HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2012, 11:10 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
shunyata,
With a couple of carbon rods and magnets on each end, you can have removable wing tips.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2012, 11:11 AM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Awesome idea! lol. Sold!
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old May 14, 2012, 12:19 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliosphere View Post
I have a question though, I've been running a 6 x 4 APC prop for a long time but only recently measured the amp draw with my cheap hobbyking meter. It measured 27 amps full throttle! That's with a 2200 3s 20C battery. That can't be right can it?
It could be correct. I've measured almost thirty amps static on a 2212/6 2200Kv with an MA 6x4 prop which is narrower than an APC 6x4. Is your motor hot? ESC hot? Battery warm? If you only run full throttle for a few seconds at a time you should get away with it....for a while anyway.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old May 14, 2012, 01:42 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
I wonder how we can get such different results. :dunno
Old May 14, 2012, 02:37 PM
Australia, TAS, Devonport
Joined May 2011
147 Posts
I forgot to mention that it's not with the stock ESC, it was with a hobbyking SS 20A and then this Turnigy 30A: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...less_ESC_.html one that I switched to today after discovering the high current.

I've had probably 10 flights with the new plane and 20A speed control without problem (I've also had the speed control mounted externally on the top of the plane, so it's had plenty of cooling.), hardly any full throttle flying though, mostly sedate. Didn't check the temperature of any of the components.

But the speed control shouldn't matter should it? Wouldn't it just be passing through full voltage at full throttle regardless of what type it was?
Heliosphere is offline Find More Posts by Heliosphere
Old May 14, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Apr 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
I think the thrust line is very close to stock on mine. I never measured it to begin with, just eye-balled it. Haven't flown it yet with the clipped wings, but with stock wings it flew fine. More than fine, in fact. Very relaxed flight and at WOT it goes vertical all on its own. Motor is a 3530-14 1100kv with 8x6 prop. Gonna try the 9x6 before anything else.

I kept the wing tips and can replace them if me no likey.

edit: speaking of watts, the current motor and prop, 162 watts and it out-climbs the stock motor with 36amp esc and 6x4 prop at 248 watts. Super efficient and tons of thrust.
I got this motor http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...h-14%29/Detail

It is rated for 35 oz of thrust with a 8x4, I think this is just too much downward thrust. But I don't really grasp the mechanic behind it.

How can I reduce the tendency of the plane to go down when increasing the thrust?
josibarns is offline Find More Posts by josibarns
Old May 14, 2012, 05:38 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josibarns View Post
I got this motor http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...h-14%29/Detail

It is rated for 35 oz of thrust with a 8x4, I think this is just too much downward thrust. But I don't really grasp the mechanic behind it.

How can I reduce the tendency of the plane to go down when increasing the thrust?
Tip the motor so the thrust line goes exactly through the CG.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 14, 2012, 06:37 PM
Joined May 2011
56 Posts
G
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzartusm View Post
The reason it took a dive was the elevator servo had popped loose. I was in a tree for about 20 hours and it got rained on. Some water collected in the nose and the motor was pointed straight up so would anyone recommend maybe pouring some 91% alcohol over the esc and maybe the motor to try and flush out any trash that may have gotten into the electronics?
I changed the motor thrust angle and it helped a lot with the right roll problem. Now I'm having an issue with the plane dipping. If I let off the elevator it goes down and at a very fast dive. Do I need to point the thrust angle down more?
mozzartusm is offline Find More Posts by mozzartusm
Old May 14, 2012, 07:27 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
First things first

Quote:
G

I changed the motor thrust angle and it helped a lot with the right roll problem. Now I'm having an issue with the plane dipping. If I let off the elevator it goes down and at a very fast dive. Do I need to point the thrust angle down more?
Try the attached first. The airframe has to be right before anything should be done with the motor.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 14, 2012, 07:54 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliosphere View Post
I forgot to mention that it's not with the stock ESC, it was with a hobbyking SS 20A and then this Turnigy 30A: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...less_ESC_.html one that I switched to today after discovering the high current.

I've had probably 10 flights with the new plane and 20A speed control without problem (I've also had the speed control mounted externally on the top of the plane, so it's had plenty of cooling.), hardly any full throttle flying though, mostly sedate. Didn't check the temperature of any of the components.

But the speed control shouldn't matter should it? Wouldn't it just be passing through full voltage at full throttle regardless of what type it was?
No expert here but my experience shows that the ESC does indeed make a difference. When we installed the Thunderbird 36amp to the stock motor, the motor itself sounded different (better timing, higher refresh rates??), the amps jumped from 17 to around 24, and the thrust increase was obvious, using the same prop. The motor rev'd higher, too, which means the motor was getting a higher voltage. I suppose that's it, the higher capacity ESC delivers higher voltages resulting in higher revs, which translates into amps and watts.

The stock 20amp worked fine but there's no way our heavy plane would get into the air without the larger ESC...

Installing a 25amp ESC over the stock 18a in my Wildcat showed an obvious performance increase as well.

At some point the gains go away.
Old May 14, 2012, 08:05 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
No expert here but my experience shows that the ESC does indeed make a difference. When we installed the Thunderbird 36amp to the stock motor, the motor itself sounded different (better timing, higher refresh rates??), the amps jumped from 17 to around 24, and the thrust increase was obvious, using the same prop. The motor rev'd higher, too, which means the motor was getting a higher voltage. I suppose that's it, the higher capacity ESC delivers higher voltages resulting in higher revs, which translates into amps and watts.

The stock 20amp worked fine but there's no way our heavy plane would get into the air without the larger ESC...

Installing a 25amp ESC over the stock 18a in my Wildcat showed an obvious performance increase as well.

At some point the gains go away.
I don't think so. Perhaps your TX throttle channel wasn't properly calibrated to the esc.

The esc always send full voltage to the motor, on and off, many times a second. The more on time and the faster the motor spins.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old May 14, 2012, 08:22 PM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
727 Posts
watt/volt meter

what brand of watt/volt meter all u guys been using?....gonna pluck one
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old May 14, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined May 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Try the attached first. The airframe has to be right before anything should be done with the motor.
AJ
The angle was in the opposite direction that it was supposed to be when I got it. It would roll real bad. I changed it to the direction it was supposed to be and it fixed the roll. Now it will nose down if I take my hands off the controls.
mozzartusm is offline Find More Posts by mozzartusm
Old May 14, 2012, 08:30 PM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
727 Posts
Quote:
The angle was in the opposite direction that it was supposed to be when I got it. It would roll real bad. I changed it to the direction it was supposed to be and it fixed the roll. Now it will nose down if I take my hands off the controls.
which side do the roll goes?....I also has this anomaly in my maiden, it was roll/banking to the right (hvnt had the time yet 4 2nd flight....bad wheather).
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old May 14, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
116 Posts
Hello everyone, I have a question. I got my Sky Surfer kit in the mail and am just getting around to setting it up. It looks really nice. The problem stems here however, The motor has tiny little cables. Like no more than 2 or 3 inches. So I am clearly going to need some sort of extension. I have a couple of extra Servo extensions lying around would that make an acceptable cable or is it to narrow of a gauge? Thanks in advance...
elcid79 is offline Find More Posts by elcid79