SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 12, 2012, 05:59 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post

The reason I just "cut to the chase" is because I have 2 of those stock BL motors on a SkyS and an EZ*. I use that exact same ESC on both and the best performance and battery life is obtained with a high setting on the ESC. In both planes, the motor gets barely warm (and that is a stretch) after stressful flying manuevers (WOT). The attachment that you provided is accurate for some motors. As you pointed out, there are exceptions to everything (except for dachshund superiority) . The way motors are being designed and wired these days, I typically suggest that each person find the instructions for their exact motor and ESC combo. If not able to do that, I suggest that everyone use the instructions that come with their exact ESC (i.e. I was shocked to find out that the MicroDan motor will not even start on low or medium timing (per Prof100)). So, in summary, I made that suggestion based on experience with his exact combo. Still, though, I wonder if his motor turns freely without any "drag". I had one of those motors (and a few like it) push against the firewall because the output shaft was set too far back. In my experiences with my two stock motors (BL) and several applications, I never had one get even the slightest bit hot. Hmmmmm..... I wonder if the motor is rubbing against the foam?
AJ
I just asked Ernie the wiener dog and he feels the problem is the lack of quality control with these cheap Asian motors we use. You have a couple that like high timing and I have ones that want it set medium. With higher priced motors they are more consistent on their requirements as are the escs.
Setting to medium is a safe bet it will operate within its requirements. If this was a plane where we flew at full throttle most of the time then the higher timing may be advantageous...though we'd loose low rpm torque and half throttle efficiency..

Ernie knows his escs.

2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 07:45 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
I just asked Ernie the wiener dog and he feels the problem is the lack of quality control with these cheap Asian motors we use. You have a couple that like high timing and I have ones that want it set medium. With higher priced motors they are more consistent on their requirements as are the escs.
Setting to medium is a safe bet it will operate within its requirements. If this was a plane where we flew at full throttle most of the time then the higher timing may be advantageous...though we'd loose low rpm torque and half throttle efficiency..

Ernie knows his escs.

Methinks that cheap Chinee QC on these 2000 to 2200 Kv motors is adequate for our purposes and typically run fine on ESCs set to mid or medium timing.

Now toss Ernie a treat and me a cold beer or three and let's get on with it.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old May 12, 2012, 08:50 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
A questionFor Canadian pilots. I am about to join a flying club, and even though i am not a novice,I consider myself as a late stage beginner. What is going to be expected of me to "earn my wings" as a member of a canadian flying club, in short, what am i going to have to do to become certified, any answers will be helpful.

THANX IN ADVANCE.

RONALD
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old May 12, 2012, 08:51 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post

(except for dachshund superiority) .

AJ

I lived with one of those for 14 years. Higher maintenance than both wives.

Er, I mean, two different marriages. lol
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old May 12, 2012, 08:52 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
A questionFor Canadian pilots. I am about to join a flying club, and even though i am not a novice,I consider myself as a late stage beginner. What is going to be expected of me to "earn my wings" as a member of a canadian flying club, in short, what am i going to have to do to become certified, any answers will be helpful.

THANX IN ADVANCE.

RONALD
Do you have a dachshund?

Badger Dog!
Old May 12, 2012, 09:07 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Not in ANY WAY an answer to my question, but , what ever.
Old May 12, 2012, 09:42 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Not in ANY WAY an answer to my question, but , what ever.
Sorry Ronald, just my weird sense of humor. This is not the best thread to ask such a question. And since flying fundamentals know no borders, I suspect it will be similar to just about any location on Mother Earth.

Safety and fundamental skills. Do you know how to work around a prop? Arm the plane safely? The latter would include not only being able to keep a plane in the air (that's really the easy part), but understand how to fly a basic pattern and a solid landing approach. Down wind leg, base, final, etc.. You will want to be able to fly parallel to the runway - something few of us noobs practice. And not let the plane get too far away - another noob mistake.

"Which control surface do you use make a plane turn?"
"What is the purpose of the rudder and when do you use it?"

A good instructor is going to look for a mind open for learning. Listen to what they want you to do and then do it. Hope that helps!
Old May 12, 2012, 10:31 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Yes thank you , was that so hard, really, that is a very good answer.

To answer one of your questions, i wiil always try for a good aileron / rudder turn, [All thumbs, no mixes}, and plus i never let it get to far away, and i am pretty sure i got the arming procedure down, gonna be hard to show them touch and goes though, since both of my planes are chuckers/ belly landers. I will have to practice my approaches, since most of my landings are willy nillly.
Last edited by Limited flyer; May 12, 2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:14 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post

Ernie knows his escs.

I absolutely agree in general. However, with the ESC that I suggested, I have proven several times that high timing is preferred with that ESC and a stock SkyS/Bix motor & prop (which he expressly stated). Any other combos would surely be a mystery and I, too, would start with medium timing. I had my best friend below verify it. She is the best.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; May 12, 2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:18 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Yes thank you , was that so hard, really, that is a very good answer.

To answer one of your questions, i wiil always try for a good aileron / rudder turn, [All thumbs, no mixes}, and plus i never let it get to far away, and i am pretty sure i got the arming procedure down, gonna be hard to show them touch and goes though, since both of my planes are chuckers/ belly landers. I will have to practice my approaches, since most of my landings are willy nillly.
That can be improved several hundred percent by using a pitch gyro.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 12, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined May 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzartusm View Post
Turns out that it must have been the motor thrust angle. Mine was the opposite of what ive seen in this forum. Looking from front to back mine was pointing right. I changed it so that it now points left if viewing from front to back. As soon as I released the plane, I could tell that I wasn't fighting it for the first time. Just when I was going to begin coming around for a landing something happened and it turned straight down at mach 3 into a nice pine tree. I wonder if the motor mount popped loose? Maybe I didn't get enough glue in after changing the motor thrust angle?
The reason it took a dive was the elevator servo had popped loose. I was in a tree for about 20 hours and it got rained on. Some water collected in the nose and the motor was pointed straight up so would anyone recommend maybe pouring some 91% alcohol over the esc and maybe the motor to try and flush out any trash that may have gotten into the electronics?
mozzartusm is offline Find More Posts by mozzartusm
Old May 13, 2012, 02:49 AM
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
331 Posts
I will check the motor to make sure it's not rubbing on the foam or binding up and give it another try. What are the chances that the ESC is just bad and how can I tell?

If the motor is rubbing or binding, will it also get hot?
Scooch is offline Find More Posts by Scooch
Last edited by Scooch; May 13, 2012 at 03:19 AM.
Old May 13, 2012, 10:46 AM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
I know i said before i didnt like these planes but i take it back...you can not kill them...i think you could run them over with a tank and they would still fly.
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
Old May 13, 2012, 10:47 AM
Lake Havasu City AZ
Joined Feb 2009
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooch View Post
I will check the motor to make sure it's not rubbing on the foam or binding up and give it another try. What are the chances that the ESC is just bad and how can I tell?

If the motor is rubbing or binding, will it also get hot?
A watt meter would show if you have an over current problem with either ESC or motor. Is the motor also hot? If not it could be the ESC.
Yes, if the motor is rubbing or binding it will draw more current (get hot).
jeeper1977 is offline Find More Posts by jeeper1977
Old May 13, 2012, 10:48 AM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post

"What is the purpose of the rudder and when do you use it?"
wow, i thought i was the only person that would ask this.
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem