HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined May 2011
56 Posts
I have read that 2200 mah is a good size battery for this plane but can I go bigger than that and if I can How much? I don't do fpv so there is no equipment on the plane.
mozzartusm is offline Find More Posts by mozzartusm
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2012, 09:37 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzartusm View Post
I have read that 2200 mah is a good size battery for this plane but can I go bigger than that and if I can How much? I don't do fpv so there is no equipment on the plane.
It's a matter of weight and size, my 2700mah zippy compact is very skinny, though wider and longer then a normal 2700mah battery. It's total weight is 250 grams, considering I have a lot of extra weight with FPV equipment a stock bix could probably carry 2x2700mah without much problem, any more then that is going to have size issues with fitting it in and CG issues.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old May 20, 2012, 10:06 PM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
Clipped Wing Bixler on 4S

Trying out my 28mm inrunner on 4S. I think I got a bit carried away on the full throttle runs. It was sooo much fun - while it lasted.

I'll be replacing the motor with a power up 400 zoom 2200 kv outrunner -
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...00-Zoom/Detail

Clipped Wing Bixler on 4S (1 min 28 sec)
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Old May 20, 2012, 10:09 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Jim View Post
Guys:

I have attached one of those voltage detector/alarms from HK to my Sky Surfer, that beeps whenever the average voltage of each cell drops below 3.4v (actually 3.4 x 3 = 10.2v).
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Detector_.html
according to the spec sheet:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...7X151250X0.jpg

Unfortunately the ESC on my SS seems to be cutting off the motor before this alarm is activated.

Thus I need to set the ESC cutoff for a lower voltage, but I have never found any instructions for programming the stock ESC. I wrote Tim at ReadyMadeRC for this information, but since he has not yet gotten back to me, I assume retrieving this information is taking some time.

Does anyone on this thread have programming instructions for the SS stock ESC?

Thanks.

VJ
I am curious also about programming instructions for my SS ESC. I have a Version 2. I would presume they do not supply the same ESC across the versions so each may be different.

AJ

Any idea how to find out about programming the stock ESC?
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old May 21, 2012, 02:45 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,877 Posts
Jim, before you change the ESC setting you might want to think about a couple of things.

1) Is your HK cell alarm accurate? Worth checking with a decent voltmeter as many of the cheap ones aren't.
2) 3.4 Volts/cell under load is low for modern LiPos. Particularly if you are drawing modest currents from the battery, it wil be almost exhausted by the time it reaches that voltage under load. Maybe the ESC is being sensible and turning off the motor with a decent reserve.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Jim View Post
Guys:

I have attached one of those voltage detector/alarms from HK to my Sky Surfer, that beeps whenever the average voltage of each cell drops below 3.4v (actually 3.4 x 3 = 10.2v).
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Detector_.html
according to the spec sheet:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...7X151250X0.jpg

Unfortunately the ESC on my SS seems to be cutting off the motor before this alarm is activated.

Thus I need to set the ESC cutoff for a lower voltage, but I have never found any instructions for programming the stock ESC. I wrote Tim at ReadyMadeRC for this information, but since he has not yet gotten back to me, I assume retrieving this information is taking some time.

Does anyone on this thread have programming instructions for the SS stock ESC?

Thanks.

VJ
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old May 21, 2012, 03:40 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
I am curious also about programming instructions for my SS ESC. I have a Version 2. I would presume they do not supply the same ESC across the versions so each may be different.

AJ

Any idea how to find out about programming the stock ESC?
Nope. No idea at all. I know that the Turnigy programming card does NOT work.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; May 21, 2012 at 04:14 AM.
Old May 21, 2012, 05:31 AM
Joined Mar 2012
147 Posts
small

Hi guys,

I want to glue the small part cnc motor mount for my bixler. http://smallpartscnc.com/index.php?r...&product_id=50

I want to glue it ( only to one half of the fuselage ) with CA + activator. Am I doing it right? Do you guys think it is better to do it wit a polyurethane glue instead? It can't be gorilla glue because I am not from EEUU but I can buy another brand here in my country.

Thanks guys!
asaak is offline Find More Posts by asaak
Old May 21, 2012, 05:34 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
I would use 20min epoxy. That way you can make sure it is positioned right too.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2012, 07:48 AM
Joined Mar 2012
147 Posts
why is it then that I read somewhere that epoxy won't be an option for bixler? is it going to melt the foam?
asaak is offline Find More Posts by asaak
Old May 21, 2012, 08:50 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
gatorlynch,
I'll be replacing the motor with a power up 400 zoom 2200 kv outrunner.

That motor's not rated 4s. You gonna chance another one?
Or do you know someone's running it 4s?
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old May 21, 2012, 09:20 AM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
That motor's not rated 4s. You gonna chance another one?
No, I'm going to run it on 3S. The previous owner had this motor in it, and the higher kv (2200 vs my inrunner @ 2000) should provide enough of a speed bump to keep me happy.

I learned my lesson - my left thumb has very poor impulse control. BAD THUMB!!!

Thanks for the heads up (no pun intended), though.
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Old May 21, 2012, 10:33 AM
Joined Mar 2011
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaak View Post
Hi guys,

I want to glue the small part cnc motor mount for my bixler. http://smallpartscnc.com/index.php?r...&product_id=50

I want to glue it ( only to one half of the fuselage ) with CA + activator. Am I doing it right? Do you guys think it is better to do it wit a polyurethane glue instead? It can't be gorilla glue because I am not from EEUU but I can buy another brand here in my country.

Thanks guys!
Well, I tried Gorilla Glue, CA, and hot glue after 2 flights or so, with my BC-3536-5, the glue as loose again, so my salvation was 15 minutes epoxy.

All the best,

Geotete
geotete is offline Find More Posts by geotete
Old May 21, 2012, 10:56 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Nope. No idea at all. I know that the Turnigy programming card does NOT work.
AJ
Thanks. At least you saved me a few steps since I own one of them.

I have never purchased an ESC before that did not come with a plane. Do the manufacturers provide info as to which card could be used with the ESC being purchased?
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old May 21, 2012, 11:18 AM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Thanks. At least you saved me a few steps since I own one of them.

I have never purchased an ESC before that did not come with a plane. Do the manufacturers provide info as to which card could be used with the ESC being purchased?
Sometimes, yes. But they almost always come with printed instructions for stick programming. Or where to find a PDF online. Or not. LOL. Sometimes you have to go looking...
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old May 21, 2012, 01:10 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
Sometimes, yes. But they almost always come with printed instructions for stick programming. Or where to find a PDF online. Or not. LOL. Sometimes you have to go looking...
+1. I could not have said it better. Well done.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker