HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2012, 08:10 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Well I figured it was the jersey shore since I lived up there for 35 years. I just couldn't place that large bay area with no waves.

If it has a big dent then it really can be crabbing and hard to trim. Maybe retirement is in the cards for that one.
You don't notice crabbing when your doing anything other then a strait line flight.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 08:59 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Well I figured it was the jersey shore since I lived up there for 35 years. I just couldn't place that large bay area with no waves.

If it has a big dent then it really can be crabbing and hard to trim. Maybe retirement is in the cards for that one.
LOL,
Yeah actually it is a bay area,and stinky one too LOL but at this time this is one of the least crowded space I am willing to drive to LOL.
Too bad that at the eve its fly's heaven. As for the Sky Surfer I may just scrap this one, tried boiling abut fuse it out of whack so time for new hopefully better built. It had really short life. On maiden I had someone (experienced) to throw it straight to the ground and trouble followed LOL.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Disco gimbal
Old May 28, 2012, 09:03 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
Hey the Jersey Shore! I am originally from Seaside :P
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: (B)ixler-28 Maiden
Old May 28, 2012, 09:06 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,701 Posts
LOL,
I wish I could leave this state behind me LOL.
but Im stuck ((
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Disco gimbal
Old May 28, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
LOL,
I wish I could leave this state behind me LOL.
but Im stuck ((
Why I went to Cali, amongst other reasons.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2012, 10:09 PM
United States, NY, Victor
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
If you have not done this yet, remove the useless nose weights, beef up your spar,{lots of ways to do that on page 1} and start using a 2200 mah bat,{better penetration}. Personally, i don't think it is necessary to glue the spar right in the wing, but also on page 1 there is a lot of ways to make your wings stay in the wing root.
Something to remember when teaching yourself to fly,GET UP TO ALTITUDE,then start moving the sticks around,but keep in mind that the raideo is not a game controller, keep the movements gentle untill you figure out the sensitivity of them.
Sounded like you and your father had a blast though.

I am by no means an expert, but i hope this helps.
Yup! It was fun for sure just watching the plane fly. I did beef it up a bit today -- the wing CF rod was cracked in the middle, so I bought a 3mm rod and epoxied it inside the stock 6mm one - the wings are WAY more stable now. I already did remove the nose washers and have a 2200 mAh battery as well. Also, when I got the 3mm rod today, I also picked up a couple 2mm solid rods and epoxied one into the channel on the bottom of the fuselage to strengthen the tail section when I land nose-first.

I'm still figuring out a way to hold the wings together, although some packing tape wrapped around the spar is doing the job for now.

I have a friend who used to fly nitro planes back in the 70s, so he is helping me get oriented. I think I reignited his passion too, since he's now thinking of getting back into the hobby again.

By the way, some other responders said the trim is difficult with this plane, and I have to agree. We are having a hard time just getting it to fly straight and level. I do balance the CG at 60mm from the leading edge, and the ailerons appear to be even. But it still banks left -- the foam must be bent or something.

Anyway -- thanks for all the help!
cassb is offline Find More Posts by cassb
Old May 28, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
Not sure about all of the trim complaints lately... check your CG balance not just for and aft, but from side to side as well, yes a bend in any structure of the plane could result in odd flying characteristics, but I think it would have to be pretty bad, my nose is slightly crooked to the left and it creates no ill effects... As a noob this one is tougher but also check your thrust angle on the motor because that is a likely cause for left or right roll.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2012, 12:11 AM
Multicopter Crash Tester
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
Just finished my build..... Thought I would share some piccies of what I did with my Bixler kit.... Wanted to keep as much as possible inside the fuselage for a clean look.

Setup is:

RCTIMER 2826 2200kv motor
APC 6x4E Prop
Turnigy 30C 3 Cell 2200mah batteries
50amp Hobbyking ESC
6v UBEC 5A peak
Turnigy TG9e 9gm Servos
Hobbyking 401B Gyro
Spektrum AR600 Receiver

On a storage charged Lipo for testing things out saw 280 Watts @ 28 Amps on the Wattmeter

RC Timer 2826 2200kv The standard upgrade with 6x4E APC Prop

Upgraded all the control horns to Dubro Nylon versions....

Did all the usual CF reinforcing.... Elevator, Wings and inside the fuselage... 3mm CF Rod on the Elevator, 6mm Rod everywhere else.

Hobbyking Gyro for the Ailerons.... Another piece of foam running vertical reinforced with toothpicks and epoxy. Velcro mounted Gyro

Aileron setup.....

Hopefully should go alright, yet to maiden it..... And dammit missing a canopy magnet in the kit
Amfamora is online now Find More Posts by Amfamora
Last edited by Amfamora; May 29, 2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old May 29, 2012, 01:17 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,097 Posts
Amfamora -

For the gyro to work on the ailerons it needs to be laying flat in (parallel to) the fuselage and rotated 90 degrees from where you have it!
Or is that one infact operating the ailerons correctly when you rock the wings?

(With magnets, order a bunch of them, I actually use them to hold the wings on, on my Bixler!)

-B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old May 29, 2012, 01:36 AM
Multicopter Crash Tester
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
It works in that orientation Laying it horizontal you'd be good for a rudder Gyro.......
Amfamora is online now Find More Posts by Amfamora
Last edited by Amfamora; May 29, 2012 at 05:21 AM.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:59 AM
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Thank you for all the pictures, Amfamora! What was the cost of the plane and all the upgrades, if you don't mind me asking? Is the SkyS/Bixler the plane to put that kind of upgrading into being new to RC planes, or would it be better to 'upgrade' the plane itself once I get more experience with this trainer?

Oh, and what does a 'gyro' do?

Thanks!
Bryan
Old May 29, 2012, 08:46 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassb View Post

Oh, and what does a 'gyro' do?

Thanks!
Bryan
A gyro is a device to provide added stability on windy days. In this case it looks like there is only one gyro on the plane -- an aileron gyro to control roll of the plane. The bottom line benefit is more days to fly. The gyro can make compensating movements of the servo far quicker than the pilot.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; May 29, 2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:18 AM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
A gyro is a device provide added stability on windy days. In this case it looks like there is only one gyro on the plane -- an aileron gyro to control roll of the plane. The bottom line benefit is more days to fly. The gyro can make compensating movements of the servo far quicker than the pilot.
can a heli gyro be use on a rc plane?
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old May 29, 2012, 10:50 AM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassb View Post
Yup! It was fun for sure just watching the plane fly. I did beef it up a bit today -- the wing CF rod was cracked in the middle, so I bought a 3mm rod and epoxied it inside the stock 6mm one - the wings are WAY more stable now. I already did remove the nose washers and have a 2200 mAh battery as well. Also, when I got the 3mm rod today, I also picked up a couple 2mm solid rods and epoxied one into the channel on the bottom of the fuselage to strengthen the tail section when I land nose-first.

I'm still figuring out a way to hold the wings together, although some packing tape wrapped around the spar is doing the job for now.

I have a friend who used to fly nitro planes back in the 70s, so he is helping me get oriented. I think I reignited his passion too, since he's now thinking of getting back into the hobby again.

By the way, some other responders said the trim is difficult with this plane, and I have to agree. We are having a hard time just getting it to fly straight and level. I do balance the CG at 60mm from the leading edge, and the ailerons appear to be even. But it still banks left -- the foam must be bent or something.

Anyway -- thanks for all the help!
The drifting left thing could be caused by a few things such as, left wing could weigh more than the right, vertical stab may be out of line, or your horizontal sta might have a slight warp.
May i suggest giving every thing a close eyeball and try taping somthing flat on the right wing, like a nickel or quarter.
Hope this helps.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old May 29, 2012, 11:00 AM
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
The drifting left thing could be caused by a few things such as, left wing could weigh more than the right, vertical stab may be out of line, or your horizontal sta might have a slight warp.
May i suggest giving every thing a close eyeball and try taping somthing flat on the right wing, like a nickel or quarter.
Hope this helps.
Yes -- or I was thinking of just adjusting the aileron clevis until it flew level with no trim.