SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:50 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Another one bites the sky (not dust this time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Just got back from my maiden with the Sky Surfer.

Great flyer, just like I remember the first time I flew one.

It was surprisingly a tad tail heavy even with the 3S 2200 all the way at the nose.

I ended up getting those rubber bands on the wing with out a dowel rigged through the fuse. Boy was that a lot of fun.

Add that to my to do list of mods....
Congratulations. Another happy SkyS owner. The maiden flight is certainly one of the major highlights of any plane. Now, you just have to get caught up on the mods you want to use. Oh, I will pass along a saying that is popular on the Easy Star thread that I guess I could start here. "If is isn't on video, it didn't happen". So, we look forward to seeing the video of you flying your SkyS. It should be great. Again, well done on the maiden.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:09 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Bad Servo & Movie

Golly, I hope this is not going to be a frequent thing for all the folks that bought an RTF. I had the servo below go bad after about 60-70 flights with the plane. Nothing unusual happened. I was flying the plane and brought it in for a nice smooth T & G. I took off and very quickly noticed that I did not have any control of the elevator. All I could do is go left and right (rudder or ails) and porpoise through the air because the elevator was stuck in about 20% up elevator which means to me that it must have failed immediately when the wheels left the ground. It was a pretty tense minute or so while I dug up all my old single channel experience from 40 years ago or so and I was able to land the plane while turning fairly tightly to bleed off the poipoising and I landed uneventfully about 3 meters away (Lucky, very lucky). The bird now sits on my workbench with a brand new HXT900 servo in it. It looked just too difficult to use double sided scotch tape (which I don't like for servos anyhow) on the servo because I replaced it without splitting the fuselage. I used a couple of drops of hot glue and I am sure that will hold it in place. Hopefully, I did not use too much in case I need to replace it again in the future sometime. Anyhow, here is the movie.
AJ

Servo testing:

Sky Surfer Bad Servo (0 min 53 sec)
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:51 PM
Joined Nov 2010
10 Posts
6 days from BEVRC

Postman showed up with my beat up sky surfer box this morning! I ordered last Sunday night, Monday morning in China, and got it the following Saturday. That little light weight box took a pounding, you know how they stack that stuff up. Everything made it just fine. Last pic shows the inside of V2 SS. Looks stronger to me just having the thicker inside instead of hollow.

After all the problems I had with my 1st sky surfer, I look forward to having some fun with this one. I took a picture of my old fuse. What I was trying to capture was the tail does not follow the center of the plane. It is "bent" is how I would describe it. (Pic 2) I hope to be able to salvage this as I don't feel it is dead yet. I did strip the parts to put in the BEVRC, but not sure what to do with the motor.

After burning up my brushed ESC and not being able to find a local replacement, simultaneously waiting from BH for the replacement, I had the 2 BL ESC's BH sent me. (Pic 3) My local hobby guy said to use one and just buy a motor. So now I have this E-flite motor and not sure if I should modify and mount it on the new SS or just use the supplied BL motor. I have a pic of the mount I made for the E-flite motor. (Pic 1) I would have to make another from scratch for the new fuse, Gorilla glue holds! This motor is only 1200kv which I didn't even know what it meant, but now see most of you guys use +/- 2000kv and I also had to buy a bigger battery since the brushed SS comes with a 7.4. With the new 11.1 2100mah 20c battery and motor combo, the plane flew great, but was already so damaged it was going in circles.

So to recap

BEVRC 6 days China to California

stock motor? or the E-flite

My other question will have to refer to the pics. I have 2 ESC's from BH. I was using the one that plugged right into my motor (yellow), but the new motor had different plugs and not sure if I should just cut them off and solder everything together since I will need to add length to the ESC and / or motor wires to reach? The ESC without plugs on it has considerably shorter wires. Is there a standard length based on current or something? Voltage loss? Now I have just enough knowledge to get me in trouble.
DCourt is offline Find More Posts by DCourt
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:09 PM
flyvertigo
Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
455 Posts
[QUOTE=ajbaker;16545072]Golly, I hope this is not going to be a frequent thing for all the folks that bought an RTF. I had the servo below go bad after about 60-70 flights with the plane. Nothing unusual happened. I was flying the plane and brought it in for a nice smooth T & G. I took off and very quickly noticed that I did not have any control of the elevator. All I could do is go left and right (rudder or ails) and porpoise through the air because the elevator was stuck in about 20% up elevator which means to me that it must have failed immediately when the wheels left the ground. It was a pretty tense minute or so while I dug up all my old single channel experience from 40 years ago or so and I was able to land the plane while turning fairly tightly to bleed off the poipoising and I landed uneventfully about 3 meters away (Lucky, very lucky). The bird now sits on my workbench with a brand new HXT900 servo in it. It looked just too difficult to use double sided scotch tape (which I don't like for servos anyhow) on the servo because I replaced it without splitting the fuselage. I used a couple of drops of hot glue and I am sure that will hold it in place. Hopefully, I did not use too much in case I need to replace it again in the future sometime. Anyhow, here is the movie.
AJ

AJ,
I'm glad you landed without damage.
I replaced both servos on my ailerons when one of them gave out on me.
I was able to land the plane without damage but it was a little scary getting it down. I have used HXT900 servos on various planes. They fail too.
At some point I will have a plane that is worth using better servos but i don't see that happening anytime soon.

Jim
flyvertigo is offline Find More Posts by flyvertigo
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:41 PM
Joined Sep 2009
184 Posts
DCourt,
I can't tell you how the stock motor pushes the SS, but it really turns a beat up glued up "Wild Hawk" into a fun flyer!!
moon12 is offline Find More Posts by moon12
Last edited by moon12; Nov 13, 2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: add pictures
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:40 PM
United States, IA, Keosauqua
Joined Sep 2010
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Ok. We are just about done. Here is the problem -> Remember how I pointed out that ALL your servos were plugged in backwards? Well, both of your aileron servos are plugged in backwards now. Disconnect the servos at the servo end and turn the plugs around. [See note below first] If not, get that "Y" cable from 2500GENE. That is the only other possibility. Still, though, it almost has to be the servos plugged in backwards because I have never ever seen a bad "Y" cable in the last 30 years (other than the ones that I broke for whatever reason). So, it is hard for me to believe that you are the first person that I have ever heard of that got a bad "Y" cable on a brand new plane. But, it IS possible, for sure. Let me know. If you want a quickee workaround, just reverse the single aileron plug at the receiver end after disconnecting the battery. Then, turn on the transmitter (if it isn't on already) - hook up the battery to the ESC and give it a try. I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one.
AJ
Oops. One other thing just to make sure there is not a short in one of the servos. Please disconnect BOTH aileron servos from the "Y" plug. Now, reverse the plug on just ONE of them and plug IT into the "Y" cable. The other side of the "Y" cable should have nothing plugged into it at this time.
AJ--I will give this a try tomorrow afternoon--been tied up all day on other things and too tired to do anything but fall into bed now. Thanks for your input.

Bob
Bob A is offline Find More Posts by Bob A
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:14 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Another alternative to BH

For those of you that are looking for options, I experimented a bit tonight and found out something totally cool. The Sky Surfer wings fit perfectly in the Wild Hawk fuselage and vice-versa. I haven't tried flying it yet. But, it should be great, if it does all work out. A tail feathers set would be needed to go with the Wild Hawk fuselage because it would be a bit of work to make the tail feathers swap. So, here is the bottom line. If you needed a fuselage from BH, it would be 43.81 total (Harbor Freight) to my doorstep (fuse-23.90, Canopy-5.90, Shipping-14.01). A Wild Hawk Fuselage is 29.82 to my doorstep (fuse-10.69, Canopy-3.14, Tail Feathers set-7.00, Shipping 8.99). So, the savings is $15.89. To me, that is significant. Plus, the delivery time is 2-3 days (not weeks or months). I have gotten to where just the thought of dealing with BH makes me angry. But, maybe that is just me. So, this looks like a super workaround. The only thing is all this is theory right now and I have to put one together just to make sure that it really flies. Or course, we are all very progressive and flexible folks. So, wish me luck and I really, really hope that I can come back with a positive report. What do you guys think of my idea? Is it as crazy as it seems?
Pics below show Wild Hawk with SkyS wings.
AJ

P.S. The whole idea of the above is that if your wings survive multiple crashes and the fuselage just gets too heavy to repair one more time, then, the above is an alternative to get your SkyS fixed quickly.
P.S.S. I am also thinking that the Easy Star Wings will work in the SkyS, too. But, If I use EZ* wings and a WH fuselage & tail feathers, I would have a whole different airplane. LOL. Just wait until I get the bolt in my neck tightened.
Last edited by ajbaker; Nov 14, 2010 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Oops. Forgot to add the pics
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:51 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Been working on your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
AJ--I will give this a try tomorrow afternoon--been tied up all day on other things and too tired to do anything but fall into bed now. Thanks for your input.

Bob
I tried my darndest to put myself in your shoes and what I came up with was based on the logic that you might have used being brand new at this hobby. The manufactures of this plane did not do you any favors. So, here is the result of that logic. You have receiver plugs in correctly and the plugs in the ailerons on backwards. Take a look at the pictures below. I think yours look like backwards.jpg. If so, make them look like correct.jpg.
AJ
Old Nov 14, 2010, 01:02 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,786 Posts
Who sells the wild hawk? How does it compare to the sky surfer?
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Nov 14, 2010, 01:32 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Loaded question.

Quote:
Who sells the wild hawk? How does it compare to the sky surfer?
Wow. I am sure you are not aware of it; but, you asked a loaded question. The first part is easy - Harbor Freight (I know, it is odd, but, they have it). You can get it for as little as $62 on sale and with a 20% discount on anything in the store coupon (comes out about 4-5 times a year).
The second part is a bit tougher. There are going to many, many positive and negative opinions about the comparison between those two planes. So, I am going to give you the IMO - ONLY! answer based on a heck of a lot of flying. So, here goes. The simple answer is the WH is a weak imitation of the SkyS (even though the WH has been around a lot LONGER time). Just take a look at the WH Thread.
Now, a bit longer answer. I have been looking for a clone of the EZ* (Great Airplane!) for a long time now. I started with the WH and it was just Ok. Then, I went to the Clouds Fly. It was better but it flew too differently from the EZ* and it is smaller. Then, I graduated to the Hawk Sky. A nice airplane and similar to the EZ* but it has sever tip stall problems and the sink rate is noticeably greater than the EZ*. Finally, I arrived at the Sky Surfer and to my pleasant surprise, it is BETTER than the EZ* for my flying needs. For me, I cannot see me ever buying another EZ* again. IMO, the Sky Surfer is an improved version of the EZ* in a few places. I keep the EZ* flying and do a video once in a while to post on the EZ* thread so I can keep in touch with the really good guys in that thread. I enjoy their posts a lot. So, there you have it. Again, All of the above is IMO and everybody's flying needs are different. Having said that (again), I am very confident in recommending the SkyS as a direct improved replacement for the EZ*. Whew. I have to go to bed.
AJ
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:08 AM
GoPopp
Ocean Grove, Australia
Joined Oct 2010
12 Posts
7 days from BEVRC

Hi Guys just recieved my SS from BEVRC arrived in perfect condition our postie must have been very gentle since it was only tapped up on factory box.
this is my second SS and secound Rc plane ever, the first one still flies but is looking like its been mangled by a dog.
The motor that came with my new SS has no specs so I emailed BEVRC they suggested a 20 amp ESC or 25 to be safe, so thats what I'll do. and 3s battery. My first SS only had brushed motor so am looking forward to more power. I've read a lot about COG on this discussion and after having it at 105mm changed to 70 as suggested wow! that made it easier to fly, intersting though BEVRC suggested 60mm in their manual. Any thoughts.
Only doing minor mods eg CF to tail stab, wings will have a dowell through them verticaly and a rubber band to hold them together will post some pics when done and let you know how it holds up.
My last stab was ripped off by a plover not so happy that i was in her territory.
Bed time down under
Thanks for the great site
Beers and Cheers
GoPopp is offline Find More Posts by GoPopp
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:31 AM
GoPopp
Ocean Grove, Australia
Joined Oct 2010
12 Posts
Just a simple question not related to SS. How do I save a discusion to My RCGroups?
I told you it is simple but I can't find the save button, must be going blind
Please Helpppp!!!
GoPopp is offline Find More Posts by GoPopp
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:50 AM
Joined Sep 2010
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I tried my darndest to put myself in your shoes and what I came up with was based on the logic that you might have used being brand new at this hobby. The manufactures of this plane did not do you any favors. So, here is the result of that logic. You have receiver plugs in correctly and the plugs in the ailerons on backwards. Take a look at the pictures below. I think yours look like backwards.jpg. If so, make them look like correct.jpg.
AJ
Wow AJ---4098 posts on here and you finally missed one! You're right that i'm likely to do things bassackward, but my logic in this case was to line up brown wires with brown wires in the connectors! Should I still go through the procedure you suggested when I get a chance to mess with it this afternoon?

Bob
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:59 AM
Joined Sep 2010
283 Posts
Quote:
Just got back from my maiden with the Sky Surfer.

Great flyer, just like I remember the first time I flew one.

It was surprisingly a tad tail heavy even with the 3S 2200 all the way at the nose.

I ended up getting those rubber bands on the wing with out a dowel rigged through the fuse. Boy was that a lot of fun.

Add that to my to do list of mods....
Johnny--I wanted to use the rubber bands on wings too with my SS but didn't want to mess up such a pretty plane before it left the ground. What I did was to make a "cradle" out of foam to rest the fuse in with a couple of pegs in the cradle to hook the rubber bands on. You can just rest the fuselage in the cradle before you put the wings on, run the rubber bands thru the wing opening from one peg to the other, then hook the rubber bands onto the wings and remove the cradle.

Clear as mud?

Bob
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:19 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPopp View Post
Just a simple question not related to SS. How do I save a discusion to My RCGroups?
I told you it is simple but I can't find the save button, must be going blind
Please Helpppp!!!
GoPopp,

I don't know of a "save" button but you can subscribe to any thread by either posting in it or you subscribe by clicking on thread tools and "subscribing".

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram