hobby if there new plane smashed inferior parts out of the box too easily causing frustration
If their plane is there with its original parts, there shouldn't be any problem with their flying of it.

The lad last night, Limited flyer's, mine, and how many more, all using original parts. You admit to not using original parts as you say you got a kit and it appears you changed things. Other than breaking a linkage (rough with it?) what other personal experience of things breaking?

As for frustration from crashing - that is part of the game for new flyers and if they can't accept it, better they do something else. No loss to RC flyers, we're not going to go extinct.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old May 31, 2012, 07:20 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
1,886 Posts
Quote:
They could also get put off buy having to buy all this extra stuff and fit it all!! Being new and not knowing how to put it all in and even knowing what everything is!!!
Some people don't have the time, the space or even all the tools!
RTF is fine for first plane. I bought the PNP and had no trouble with the standard electronics, until I had a petrol powered zero chop all the wires up.
Now i've bought the ARF bixler, leaving all the standard electronics in it, just added nav lights, flaps, the single landing wheel (glider style) and a repaint so I don't get attacked buy zeros again!!!
Just need to figure out how to upload pictures from the iPhone!!

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Last edited by taz101; May 31, 2012 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Spelt my own name wrong!! Shesh!!
Old May 31, 2012, 07:30 AM
Multicopter Crash Tester
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
*Sigh* Fair enough points.....

But Depends on your budget and expectations I suppose.... In choosing what I did to mine I took heed of other peoples warnings and experiences and decided to futureproof mine as much as possible based on those experiences.

When has China ever been praised for quality..... Aftermarket parts suppliers wouldnt exist if original stuff never went wrong or couldnt be improved on. Each to their own I was just sharing an opinion.
Old May 31, 2012, 07:43 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101 View Post
They could also get put off buy having to buy all this extra stuff and fit it all!! Being new and not knowing how to put it all in and even knowing what everything is!!!
Agree with you there which is a good reason for the RTF.

Quote:
Now i've bought the ARF Bixler, leaving all the standard electronics in it, just added nav lights, flaps, the single landing wheel (glider style) and a repaint so I don't get attacked buy Zeros again!!!
LIRCH
Did you add the wheel from a picture on RCGroups (mine?) or figure it yourself?
Flaps - been thinking of those - just the droop down (note - droop, not drop) type? I have thought of pop-up airbrakes as per gliders.
Paint - orange on the underside wing tips helps me spot it.
Lights - got to fit those soon.
The Zero that flies on our field is electric as is the BF-109G. I can outrun both.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old May 31, 2012, 07:53 AM
Multicopter Crash Tester
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
Well you would be a little naive to get into a hobby like this without knowing what the parts are.... and what they do. This was my first kit build from scratch, captain obvious and Google/Youtube are a wealth of knowledge......
Old May 31, 2012, 08:05 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
Did you add the wheel from a picture on RCGroups (mine?) or figure it yourself?
Flaps - been thinking of those - just the droop down (note - droop, not drop) type? I have thought of pop-up airbrakes as per gliders.
Paint - orange on the underside wing tips helps me spot it.
Lights - got to fit those soon.
The Zero that flies on our field is electric as is the BF-109G. I can outrun both.
No I had the wheel added to the first one before I even found this thread! I did see your picture though, it is very similar to that! Did you end up putting it in yours? If I remember correctly that picture only showed it positioned but not fitted!
The paint I have done is all silver, ala warbird style with shark mouth. Just wanted something different!!
Flaps are just normal flaps.

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Old May 31, 2012, 08:30 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Well here is the video from this morning, I guess got to be rain cause plane flew like a dream LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6awa...ature=youtu.be
Nice video. Remind me not to be too close to the screen so that I won't c**p when those pictures pop up.

That is a nice area to fly in. Looks like a big sports complex for baseball and soccer. Is that a college campus? I don't recall a city park that big but I have been out of the state for a long time now.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old May 31, 2012, 08:35 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Nice video. Remind me not to be too close to the screen so that I won't c**p when those pictures pop up.

That is a nice area to fly in. Looks like a big sports complex for baseball and soccer. Is that a college campus? I don't recall a city park that big but I have been out of the state for a long time now.
Its just a huge park, fairly new I guess there used to be a farmland
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New (old) Disco gimbal
Old May 31, 2012, 08:51 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,584 Posts
Quote:
Its just a huge park, fairly new I guess there used to be a farmland
ah yes. The Garden State is slowly becoming less and less of a vegetable and fruit supplier. Well at least it wasn't a large parking lot.

Did I tell you why I moved out of NJ. There were too many people on the road (it is the most densely populate state) along with taxes and insurance rates that were increasing way too fast for me.

Of course now being in Florida where my home insurance started at $800 and would now be at $5000 if I had stayed with Nationwide because of the hurricanes and sinkholes. At least it isn't as crowed here except when the Snowbirds come down for vacation.

I swear Arizona is looking better and better.
Old May 31, 2012, 08:54 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,776 Posts
Haha, $800 ??!! nice. Im stuck here for good unfortunately :-(
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New (old) Disco gimbal
Old May 31, 2012, 10:47 AM
United States, NY, Victor
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101 View Post
Some people don't have the time, the space or even all the tools!
RTF is fine for first plane. I bought the PNP and had no trouble with the standard electronics, until I had a petrol powered zero chop all the wires up.
Now i've bought the ARF bixler, leaving all the standard electronics in it, just added nav lights, flaps, the single landing wheel (glider style) and a repaint so I don't get attacked buy zeros again!!!
Just need to figure out how to upload pictures from the iPhone!!

LURCH
Hi Lurch. I have been thinking it would be cool to put some LED lights on the plane, at least to be able to tell left from right while it's in the air. Is there a thread or somewhere I can go to see what pieces are needed to mounting LEDs like that?

Thanks!
Bryan
cassb is offline Find More Posts by cassb
Old May 31, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,584 Posts
Quote:
Haha, $800 ??!! nice. Im stuck here for good unfortunately :-(
Of course that was in 2004. I think it was around $400 when I first moved down in 1988. Now it is $2500 - $5000 depending on who you are with.
Old May 31, 2012, 10:59 AM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
No need to say anything to you now, everybody said what i would have, and more.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old May 31, 2012, 12:34 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
ah yes. The Garden State is slowly becoming less and less of a vegetable and fruit supplier. Well at least it wasn't a large parking lot.

Did I tell you why I moved out of NJ. There were too many people on the road (it is the most densely populate state) along with taxes and insurance rates that were increasing way too fast for me.

Of course now being in Florida where my home insurance started at $800 and would now be at $5000 if I had stayed with Nationwide because of the hurricanes and sinkholes. At least it isn't as crowed here except when the Snowbirds come down for vacation.

I swear Arizona is looking better and better.
Man you MUST LOVE the HEAT, from NJ to Florida to considering Arizona?! ROFL.

I love it up here in Humboldt Cali, I am right on the ocean and we have our own little ecosystem, it rarely gets hotter then 65 in the summer, and rarely gets colder then 50 in the winter .
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Recent Juggernaut Flights