SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 10, 2012, 03:06 PM
United States, WA, Auburn
Joined Dec 2011
74 Posts
AshtonFlyer: What are you using for the black trim on the wings and tail? Paint or colored tape? Looks sharp.
Javatango is offline Find More Posts by Javatango
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 03:17 PM
Australia, QLD, New Farm
Joined Apr 2011
119 Posts
Third flight with Bixler and aluminum joiner for wing spar broke.
I will have to replace it with steel.

If i want to narrow the nose, do i have to remove all laminating and laminate it again or can i keep the old laminate?
makind is offline Find More Posts by makind
Old May 10, 2012, 04:14 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
What is laminated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by makind View Post

If i want to narrow the nose, do i have to remove all laminating and laminate it again or can i keep the old laminate?
What do you mean by "laminating". I have never seen such a thing on a Bixler/SkyS?
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 10, 2012, 04:16 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101 View Post
Parkflyer plastics has one for the easystar. I haven't seen if an easystar is the same size or not. Maybe someone that has had or got both could tell us???
PARKFLYER PLASTICS EASYSTAR UPGRADE

LURCH
I mentioned it here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=12749
But doesn't seem like too many are interested. Surprising.
It would look much better than a DIY job.
Brian_ is offline Find More Posts by Brian_
Old May 10, 2012, 04:25 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makind View Post

I had a similar nose compression a few weeks ago. I first used a heat gun on both sides of the cockpit to soften up the foam walls.

I then used two Popsicle sticks and placed them on the outside of each side of the cockpit.

I then used a large clamp to keep the pop sticks against the fuse walls and increased the clamping pressure until the wall flattened out. I kept adding a little pressure until the canopy would fit into the cockpit properly. (you may want to heat the walls again to make them more pliable).

I removed the canopy and glued (hot glue) a new pop stick on each of the inside walls of the cockpit.

I then used 2 small clamps to hold the inside and outside stick against the wall. I did this for both sides.

Once the glue set up I removed the large clamp but kept the small ones in place.

I trimmed off any excess glue and removed the clamps and outside sticks. My canopy fit perfectly.

Hopefully when the fuse is back in shape your laminate will be able to be reattached.

If my explanation is confusing I will try to come up with diagrams.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Last edited by Eagle202; May 10, 2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: added some details
Old May 10, 2012, 04:55 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
I honestly think unless your landing on a course asphalt/tarmac surface and not grass, all that is needed on the plane in my opinion is a strip of 50mm fibreglass tape from the $2 shop covering about the front 30cm's of the belly.

OR something which I'm thinking of trying to get around to doing one day, is saving a few different sizes of clear plastic drink bottles and cutting them up until I find one that just happens to be closely match the profile the belly of the plane if cut the right way, or if not perfect dump the cut piece of drink bottle in REALLY hot water and then try to press mold (tape, rubberbands?) it the the plane.

PS: Like my Master Airscrew pusher 3- Blade 6x4? - I love it! My neighbour gave it to me the day after the planes maiden flight as he was highly annoyed with lucklustre performance of the stock prop!

B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old May 10, 2012, 04:56 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Glad to know I am not the only one using popsicle sticks for repairs :P
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old May 10, 2012, 04:59 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Glad to know I am not the only one using popsicle sticks for repairs :P
Cheaper than carbon rods and are easy to glue.

Have you tried toothpicks as re-bar inserted into the foam to add strength when gluing two pieces of foam together. It works.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old May 10, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Cheaper than carbon rods and are easy to glue.

Have you tried toothpicks as re-bar inserted into the foam to add strength when gluing two pieces of foam together. It works.
I've been using 3/16th wooden dowels for major repairs, luckily only had to make one of those and that was when I went down FPV a while back, haven't had to make any repairs since except landing gear once. I have learned to land softly now :P.
Old May 10, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Jan 2012
50 Posts
Finally got my Bix online for testing and ran what I thought was a 6x4 prop on stock motor. Turns out it was 6.5x4 - so after making the unintentional valley for prop clearance, I am running a 11. V 3300mAh resulting in 25A with 265 Watts. The power tops out at about 3/4 throttle producing nothing more at full bore. Curious if this setup will be okay - not overloading motor... Using a 60ESC after smoking a 20A and a 45A... But that's another issue with a shorted wire that has been resolved . Thanks!
Gotwings is offline Find More Posts by Gotwings
Old May 10, 2012, 11:27 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
I use a plastic bottle on the nose of my plane and also use a cut up bottle along the bottom of the plane. Helps when landing on asphalt. And the bottle on the nose helps with those untimely encounters with the ground nose first!!
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old May 11, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
I still think wheels give the best results :P I can land on any surface, even grass (though tall grass tends to cause flipping :P)
Old May 11, 2012, 01:25 AM
Fixed and rotary wing flyer
United States, CA, Newark
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
Prof, AJ, thanks for the replies. I managed to get the motor off, took the shaft out but had no luck straightening it out so I went ahead and ordered the 2212-6 motor and a 3.17mm prop adapter from rc timer. Bummer-more waiting...

Oh and on a side note, the second bixler I received which I bought for my dad has the exact same size shaft which I double checked with my own digital caliper. It's not 2.3mm but rather 2.38mm-2.40mm depending on where you measure on the shaft. I'm not going to bother cutting off the prop adapter because I know the 2.3mm adapters simply won't fit and I doubt I'll be able to drill them out perfect. Will just use the stock prop on his plane for now.

I can't believe they used an adapter that doesn't work with any other props, and can't believe they machined the shaft down from 3mm.
fabric8 is online now Find More Posts by fabric8
Old May 11, 2012, 01:38 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabric8 View Post
Prof, AJ, thanks for the replies. I managed to get the motor off, took the shaft out but had no luck straightening it out so I went ahead and ordered the 2212-6 motor and a 3.17mm prop adapter from rc timer. Bummer-more waiting...

Oh and on a side note, the second bixler I received which I bought for my dad has the exact same size shaft which I double checked with my own digital caliper. It's not 2.3mm but rather 2.38mm-2.40mm depending on where you measure on the shaft. I'm not going to bother cutting off the prop adapter because I know the 2.3mm adapters simply won't fit and I doubt I'll be able to drill them out perfect. Will just use the stock prop on his plane for now.

I can't believe they used an adapter that doesn't work with any other props, and can't believe they machined the shaft down from 3mm.
I completely agree with you. When I first saw that some time ago, my first reaction was "What the heck were they thinking?" It makes no sense at all. That motor and adapter you ordered will be more than satisfactory. Oh, BTW, I hope you have a 30A ESC (or larger) in stock. The stock 20amp ESC is not usable for the 2212-6. An APC 6x4E is the suggested prop for what you ordered. Keep us posted on your mod (pics please) and let us all know your experience with that motor/adapter combo.
AJ
Another thought - You can drill out a prop to 7mm and it will fit nicely on that stock adapter.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 11, 2012, 02:03 AM
Australia, QLD, New Farm
Joined Apr 2011
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
What do you mean by "laminating". I have never seen such a thing on a Bixler/SkyS?
AJ
im sorry. Laminating in my country is old expression for fiberglassing.
makind is offline Find More Posts by makind