HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2012, 08:18 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
No offset required. Both of my Skysurfers have the motor on fuselage centerline and they fly fine. I suspect a warped wing is causing people to counter the flying problems associated with such problems by putting in a some side thrust.

Straight on center is my recommendation.
Thx this is how I have it but it flies like crap, suspect warp fuse and wing after crash.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2012, 09:37 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Thx this is how I have it but it flies like crap, suspect warp fuse and wing after crash.
Check your decals too. If they lose adhesion to the wing they can lift and act as control surface modifiers. AJ Baker discovered the problem.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Apr 2012
116 Posts
The channel that mine sits in is slightly offset also. It looks 100% intentional.... But I could be wrong...
elcid79 is offline Find More Posts by elcid79
Old May 30, 2012, 11:00 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Gyro Classes for anyone interested in learning how to use them on airplanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
thx prof & AJ for the gyros infos....I have three heli gyros...GY520/spartan (used)/GP780 and 3 helis....1 active/1 upgrading/1 still in the box.....so no worries here, Im already familiar with the HH and Rate mode. Maybe, I just opt for cheap but decent gyro out there....

1. Any recos guys?....and

2. What (the most) control surfaces (ail/rud/ele) that u guys put a gyro to?
You are welcome. That Prof100 guy is always one upping me So, I am gonna one up him this time. Here is the thread all about gyros that was started by the guy (Melnic) that Prof100 mentioned.
The one up is the video class that you might be interested in that is given by another pretty knowledgeable guy (RC Powers). Enjoy....
BTW- If the old man one ups me again, I am sending 2500GENE over to his house to reverse the direction on all his gyros. That'll learn 'em.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; May 30, 2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: typo
Old May 30, 2012, 11:08 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
more about SkyS motor offset

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid79 View Post
The channel that mine sits in is slightly offset also. It looks 100% intentional.... But I could be wrong...
It is intentional. That is the way it is made. What Prof100 and I are saying is that it is OK (preferred by me/us?) to have the motor go straight back with no offset. All three of my SkyS's had a slight CCW offset (when viewed from the top of the plane). The one with the stock motor is still offset and flies the same as the two with no offset. At least, for me, I can see no difference at all. Of course, since we are dealing with aerodynamics, any difference in the motor offset has to make some difference. I am just saying that I cannot detect any difference. So, in summary, offset(tiny)/no offset - choose one. IMO, neither one is wrong.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 30, 2012, 02:50 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Check your decals too. If they lose adhesion to the wing they can lift and act as control surface modifiers. AJ Baker discovered the problem.
They all look ok. made couple flights today and all of a sudden plane flew pretty well LOL

Vid coming soon :-)
Old May 30, 2012, 04:13 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Or one could take the crappy decals off and lay down some paint., just sayin
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old May 30, 2012, 04:16 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
I achieved a nearly 2 mile glide today with only 120 meter altitude loss
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old May 30, 2012, 04:49 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Thermals and wind were in your favour.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old May 30, 2012, 05:27 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
Thermals and wind were in your favour.
Yeah there was some thermals going on for sure, I broke my personal ground record while flying FPV and made it to 3km before my video started getting unusable (happened FAST too :P), so I turned on RTH, cut throttle and turned around, I was at 500 meters when I turned, and was at 380 meters when I got back close to myself . I did notice some thermals in the flight, for a good 1/2km I didn't even lose any altitude, actually gained a few meters.

I am still learning to ride these thermals too, every time I try to keep the lift going it seems like I lose it :P.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old May 30, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Apr 2012
116 Posts
Hello, what is the proper name for the little brass pieces that go between your control wires and the horns? I want to buy a replacement and I can't find the right term for them. Thanks.
Old May 30, 2012, 08:03 PM
Old Retired Guy
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yannc View Post
Completely. My worst landing ever. I should just have gone full power when I saw the plane was not going down and I was going to overshoot.
Yep, going around is sometimes your best bet! You do have a beautiful place to fly there.

May I ask the general location?
Don
dsmack is offline Find More Posts by dsmack
Old May 30, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Apr 2012
116 Posts
are they linkage stoppers?
Old May 30, 2012, 08:51 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid79 View Post
Hello, what is the proper name for the little brass pieces that go between your control wires and the horns? I want to buy a replacement and I can't find the right term for them. Thanks.
Linkage Stopper HK Part No. OR016-00601

That's what I've used.
Make sure the nut holding it doesn't stop the whole thing turning. If it has to be loosened to do that then put Loctite on the thread or a dab of contact adhesive (ADOS F2).

If the linkage stopper doesn't turn as the surface being moved moves, then it will bind and tend to reduce the amount of surface (elevator, rudder) movement you can get.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old May 30, 2012, 11:48 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Well here is the video from this morning, I guess got to be rain cause plane flew like a dream LOL

Rain (5 min 10 sec)