SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 13, 2010, 02:43 AM
United States, IA, Keosauqua
Joined Sep 2010
283 Posts
I'm going to bed now--feel a little better about the possibility of eventually getting this thing off the ground.

Bob
Bob A is offline Find More Posts by Bob A
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:29 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Congratultions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
I'm going to bed now--feel a little better about the possibility of eventually getting this thing off the ground.

Bob
Well done, Bob. Give yourself a pat on the back. You certainly deserve it. Let's get those ailerons working tomorrow. I am a night owl. So, you will probably get 2500GENE tomorrow (today?). I don't hit the sack until about 4am usually. I like to be in bed before the sun comes up. Good luck. But, I don't think you will need much of it to complete your task.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:58 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
guys guys guys..
has anyone noticed a hole at the tail of the SS ? ? ? that hole there could be an easy mod for a tail wheel working with the rudder..

btw I did the flaperon mixing on the DX6i...

EDIT: btw sorry I'm not providing any pictures of my build. I will do it on the second skysurfer...
I did all the electronics .. mounted all 4 servos..
Now I'm thinking on how to close the Fuse...

Btw On the second sky surfer I'm gonna use the wingdragon landing gear.. I also got the wing dragons Floats so as soon as that landing gear mount is ready it will also be Float ready
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Last edited by pavcon; Nov 13, 2010 at 04:06 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:55 AM
Joined Sep 2010
283 Posts
Thanks everyone who has tried to help me get my RTF ready to fly. However at this point it looks like I would have to tear the wings apart to resolve the problems I am having and I am reluctant to do that with my present level of ignorance--I assumed there would be crash damage to repair as I learn to fly but didn't figure on having to cut into the plane to even start .

So I am ordering another Tx/Rx and components I think I need to scratch build a Blue Baby since that seems like my best chance to ever fly a RC plane. Maybe that's just throwing good money after bad but I would really like a chance to experience this hobby.

[edit] Sorry--16 hrs of no progress and 2 hrs sleep last night have me a little discouraged but I'm not quite ready to give up!

Bob
Last edited by Bob A; Nov 13, 2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Sorry--not quite ready to give up
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:49 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
We Don't Quit.

Quote:

[edit] Sorry--16 hrs of no progress and 2 hrs sleep last night have me a little discouraged but I'm not quite ready to give up!

Bob
You have made a lot of progress. You know a few things that it isn't. Giving up is not an option. Ok... back to the drawing board. Plug the ailerons into channel 4 and the rudder into channel 1 (Do Both!!). Does the rudder still work? Do one or both the ailerons work?
AJ
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:18 AM
Joined Sep 2010
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
You have made a lot of progress. You know a few things that it isn't. Giving up is not an option. Ok... back to the drawing board. Plug the ailerons into channel 4 and the rudder into channel 1 (Do Both!!). Does the rudder still work? Do one or both the ailerons work?
AJ
The rudder will still work, but on the RH stick instead of LH.
Ailerons do not work. Is it normal for the servos to rattle and buzz intermittently?

Bob
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:35 AM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Quote:
Ailerons do not work. Is it normal for the servos to rattle and buzz intermittently?

Bob
Not to intrude but...After watching this drama, the last move by Bob tells me there is a problem inside the plane with either the y-cable or a servo. Good analog servos are normally quiet with no input. I would try unplugging one aileron servo at a time from the y-cable and see if the symptom changes. Or, plug each aileron servo directly into the rx one at a time. ASSUMPTION: The y-cable is connected correctly to the rx.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Last edited by garymcc; Nov 13, 2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Clarification.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:56 AM
Joined Sep 2010
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcc View Post
Not to intrude but...After watching this drama, the last move by Bob tells me there is a problem inside the plane with either the y-cable or a servo. Good analog servos are normally quiet with no input. I would try unplugging one aileron servo at a time from the y-cable and see if the symptom changes. Or, plug each aileron servo directly into the rx one at a time. ASSUMPTION: The y-cable is connected correctly to the rx.
I tried plugging each aileron servo directly into rx one at a time as suggested. When I do that the servos do work for the first time. However the rattling/buzzing continues and varies whenever I engage rudder or elevator servos.

Bob
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:10 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
I tried plugging each aileron servo directly into rx one at a time as suggested. When I do that the servos do work for the first time. However the rattling/buzzing continues and varies whenever I engage rudder or elevator servos.

Bob
Servos can buzz and rattle from stray RF interference. Some cheaper servos are worse then others. Things like cell phones, your wifi connection from your pc, monitor or cpu can cause this. Take the plane into another room and see if the buzzing changes or stops.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:15 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:

Bob
Bob,

Your servos are probably junk. J Power (Jalin) had a problem with one mfg. he used. My SS had a dead ESC and one servo that would buzz and flutter when the motor was run to wide open. You can buy HXT900 servos that would drop right in.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:42 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,854 Posts
My Mods and Build

Setup

2836 2200kv inrunner (heads up r/c)
Turnigy 60 amp ESC (overkill but all I had)
2 HS-55's Rudder/Elevator
2 HS-45's Ailerons
Spektrum AR 6200
My "go to prop" APC 6x4 sport. (very little clearance at the fuse)
I plan to use the ton of 3S 2200mah 3oC packs I have

The build took a Friday night, but I forgot one important mod. The rubber band dowel

I used double sided scotch, blenderm and strapping tape to keep the fuse together. The tail section is glued. The rubber band mod will hopefully keep the wings on in flight (I am praying on this one).

Looks solid. I would like to thank everyone who helped me on the research before the build. I really appreciate the help on doing it right the first time.

The only mod I didn't do was the .188 cf inside the main wing spar. But I plan on doing it later when I can find that size cf. The LHS didn't have it.

I am sure I will have a ton of CG, fand setup questions once I get it ready to fly.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Nov 13, 2010, 01:29 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Quote:

Bob
IMO your y-cable must be bad or the servos are plugged into the y-cable incorrectly. Local hobby shops usually carry these y-cables for a couple of bucks. I think your radio gear is good.
As he said, the servos may rattle for several reasons. Ideally, I think they should not rattle.
I think your aileron problem is identified. You should be able to fly soon. Good luck.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Old Nov 13, 2010, 01:31 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Johnnyrocco,

Excellent build, just avoid those high speed dive pull outs until you reinforce the wing spar.

BTW, that 60 amp ESC allows you to run a 4S if you want sick power. Just prop down. I haven't done it because I ran a 32 amp 3 esc.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:00 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
2 bad servos????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Bob,

Your servos are probably junk. J Power (Jalin) had a problem with one mfg. he used. My SS had a dead ESC and one servo that would buzz and flutter when the motor was run to wide open. You can buy HXT900 servos that would drop right in.

Bill
I considered that some time ago. But, I just cannot wrap my brain around him having TWO!! bad servos. The odds are too great. But, it is still possible. Still though, it is a good idea.
AJ