HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2012, 01:31 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzartusm View Post
My wingspar broke on the first flight. Now I'm using a carbon arrow.

So we have one wing spar break. I think someone else got in 5 flights before breaking. Sounds like faulty before fitting. Two out of 100? Out of 1000?

Did your servos fail? Or did you replace them before trying them?

Any more actual failures anyone?
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2012, 01:34 AM View Post
ecovato
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Cross-posting. Show it to me anyway.
Old May 16, 2012, 01:47 AM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
So we have one wing spar break. I think someone else got in 5 flights before breaking. Sounds like faulty before fitting. Two out of 100? Out of 1000?

On my 3rd or 4th flight I landed kind of hard on the nose which might have weakened the spar. By no means was it a hard enough hit to warrant any concern for a broken spar. I re-launched and noticed that the wings were rather 'floppy.' Upon inspection I found the spar had broke where the wings joined. It was easily fixed with a carbon arrow shaft and some added carbon reinforcing throughout the wings. No problems since.
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old May 16, 2012, 02:16 AM
Joined May 2011
56 Posts
Quote:

Wingspar broke during flight, 2 servos have stripped gears within 6 or 7 flights. You may be correct about stiff control surfaces being part of that problem. Two horns broke and the plastic peace that snaps onto the horn broke on one wing the first time I tried to adjust the throw.
mozzartusm is offline Find More Posts by mozzartusm
Old May 16, 2012, 02:23 AM
Joined May 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid79 View Post
MY CG is a dash to far forward. I am running a 2200 mah battery, I looked for those washers everyone says are inside, but I cant find anything. I moved the ESC and receiver as far back in the fuse as I can reach. Finally I just taped a quarter to the tail skid. That leveled it out for me. Any other Ideas.
I've heard of Someone else getting one that didn't have washers. You could try running a magnet over the front to see if maybe it would locate them.
Old May 16, 2012, 02:29 AM
Joined May 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Short answer - Yes.
Long answer - It helps you get the airframe setup correctly. Once you are about 4-5 mistakes high (around 200 ft.), shut off the motor, set the plane in about a 30-40 degree dive. Then, release all sticks and see how (if the plane recovers). Once it dives (and subsequently) glides correctly, we can start on the power setup. If we start moving the motor around, we can never be sure if the airplane is flying properly.
AJ
When I let off the throttle my right wing is still tipping down.
Old May 16, 2012, 03:16 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
Do your self a favour, and avoid some headache,get the rtf like some others have suggested, do that, and start learning all about the other stuff later,you never know, you might decide that this isn't for you, but on the other hand, if you dig it, you can still learn and fly at the same time.

Hope this was helpful.
+1. Well said.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 16, 2012, 03:21 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
When I let off the throttle my right wing is still tipping down.
Have you done a static lateral balance yet? If it is in balance on the bench, then it almost has to be a warped wing (usually). In rare cases, a problem with the vertical stab or horizontal stab can cause that. (but, again, rare).
This is during the Dive/Glide test?
AJ
Old May 16, 2012, 03:33 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid79 View Post
MY CG is a dash to far forward. I am running a 2200 mah battery, I looked for those washers everyone says are inside, but I cant find anything. I moved the ESC and receiver as far back in the fuse as I can reach. Finally I just taped a quarter to the tail skid. That leveled it out for me. Any other Ideas.
Sometimes, (i.e. on V3 RTF), there is a sizable ball bearing in a small pocket in the front of the fuselage. Hold the front of the fuselage up to a bright light and see if you spot the shadow of it.
AJ
Old May 16, 2012, 06:19 AM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
594 Posts
By my opinion it is better to create it yourself even without removing a battery. Just use this connector and connect it with servo cable. Then connect it directly without need of removing battery.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180738615091...84.m1497.l2649

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecovato View Post
The 808 #16 is an awesome little camera, but I further recommend adapting the 808 #16 camera to run off of your receiver's 5VDC. Then you can remove the battery all together making it the plane lighter and ensuring that the recording lasts the entire flight. I did it on my plane and it works great. I got the adapter cable on ebay by searching "808 #16 receiver" -- got mine from this person: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150815324522...#ht_1034wt_148
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
Old May 16, 2012, 07:09 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,120 Posts
Quote:
Wingspar broke during flight, 2 servos have stripped gears within 6 or 7 flights. You may be correct about stiff control surfaces being part of that problem. Two horns broke and the plastic peace that snaps onto the horn broke on one wing the first time I tried to adjust the throw.

Have you freed up the hinges since then? Has that made a difference to performance or is that still a problem? Maybe dipping wing because servos aren't centering if the hinges haven't been freed?

My aileron throws are as they came (outer holes) and don't seem to need changing. I suppose I should to see just what difference it would make but rolls are as fast as I expect from the design.

The weights - mine had 4 large washers, ~68 grm from memory. Hotglued in, hot water for removal.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old May 16, 2012, 08:41 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavn View Post
By my opinion it is better to create it yourself even without removing a battery. Just use this connector and connect it with servo cable. Then connect it directly without need of removing battery.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180738615091...84.m1497.l2649
Both of those options look interesting.

Are there any issues with either over charging the camera battery or draining the Lipo. I would hate to lose control of my plane due to the camera.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old May 16, 2012, 10:20 AM
Joined May 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Have you done a static lateral balance yet? If it is in balance on the bench, then it almost has to be a warped wing (usually). In rare cases, a problem with the vertical stab or horizontal stab can cause that. (but, again, rare).
This is during the Dive/Glide test?
AJ
My tailfeathers have been an issue from day one . The notch on the rear of the fuse was miscut when I received it. I thought I had that adjusted but after measuring, it looks like the rightside of the horizontal fin is slightly higher in relation to the vertical fin than the left side.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined May 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Have you freed up the hinges since then? Has that made a difference to performance or is that still a problem? Maybe dipping wing because servos aren't centering if the hinges haven't been freed?

My aileron throws are as they came (outer holes) and don't seem to need changing. I suppose I should to see just what difference it would make but rolls are as fast as I expect from the design.

The weights - mine had 4 large washers, ~68 grm from memory. Hotglued in, hot water for removal.

Yea the hinges have been freed up.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Apr 2012
116 Posts
Quote:
Sometimes, (i.e. on V3 RTF), there is a sizable ball bearing in a small pocket in the front of the fuselage. Hold the front of the fuselage up to a bright light and see if you spot the shadow of it.
AJ
Thats what I was looking for! I found it. I wound up cutting off a tip of the nose to get at it. I didn't want to have to do that, but C'est la vie. It was rather tough to find. I took a T-Pin and inserted it several times, then took a knife and just cut off the end of the nose to find it. what a nuissance.
elcid79 is offline Find More Posts by elcid79