Old May 15, 2012, 12:15 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
I have a bridge for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
Im using this as my extension.......I made three 10cm for each color....
http://www.rcsmart.com.my/webshaper/...oductItem=3418
YIPES!!! That is highway robbery. $11.34 ($35MYR) for about 3 feet of wire is robbery. I am sure that no one is dumb enough to pay that much for wire.
HK is $1 ($3.09MYR) for twice as much.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; May 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2012, 01:33 AM
Joined May 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Ah. Got it. Your problem is simple. You MUST tilt your motor so the thrust is going through (as much as possible) the CG. But, just to make sure I am giving you good info, how is your dive/glide test? That MUST be correct before we continue.
AJ

I don't understand the test. I assume this is with the engine off?
mozzartusm is offline Find More Posts by mozzartusm
Old May 15, 2012, 02:39 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Setting up an airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzartusm View Post
I don't understand the test. I assume this is with the engine off?
Short answer - Yes.
Long answer - It helps you get the airframe setup correctly. Once you are about 4-5 mistakes high (around 200 ft.), shut off the motor, set the plane in about a 30-40 degree dive. Then, release all sticks and see how (if the plane recovers). Once it dives (and subsequently) glides correctly, we can start on the power setup. If we start moving the motor around, we can never be sure if the airplane is flying properly.
AJ
Old May 15, 2012, 07:43 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101 View Post
Eagle: he asked about wire here!!

Cpmboy awnsers him here

Says he will look for "wire" at radio shack!!

You talk about watt meter from radio shack!

Thats the problem with two different conversations going on at the same time!!

LURCH
ahh the problems of getting old and senile.

Taz you are correct. Too many conversations for me to juggle at once. I thought I was answering CPMBOY first question concerning a watt meter and then elcid79 thinking he was getting one at Radio Shack. Thanks for setting me straight.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old May 15, 2012, 09:32 AM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
ahh the problems of getting old and senile.

Taz you are correct. Too many conversations for me to juggle at once. I thought I was answering CPMBOY first question concerning a watt meter and then elcid79 thinking he was getting one at Radio Shack. Thanks for setting me straight.
well....sometimes our COG are out of balanced...he he...+1 here
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old May 15, 2012, 01:11 PM
United States, NY, Victor
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
I think I would like to purchase this Sky Surfer as my first plane and my trainer. Can you recommend a vendor and whether the stock RTF radio and parts are OK, or better to go with ARF and a separate radio and receiver? I would like to be able to upgrade and use my first radio and plane for a while to learn basic flight and then some simple aerobatics.

Thanks!
Bryan
cassb is offline Find More Posts by cassb
Old May 15, 2012, 01:54 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassb View Post
I think I would like to purchase this Sky Surfer as my first plane and my trainer. Can you recommend a vendor and whether the stock RTF radio and parts are OK, or better to go with ARF and a separate radio and receiver? I would like to be able to upgrade and use my first radio and plane for a while to learn basic flight and then some simple aerobatics.

Thanks!
Bryan
It depends on where you live - Which is ??
AJ
Old May 15, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
It depends on where you live - Which is ??
AJ
I'm in Victor, NY. I sent an email to Tim at http://www.readymaderc.com to ask about what he has available for/with the Sky Surfer. I'm thinking maybe a kit would be better than RTF if I want to get some better quality components?

Thanks!
Old May 15, 2012, 03:20 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Kit: Foam parts and hardware, all needing to be assembled yourself
ARF: Servos and motor pre-installed, some assembly of the foam needed
RTF: All electronics installed, still need to install some of the foam pieces

The stock electronics are OK, I ran stock equipment for hundreds of flights, and I still use the stock servos, and I just replaced the motor a few weeks ago.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old May 15, 2012, 03:49 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Suggestion

Quote:
I'm in Victor, NY. I sent an email to Tim at http://www.readymaderc.com to ask about what he has available for/with the Sky Surfer. I'm thinking maybe a kit would be better than RTF if I want to get some better quality components?

Thanks!
For now, get an RTF. If you stay in the sport, then you won't have big bucks put in it. Get it from ReadyMadeRC for sure. Their reputation is fantastic. Banana Hobby is cheaper. But, if the plane was free, I would not order from them. Their reputation is dreadful. That is the only firm that I know of that has an "F" rating with BBB (and they deserve it).
AJ
P.S. I see you were flirting with an EZ* about 7 years ago. Have you thought about it long enough yet?
Old May 15, 2012, 03:53 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
Quote:
For now, get an RTF. If you stay in the sport, then you won't have big bucks put in it. Get it from ReadyMadeRC for sure. Their reputation is fantastic. Banana Hobby is cheaper. But, if the plane was free, I would not order from them. Their reputation is dreadful. That is the only firm that I know of that has an "F" rating with BBB (and they deserve it).
AJ
P.S. I see you were flirting with an EZ* about 7 years ago. Have you thought about it long enough yet?

Get a kit and put your own good stuff in it.
Not only is that a good idea, it allows me to disagree with aj.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old May 15, 2012, 04:05 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
Bryan
You might consider using 2500GENE for an instructor.
AJ
Old May 15, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
AJ
lol! I was hoping no one would see my old posts, AJ.

Yeah, you know I was seriously looking, back in 2005, at the EasyStar because it was recommended... then I got into some discussion about what radio to get with it... then it started getting too complicated and so I found other uses for the money I had.

But someone just gave me $350 specifically for a RC plane (he's an ex-commercial pilot to boot), so I am now seriouser. ha

So I have one vote for RTF and then see how it goes, and another for ARF and get my own parts. Seems like I could at least upgrade the motor to brushless, a better radio, and get a few battery packs and props with the money.

Also, ReadyMadeRC only sells the V1 version of this plane, since he's all about FPV and V1 has the most interior space. Is that OK?

Thanks for the help!
Bryan
Old May 15, 2012, 04:10 PM
Joined Apr 2005
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Get a kit and put your own good stuff in it.
Not only is that a good idea, it allows me to disagree with aj.
OK, I'm all ears if you have suggestions for what to include with just the airframe kit.
Old May 15, 2012, 04:13 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
OK, I'm all ears if you have suggestions for what to include with just the airframe kit.
RCTimer 2212/6 2200KV Motor, 6x4 prop, 4 hxt900 servos, 30a ESC (Either with sBEC or get a sBEC).
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat