HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2012, 01:12 AM
United States, CA, Santa Monica
Joined Jul 2011
493 Posts
Hey, does anyone know what brand the stock Bixler ESC is? After switching to the turnigy 9x, I think the brake option got turned on, so what are the programming instructions for the stock ESC?

Thanks.
Lpbug is online now Find More Posts by Lpbug
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 02:01 AM
Australia, QLD, New Farm
Joined Apr 2011
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epyonxero View Post
What are you doing to your plane that you need a steel rod in the wing?
not a steel rod, just steel joiner of carbon rods.
makind is offline Find More Posts by makind
Old May 12, 2012, 08:50 AM
Joined Feb 2012
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makind View Post
not a steel rod, just steel joiner of carbon rods.
Oh, I see. Is this so you can detach the wings easily?
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old May 12, 2012, 09:14 AM
Australia, QLD, New Farm
Joined Apr 2011
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epyonxero View Post
Oh, I see. Is this so you can detach the wings easily?
i have this because i want be able to have to halves wing in same dimensions, i didnt wanted to have 700mm wings and travel with 1000mm spar.
makind is offline Find More Posts by makind
Old May 12, 2012, 01:40 PM
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
329 Posts
I finaly got my Bixler in the mail last night. Completed the build and maidened today. Not only was this the maiden for this plane, it was also my first solo. I have flown a couple of other planes on a buddy box, but this was my first solo. All went well. Had one "hard landing." The only damage was that the control horn for the elevator was knocked off. Found that out on the next flight. Took forever to get the plane in without it. There was a fairly good headwind and this thing just kept gliding.

The only problem that I had was with the ESC. I got an 30A from another plane. Man, that thing was smoking hot by the end of each flight. I don't have a watt meter but, based on what I have read on this thread, it should not be drawing anything close to 30A. It has the stock motor and prop on it.
Scooch is online now Find More Posts by Scooch
Old May 12, 2012, 02:13 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooch View Post
I finaly got my Bixler in the mail last night. Completed the build and maidened today. Not only was this the maiden for this plane, it was also my first solo. I have flown a couple of other planes on a buddy box, but this was my first solo. All went well. Had one "hard landing." The only damage was that the control horn for the elevator was knocked off. Found that out on the next flight. Took forever to get the plane in without it. There was a fairly good headwind and this thing just kept gliding.

The only problem that I had was with the ESC. I got an 30A from another plane. Man, that thing was smoking hot by the end of each flight. I don't have a watt meter but, based on what I have read on this thread, it should not be drawing anything close to 30A. It has the stock motor and prop on it.
Cool, congrats!

Might be a long shot here, but did you check any of the programming in that ESC before you used it? I wonder if the timing might be set wrong for the Bixler motor? Don't know if that could cause excessive heat, but maybe???

A 30a should run pretty much cold on a stock setup.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old May 12, 2012, 02:37 PM
Joined Nov 2011
329 Posts
I know nothing about the ESC. It came out of this plane. All I know is that it is marked as 30A. I can't find the same ESC for sale on the Nitroplanes site. My guess is that it is very cheap. I will look to get another ESC for the Bixler in the future.
Old May 12, 2012, 03:34 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
?

A 30a should run pretty much cold on a stock setup.
+1 Timing issue probably. Don't fly with an ESC that gets too hot to hold. If you get a thermal shutdown in flight, or worse a fire, you could lose everything. It's worth it to get a quality ESC you can program.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old May 12, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Nov 2011
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
+1 Timing issue probably. Don't fly with an ESC that gets too hot to hold. If you get a thermal shutdown in flight, or worse a fire, you could lose everything. It's worth it to get a quality ESC you can program.
Help me out here. What do you mean by a timing issue????
Old May 12, 2012, 03:59 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Most ESC's allow you to adjust the timing to the motor. I don't understand the technical aspects behind it, but by default, most ESC's will arrive set to medium (low, med, and high.) The high setting can produce more power but also more heat and current use. Most motors do fine on the medium setting. IF the timing is way off for a particular motor, it may not even run.

Anyway, something is amiss with that ESC. Get yourself a nice one. Turnigy Plush or Hobbywing FunFly are good choices. Castle is good, too, just kinda spendy.

edit: Also, it's good practice to set the throttle position for a new ESC as well. Turn on TX, set the throttle trim all the way down , then set throttle stick all the way up (full throttle), then power up plane. Wait a few seconds or so, then pull the throttle stick down, re-center throttle trim on TX.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Last edited by shunyata; May 12, 2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old May 12, 2012, 04:16 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
What you need.

Quote:
Get THIS and THIS. Set the timing for high. End of problem.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 12, 2012, 04:35 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Excessive timing on a BL motor causes a lot more heat from the motor and esc and sometimes a louder "squeal" then normal.. I'd get the esc AJ linked to and set to medium timing (stock setting) and gauge from that.
Generally the higher kv motors (+3000kv) will need higher timing to run efficiently. There are always exceptions. Number of windings, size and type of magnets used, ect.
Your stock BL of aprox 2000kv motor should be fine on medium timing.

Back to the pool.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Last edited by 2500GENE; May 12, 2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old May 12, 2012, 04:35 PM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
Clipped Wing Bixler

I received this Bixler already clipped. Motor is a 28mm 2000kv inrunner. Motor is mounted using gorilla glue to fill the gap and hold it in place.

Winds were blowing18-23 mph today - couldn't really put her thru her paces ....

Clipped Wing Bixler - first flight (0 min 54 sec)
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Old May 12, 2012, 05:30 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
So, I wonder what is really going on.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Excessive timing on a BL motor causes a lot more heat from the motor and esc and sometimes a louder "squeal" then normal.. I'd get the esc AJ linked to and set to medium timing (stock setting) and gauge from that.
Generally the higher kv motors (+3000kv) will need higher timing to run efficiently. There are always exceptions. Number of windings, size and type of magnets used, ect.
Your stock BL of aprox 2000kv motor should be fine on medium timing.

Back to the pool.
The reason I just "cut to the chase" is because I have 2 of those stock BL motors on a SkyS and an EZ*. I use that exact same ESC on both and the best performance and battery life is obtained with a high setting on the ESC. In both planes, the motor gets barely warm (and that is a stretch) after stressful flying manuevers (WOT). The attachment that you provided is accurate for some motors. As you pointed out, there are exceptions to everything (except for dachshund superiority) . The way motors are being designed and wired these days, I typically suggest that each person find the instructions for their exact motor and ESC combo. If not able to do that, I suggest that everyone use the instructions that come with their exact ESC (i.e. I was shocked to find out that the MicroDan motor will not even start on low or medium timing (per Prof100)). So, in summary, I made that suggestion based on experience with his exact combo. Still, though, I wonder if his motor turns freely without any "drag". I had one of those motors (and a few like it) push against the firewall because the output shaft was set too far back. In my experiences with my two stock motors (BL) and several applications, I never had one get even the slightest bit hot. Hmmmmm..... I wonder if the motor is rubbing against the foam?
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 12, 2012, 05:36 PM
United States, CA, Santa Monica
Joined Jul 2011
493 Posts
I figured out how to turn off brakes on the stock ESC today, anyone know the brand of it or know what the specific beepings stand for? If anyone knows how to revert to factory settings, help will be appreciated.

Thanks very much.
Lpbug is online now Find More Posts by Lpbug