HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2012, 12:29 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
can a heli gyro be use on a rc plane?
Yes, that's the source of most that are used on plane. A simple rate gyro is all you need.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 01:34 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassb View Post
Yes -- or I was thinking of just adjusting the aileron clevis until it flew level with no trim.
Adjusting the clevis might not be enough, what i mean to say is,it is better{IMO}to have the plane flying level with all surfaces flush with everything else, if you use your clevis to achieve level flight, and your ailerons don't rest level oneach wing, your roll rate will be different from right to left.
Hope this is a little more clear than mud.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old May 29, 2012, 02:48 PM
United States, NY, Victor
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
Adjusting the clevis might not be enough, what i mean to say is,it is better{IMO}to have the plane flying level with all surfaces flush with everything else, if you use your clevis to achieve level flight, and your ailerons don't rest level oneach wing, your roll rate will be different from right to left.
Hope this is a little more clear than mud.
Oh, I see what you mean. OK, well then we'll start with everything centered and use the trims then. If the trim doesn't level it, then we'll have to start messing with the clevises.
cassb is offline Find More Posts by cassb
Old May 29, 2012, 04:10 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Oh, I see what you mean. OK, well then we'll start with everything centered and use the trims then. If the trim doesn't level it, then we'll have to start messing with the clevises.
That's a start, but may i suggest, after you have centered every thing ,try a fly, and then make sure you achieve level flight, If your plane still want's to drift during flight, add a little weight to the opposite side of the drifting side,{like i said, a nickel or a quarter}, and thats of course your vertical stab and horizontal stab are not the issue.I can't emphasize enough, keep ailerons level for proper banking/ turning/ roll.If you have to trim to make it stop veering, use a little weight,{unless your talking about a couple clicks, then forget about it, but if your using most of your trim to fly straight, then go with the weight.

their you go,clear as mud.
Old May 29, 2012, 04:45 PM
United States, NY, Victor
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
That's a start, but may i suggest, after you have centered every thing ,try a fly, and then make sure you achieve level flight, If your plane still want's to drift during flight, add a little weight to the opposite side of the drifting side,{like i said, a nickel or a quarter}, and thats of course your vertical stab and horizontal stab are not the issue.I can't emphasize enough, keep ailerons level for proper banking/ turning/ roll.If you have to trim to make it stop veering, use a little weight,{unless your talking about a couple clicks, then forget about it, but if your using most of your trim to fly straight, then go with the weight.

their you go,clear as mud.
OK will do! See, you're not so limited a flier as you thought.
cassb is offline Find More Posts by cassb
Old May 29, 2012, 05:14 PM
Multicopter Crash Tester
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for all the pictures, Amfamora! What was the cost of the plane and all the upgrades, if you don't mind me asking? Is the SkyS/Bixler the plane to put that kind of upgrading into being new to RC planes, or would it be better to 'upgrade' the plane itself once I get more experience with this trainer?

Oh, and what does a 'gyro' do?

Thanks!
Bryan

Bixler/Skysurfer is a great starting plane from everyones accounts. I just decided to build mine from a kit from the get go rather than buy a RTF or ARF version. Very easy to build and upgrade if you dont rush it

I would say dont use ANY of the original parts that come with it, they are cheap and weak, for durability its worth upgrading out of the box. For example went to undo one of the clevis' on the ailerons to make an adjustment... one of the plastic arms snapped right off..... first time undoing it.. wasnt fatigued.

All up cost for mine would have probably been just over $120 with the most single expensive thing being the CF rods.
Amfamora is offline Find More Posts by Amfamora
Old May 29, 2012, 05:30 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,074 Posts
Another new Bixler in the sky last night. The lad up the road had seen mine and so got one too. Sounds like his father is going to get one too - crowded skies? As far as gear on the ARFs - stock plus 30 A ESCs and 2200 mAh batteries and 6x4 props. Nothing wrong with the servos that freeing up of the surfaces won't fix. Actually a very important thing to do - freeing hinges. Actually spend a couple of dollars on a packet of pinned nylon hinges.

I've painted the wing tips under side with orange - really stands out, especially in the low light of evening. The C-130s that go down to the Antarctic from here have orange on parts of them (rudder, wing etc.).

Wing spars - how many months of high G flying does it take to break one? Wings are held on with 3M hooks with a wire over them and rubber band to retain it.

While I was rolling and looping the lad was carefully flying circles. Yes he's flown a UM SU-27 and Cub for a while so not "new" to RC.

Tonight he'll probably get a bit more adventurous and have Velcroed his spare battery ready for use for more flight time.

Chasing birds - had a flock of Canada geese thinking I was leader a few days ago until I started a bit of vigorous flying. They are a nuisance on the farm paddocks so chasing them is encouraged.

BTW we flair on landing but flares might be good to use with the geese.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old May 29, 2012, 08:00 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfamora View Post
Bixler/Skysurfer is a great starting plane from everyones accounts. I just decided to build mine from a kit from the get go rather than buy a RTF or ARF version. Very easy to build and upgrade if you dont rush it

I would say dont use ANY of the original parts that come with it, they are cheap and weak, for durability its worth upgrading out of the box. For example went to undo one of the clevis' on the ailerons to make an adjustment... one of the plastic arms snapped right off..... first time undoing it.. wasnt fatigued.

All up cost for mine would have probably been just over $120 with the most single expensive thing being the CF rods.
For a person just starting out in the hobby, the RTF , is {and i am sure a lot of the people that keep up with thread will agree} is the way to go.
If a person decides that this isn't for him/her, then that's that, but if they get into it, one can upgrade any time THEY choose.

By the way, Irun EVERY thing stock except for the prop and battery,NOT one problem since{axcept for pilot error}.

Be careful on advice you give to begginers.{You were one too, you know}
Last edited by Limited flyer; May 29, 2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 09:23 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Hey guys I have a question about motor position on the Sky surfer.
The pod is made so motor sits to the right inside.(if you look from the tail).
Does it need it be that way? EZ has motor lined up with the fuse and it flies great.
Any ideas?
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old May 29, 2012, 09:27 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Hey guys I have a question about motor position on the Sky surfer.
The pod is made so motor sits to the right inside.(if you look from the tail).
Does it need it be that way? EZ has motor lined up with the fuse and it flies great.
Any ideas?
No offset required. Both of my Skysurfers have the motor on fuselage centerline and they fly fine. I suspect a warped wing is causing people to counter the flying problems associated with such problems by putting in a some side thrust.

Straight on center is my recommendation.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2012, 11:34 PM
Joined Apr 2012
116 Posts
Mine came with the motor slightly offset. From the factory that way. Flew like a dream.... No trimming required with controls at dead center...
elcid79 is offline Find More Posts by elcid79
Old May 30, 2012, 01:21 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
No offset required. Both of my Skysurfers have the motor on fuselage centerline and they fly fine. I suspect a warped wing is causing people to counter the flying problems associated with such problems by putting in a some side thrust.

Straight on center is my recommendation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid79 View Post
Mine came with the motor slightly offset. From the factory that way. Flew like a dream.... No trimming required with controls at dead center...
+1. Straight ahead.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 30, 2012, 01:25 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Gyro is more than a sandwich.

Quote:
can a heli gyro be use on a rc plane?
Well, yes and no. It is important that you know which kind of gyro you plan to use from the helicopter. Basically, there are two types of gyros. A heading hold gyro and a rate gyro. I won't bother with all the techno-babble. The short answer is that you want to make sure that what you are going to use is a "rate" gyro (as Prof100 said). I hope this gives you just a bit more info on gyros. If/when you get one, post what you bought here and we will chat a bit more about how to use it and the differences between the two types of gyros. Keep us posted in any event.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 30, 2012, 03:43 AM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
721 Posts
thx prof & AJ for the gyros infos....I have three heli gyros...GY520/spartan (used)/GP780 and 3 helis....1 active/1 upgrading/1 still in the box.....so no worries here, Im already familiar with the HH and Rate mode. Maybe, I just opt for cheap but decent gyro out there....

1. Any recos guys?....and

2. What (the most) control surfaces (ail/rud/ele) that u guys put a gyro to?
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old May 30, 2012, 07:16 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,570 Posts
Quote:
thx prof & AJ for the gyros infos....I have three heli gyros...GY520/spartan (used)/GP780 and 3 helis....1 active/1 upgrading/1 still in the box.....so no worries here, Im already familiar with the HH and Rate mode. Maybe, I just opt for cheap but decent gyro out there....

1. Any recos guys?....and

2. What (the most) control surfaces (ail/rud/ele) that u guys put a gyro to?
Go to my blog and scroll down to a gyro post. There are links to the most cost effective and video links to Melnic's outstanding work on airplane gyro applications.
RCG Plus Member