HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2012, 05:18 PM
United States, NY, Victor
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
RCTimer 2212/6 2200KV Motor, 6x4 prop, 4 hxt900 servos, 30a ESC (Either with sBEC or get a sBEC).
Sorry, but I'm new. Can you translate that to English please? lol

That looks like some motor, a propeller, the 4 servos, and something called ESC which I think is like the escape pod like in Star Wars? What's sBEC?

Also, I don't think there's a radio in the list... which radio would be good to grow into but not cost a fortune? I think just 4ch would be enough for a while?

Thanks!
cassb is offline Find More Posts by cassb
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2012, 05:47 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
ESC (Electonic Speed Controller) Is what takes the power from the battery and operates the motor. ESC's generally have a Linear or Switching BEC built in (This is the power rail that powers the reciever and servos at 5v), however built in linear BEC's produce heat, so it is prefered to either have a switching BEC built into the ESC or an external switching BEC which provides 5v for your receiver which in turn powers the servos.

As far as radio goes, I would get a minium of a 6 channel so you have room to grow on. Usually when you buy a radio it will come with 1 receiver (or RX), but not always, if you get a radio that does not come with an RX you will need to get a compatible one.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old May 15, 2012, 05:52 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassb View Post

That looks like some motor, a propeller, the 4 servos, and something called ESC which I think is like the escape pod like in Star Wars? What's sBEC?

Also, I don't think there's a radio in the list... which radio would be good to grow into but not cost a fortune? I think just 4ch would be enough for a while?

Thanks!
So when I was first getting my feet wet with upgraded setups I'm pretty sure I felt the same way you do right now....most of it looked like a bunch of letters and numbers followed by 'motor' or 'servo.' Google proved to be a fantastic tool for this. I just copy and pasted each component and just saw what it pulled up. There is also a TON of info on here, also throughout the rest of the net. There are alot of guys on here who have built SOLID sky surfers, take note to how they set up their gear and what they used, most of them have a build log. Good luck!
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old May 15, 2012, 07:02 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
Hmmmm, did not think about the throttle calibration... Thank you. I can't test either the SS or the Bixler, but I can do a test with the Wildcat. All things being equal with just a swap of the ESC. Is that valid?

FWIW, I'm using a Watt's Up. But, if my testing was bogus, it doesn't matter. See if I can pin this down during the week.

Hope I've not been spreading nonsense on this.
Not at all. You're spreading your experiences. That's always a good thing.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old May 15, 2012, 07:32 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
Read all of Page #1 - several times if necessary and use google to find out what each of the terms mean. Then, come back here and get at least 10-20 explanations that will further confuse you. At the rate you are going, you certainly will have made a decision in 2019.
OR........... Buy the RTF (with brushless upgrade already installed) and forget about all the technobabble and just go flying.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 15, 2012, 08:05 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
OK, I'm all ears if you have suggestions for what to include with just the airframe kit.
My vote is for PNP and use your own radio. You're going to end up being hooked on this hobby, so why not just do it right? lol The RTF radio gear will just end up sitting in the closet.

The stock bits in the PNP are fine. Just need a 6x4E prop and you're good to go. Oh yeah, you will still have to glue the tail parts on, and decals if you want them. Much less hassle than a kit and gathering up all the parts you'll need.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old May 15, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined May 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
I'm in Victor, NY. I sent an email to Tim at http://www.readymaderc.com to ask about what he has available for/with the Sky Surfer. I'm thinking maybe a kit would be better than RTF if I want to get some better quality components?

Thanks!
TIM is a great guy and will stand behind his product. My experience is limited but I can tell you that the stock servos are crap and the plastic control horns won't last so I think the kit and buy some better servos and horns is the way to go. The motor is Actually powerful enough so maybe look at the PNP version.
mozzartusm is offline Find More Posts by mozzartusm
Old May 15, 2012, 09:38 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
Do your self a favour, and avoid some headache,get the rtf like some others have suggested, do that, and start learning all about the other stuff later,you never know, you might decide that this isn't for you, but on the other hand, if you dig it, you can still learn and fly at the same time.

Hope this was helpful.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old May 15, 2012, 09:50 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzartusm View Post
My experience is limited but I can tell you that the stock servos are crap and the plastic control horns won't last so I think the kit and buy some better servos and horns is the way to go. The motor is Actually powerful enough so maybe look at the PNP version.

On the other hand my experience (ARF version) is that the servos and horns work perfectly and have done so over the last 3 months of rigorous flying. The only problem was a horn coming off (glue broke) and getting lost due to the aileron hinges being too stiff. I made a replacement out of a plastic bottle top. It looks near enough like the original except it is green.

I've re-hinged all the surfaces and wired the horns on so that if the glue breaks there will still be some control for landing.

I've also lubricated the pushrod sleeves with silicon spray.

It is now totally different aircraft as far as response and control go.

Stiff hinges and pushrods overloading servos and horns.

The carbon spar is also critisized but I'm happy to (and do) come out of a full throttle dive pulling maximum G at the bottom.

How many have had servo and horn problems?

How many have not had servo and horn problems?
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old May 15, 2012, 10:13 PM
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
332 Posts
6 more successful flights on the Bixler today. The elevator servo did come loose but did not result in any problems. My ESC is still getting hot. I trimmed around the motor so I am sure that it is not rubbing. The ESC go hot enough to melt the adhesive on the double sided tape holding it in place. Time to order and ESC. Love this plane.
Scooch is offline Find More Posts by Scooch
Old May 15, 2012, 11:09 PM
Joined Apr 2012
116 Posts
MY CG is a dash to far forward. I am running a 2200 mah battery, I looked for those washers everyone says are inside, but I cant find anything. I moved the ESC and receiver as far back in the fuse as I can reach. Finally I just taped a quarter to the tail skid. That leveled it out for me. Any other Ideas.
elcid79 is offline Find More Posts by elcid79
Old May 15, 2012, 11:14 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
The washers are glued way up in the nose. If they're not there, well, they're not there.

Do you have a lighter battery available? Have you done the CG testing routine AJ posted?

If no other battery and still too heavy, keep adding weight to the tail until it's right. Once it's trimmed properly, then consider other options to correct it, like a lighter battery. Nothing wrong with more weight in the tail, it can carry it. Just a thought...
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old May 15, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Apr 2012
116 Posts
Dont have any other batteries, I guess the quarter is the way to go for now. Haha.
elcid79 is offline Find More Posts by elcid79
Old May 16, 2012, 12:23 AM
Joined May 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
On the other hand my experience (ARF version) is that the servos and horns work perfectly and have done so over the last 3 months of rigorous flying. The only problem was a horn coming off (glue broke) and getting lost due to the aileron hinges being too stiff. I made a replacement out of a plastic bottle top. It looks near enough like the original except it is green.

I've re-hinged all the surfaces and wired the horns on so that if the glue breaks there will still be some control for landing.

I've also lubricated the pushrod sleeves with silicon spray.

It is now totally different aircraft as far as response and control go.

Stiff hinges and pushrods overloading servos and horns.

The carbon spar is also critisized but I'm happy to (and do) come out of a full throttle dive pulling maximum G at the bottom.

How many have had servo and horn problems?

How many have not had servo and horn problems?
My wingspar broke on the first flight. Now I'm using a carbon arrow.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:30 AM
Joined May 2011
56 Posts
After a few crashes I noticed that my wings don't fit snug anymore. I don't know if anyone has tried this but it made my wings fit tight again. I cut a carbon arrow and glued into the seam on the very top of the plane. From behind the canopy to the opening of the back of the motor mount. If you apply a little down pressure until the glue dries it will tighten the wings back up again. Sorry that I don't have a pic. The camera on my phone isn't working.