HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 14, 2012, 08:47 PM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
what brand of watt/volt meter all u guys been using?....gonna pluck one
I purchased a Uni-Trend UT203 AC/DC meter for $39.99 + $5.49 shipping on amazon. Your not going to find a DC amp meter for much less. The company was called MyStore365.

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2012, 08:53 PM
Registered User
CPMBOY's Avatar
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid79 View Post
Hello everyone, I have a question. I got my Sky Surfer kit in the mail and am just getting around to setting it up. It looks really nice. The problem stems here however, The motor has tiny little cables. Like no more than 2 or 3 inches. So I am clearly going to need some sort of extension. I have a couple of extra Servo extensions lying around would that make an acceptable cable or is it to narrow of a gauge? Thanks in advance...
Im using this as my extension.......I made three 10cm for each color....
http://www.rcsmart.com.my/webshaper/...oductItem=3418
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 08:58 PM
Registered User
elcid79's Avatar
Joined Apr 2012
116 Posts
I will hit up radio shack tomorrow, no reason to cheap out at the last moment....
elcid79 is offline Find More Posts by elcid79
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 08:59 PM
Registered User
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
I wonder how we can get such different results. :dunno
Timing, prop brand, differences in manufacturers, who knows. Stated Kv doesn't always match measured Kv. I know it takes a 40A ESC with an added heat sink to hold it. (Suppo 2212/6 2200 Kv).

The very inexpensive watt meters are crap.
pmullen503 is online now Find More Posts by pmullen503
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 09:06 PM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid79 View Post
I will hit up radio shack tomorrow, no reason to cheap out at the last moment....
Radio Shack sell the Extech models which are very good quality. Just remember to check the specs to make sure the ammeter measures DC current. Some models indicate it is an AC/DC digital meter but that is for the voltage side. The current side may only be AC which makes the meter less expensive. Happy hunting.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 09:11 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
which side do the roll goes?....I also has this anomaly in my maiden, it was roll/banking to the right (hvnt had the time yet 4 2nd flight....bad wheather).
Mine was rolling right. As soon as it left my hand the right wing would start to tip down. My motor thrust angle was pointed to the right if your looking from the front of the plane to the back. I changed it to straight and it didn't help so I made it angle to the left if your looking from front to back. That took the roll out.
mozzartusm is offline Find More Posts by mozzartusm
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 09:53 PM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Need more info

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzartusm View Post
The angle was in the opposite direction that it was supposed to be when I got it. It would roll real bad. I changed it to the direction it was supposed to be and it fixed the roll. Now it will nose down if I take my hands off the controls.
With the throttle off? or on? If on, how much on in percentage?
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 09:57 PM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Another suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
what brand of watt/volt meter all u guys been using?....gonna pluck one
I use THIS and THIS. I have tested one against the other and there was less than .1% (.001) difference. Pick one.
Of course, the cheaper one is OOS.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 10:37 PM
Registered User
Australia, TAS, Devonport
Joined May 2011
147 Posts
Here's a short vid of testing my Bixler on the watt meter:

Bixler with stock motor, 30A ESC, 6 x 4 prop, drawing 27 amps! (0 min 21 sec)


27.3 A/310 W with the battery at 11.38 V.

The watt meter is a cheap hobbyking one that still gets good reviews: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Analyzer_.html

I'm guessing that the stock motor would probably not be rated to that kind of current, so maybe I should stay away from full throttle just in case it's accurate (somehow)?
Heliosphere is offline Find More Posts by Heliosphere
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 10:56 PM
Registered User
CPMBOY's Avatar
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzartusm View Post
Mine was rolling right. As soon as it left my hand the right wing would start to tip down. My motor thrust angle was pointed to the right if your looking from the front of the plane to the back. I changed it to straight and it didn't help so I made it angle to the left if your looking from front to back. That took the roll out.
ok...gonna put some shims on mine if that roll thing happens again.
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 11:17 PM
'tis nothing
shunyata's Avatar
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
I don't think so. Perhaps your TX throttle channel wasn't properly calibrated to the esc.

The esc always send full voltage to the motor, on and off, many times a second. The more on time and the faster the motor spins.
Hmmmm, did not think about the throttle calibration... Thank you. I can't test either the SS or the Bixler, but I can do a test with the Wildcat. All things being equal with just a swap of the ESC. Is that valid?

FWIW, I'm using a Watt's Up. But, if my testing was bogus, it doesn't matter. See if I can pin this down during the week.

Hope I've not been spreading nonsense on this.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 11:27 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
With the throttle off? or on? If on, how much on in percentage?
AJ
Throttle on, and it seems to nose down at any speed. It seemed to get worse as the throttle increases. When I throw the plane I have to get on the elevator quick to keep from hitting the ground.
mozzartusm is offline Find More Posts by mozzartusm
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 11:44 PM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I use THIS and THIS. I have tested one against the other and there was less than .1% (.001) difference. Pick one.
Of course, the cheaper one is OOS.
AJ
Ahh. I was totally off base concerning which type of watt meter to use.

Thanks for the options AJ. I looked for the one that is OOS out on amazon and Ebay and could not find anything that was less than $35 for that model.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 01:00 AM
Registered User
taz101's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
2,291 Posts
Eagle off base again! LOL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid79 View Post
Hello everyone, I have a question. I got my Sky Surfer kit in the mail and am just getting around to setting it up. It looks really nice. The problem stems here however, The motor has tiny little cables. Like no more than 2 or 3 inches. So I am clearly going to need some sort of extension. I have a couple of extra Servo extensions lying around would that make an acceptable cable or is it to narrow of a gauge? Thanks in advance...
Eagle: he asked about wire here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
Im using this as my extension.......I made three 10cm for each color....
http://www.rcsmart.com.my/webshaper/...oductItem=3418
Cpmboy awnsers him here

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid79 View Post
I will hit up radio shack tomorrow, no reason to cheap out at the last moment....
Says he will look for "wire" at radio shack!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Radio Shack sell the Extech models which are very good quality. Just remember to check the specs to make sure the ammeter measures DC current. Some models indicate it is an AC/DC digital meter but that is for the voltage side. The current side may only be AC which makes the meter less expensive. Happy hunting.
You talk about watt meter from radio shack!

Thats the problem with two different conversations going on at the same time!!

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 01:09 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Dive/glide test

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzartusm View Post
Throttle on, and it seems to nose down at any speed. It seemed to get worse as the throttle increases. When I throw the plane I have to get on the elevator quick to keep from hitting the ground.
Ah. Got it. Your problem is simple. You MUST tilt your motor so the thrust is going through (as much as possible) the CG. But, just to make sure I am giving you good info, how is your dive/glide test? That MUST be correct before we continue.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Cyber Sky Parachute (Sky Surfer) shv2sail Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 May 28, 2013 03:14 AM
Discussion Sky Surfer nickwayne11c Electric Plane Talk 15 Nov 18, 2011 03:36 PM
Discussion Banana Hobby Sky Surfer Problems cavy92 Electric Plane Talk 56 Nov 02, 2010 03:49 AM
Question Sky Surfer LiPo mod, help... Freight Dog Power Systems 0 Aug 17, 2006 02:45 PM
Swashplate Assembly with Center Ball; is this the swash with ball mod i want? tekforce Micro Helis 4 Feb 08, 2004 06:28 PM