HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 17, 2012, 06:39 PM
Registered User
harfordhawk's Avatar
United States, MD, Bel Air
Joined Oct 2010
177 Posts
First hand view of wing spar breaking

Well.. ya know.. I don't always get to doing the mods that I should do.. and I can tell you first hand, reinforce the cheap flimsy spar!
Here is a video of the spar breaking in a dive.. sure I was diving hard, cause I had a battery failure, or something, my battery went from 10.8 to 8.8 in like 20 seconds..
But anyway, I was interested in getting it back to earth and out of the wind with no power.. the spar broke in the dive...
(by the way.. you can't actually see the spar break in this video as this is from a cam on the nose of bixler)

but makes for good video...

Needless to say, some glue, some hot water, some tape and I am back in business.
flyoverFMS_crash.wmv (1 min 37 sec)
harfordhawk is online now Find More Posts by harfordhawk
Last edited by harfordhawk; May 17, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 07:20 PM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harfordhawk View Post
Well.. ya know.. I don't always get to doing the mods that I should do.. and I can tell you first hand, reinforce the cheap flimsy spar!
Here is a video of the spar breaking in a dive.. sure I was diving hard, cause I had a battery failure, or something, my battery went from 10.8 to 8.8 in like 20 seconds..
But anyway, I was interested in getting it back to earth and out of the wind with no power.. the spar broke in the dive...

but makes for good video...

Needless to say, some glue, some hot water, some tape and I am back in business.
http://youtu.be/IhbeVwPzpsw
Some people (like me) glued a 4mm carbon spar inside the 6mm that came with my Skysurfer.

Check out page #1 of this thread. AJ has collected a number of mods and the spar upgrade is there.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 07:26 PM
'tis nothing
shunyata's Avatar
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
I'm confused. I didn't see anything break. Did anyone else see a spar failure in this video?
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 07:31 PM
Registered User
harfordhawk's Avatar
United States, MD, Bel Air
Joined Oct 2010
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
I'm confused. I didn't see anything break. Did anyone else see a spar failure in this video?
Well I guess you can't see it break... but you can see the shadow of the "swept back wings as it kisses the earth..
harfordhawk is online now Find More Posts by harfordhawk
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 07:32 PM
Registered User
harfordhawk's Avatar
United States, MD, Bel Air
Joined Oct 2010
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Some people (like me) glued a 4mm carbon spar inside the 6mm that came with my Skysurfer.

Check out page #1 of this thread. AJ has collected a number of mods and the spar upgrade is there.
Yes I went to Home Depot and bought a fiberglass rod.. 8mm.. reamed out the hole and put that in.. I don't think its gonna break again..
harfordhawk is online now Find More Posts by harfordhawk
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 08:04 PM
Limited flyer
Limited flyer's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harfordhawk View Post
Well.. ya know.. I don't always get to doing the mods that I should do.. and I can tell you first hand, reinforce the cheap flimsy spar!
Here is a video of the spar breaking in a dive.. sure I was diving hard, cause I had a battery failure, or something, my battery went from 10.8 to 8.8 in like 20 seconds..
But anyway, I was interested in getting it back to earth and out of the wind with no power.. the spar broke in the dive...
(by the way.. you can't actually see the spar break in this video as this is from a cam on the nose of bixler)

but makes for good video...

Needless to say, some glue, some hot water, some tape and I am back in business.
http://youtu.be/IhbeVwPzpsw
I know that this thread is so bloddy big it is ridiculous,but, for somebody that has read this thread at least 1/4 worth, you would have beefed up your spar even before the the first flight, just sayin.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 08:05 PM
Registered User
CPMBOY's Avatar
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
721 Posts
I reinforce mine wt a 4mm cf tube and 2mm solid cf rod...feel a bit heavy and tough
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 08:17 PM
Limited flyer
Limited flyer's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
I reinforce mine wt a 4mm cf tube and 2mm solid cf rod...feel a bit heavy and tough
Not to worry, one could even bore out the spar hole to accept an 8mm hollow tube,6mm inide the 8, and a 4mm inside the six,the only thing that's gonna break that is a high velocity crash
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 08:17 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
NorCalMatCat's Avatar
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
I know that this thread is so bloddy big it is ridiculous,but, for somebody that has read this thread at least 1/4 worth, you would have beefed up your spar even before the the first flight, just sayin.
From many months of watching this thread I can see many patterns of many subjects that repeat themselves many times over :P
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 08:19 PM
Limited flyer
Limited flyer's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Yup.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 08:20 PM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
I'm confused. I didn't see anything break. Did anyone else see a spar failure in this video?
You can see it AFTER it is broken at the last 1/2 sec. of the video. Look for the shadow. It is quick though.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 08:22 PM
Limited flyer
Limited flyer's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
1/2 second,VERY good eye.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 08:29 PM
Limited flyer
Limited flyer's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
You can see it AFTER it is broken at the last 1/2 sec. of the video. Look for the shadow. It is quick though.
AJ
Had to watch it twice.saw it.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 08:35 PM
'tis nothing
shunyata's Avatar
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
You can see it AFTER it is broken at the last 1/2 sec. of the video. Look for the shadow. It is quick though.
AJ
I know, just giving him a hard time. All I saw was the result of pilot error.

But he did admit to it, soooo, it's cool. lol

There's nothing wrong with the stock spar unless it's abused.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 09:59 PM
Registered User
harfordhawk's Avatar
United States, MD, Bel Air
Joined Oct 2010
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
I know, just giving him a hard time. All I saw was the result of pilot error.

But he did admit to it, soooo, it's cool. lol

There's nothing wrong with the stock spar unless it's abused.
I only put it up for entertainment value... people .. relax... I know I should have .. could have.. didn't... I just thought people might enjoy it.. Maybe I was wrong..
harfordhawk is online now Find More Posts by harfordhawk
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Cyber Sky Parachute (Sky Surfer) shv2sail Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 May 28, 2013 02:14 AM
Discussion Sky Surfer nickwayne11c Electric Plane Talk 15 Nov 18, 2011 02:36 PM
Discussion Banana Hobby Sky Surfer Problems cavy92 Electric Plane Talk 56 Nov 02, 2010 02:49 AM
Question Sky Surfer LiPo mod, help... Freight Dog Power Systems 0 Aug 17, 2006 01:45 PM
Swashplate Assembly with Center Ball; is this the swash with ball mod i want? tekforce Micro Helis 4 Feb 08, 2004 05:28 PM