Old Nov 12, 2010, 09:51 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Gene,

Your list sounds reasonable. I had new member of our flying club show up with Easy Star set up for FPV. It was incredible in terms of the hardware he pulled out of van. I especially liked tracking antenna on a camera tripod that kept wrapping the cord around the tripod (he was new at this). He said the entire setup cost him $2500. I used to race cars that cost me a ton of cash just to put it in on the track but in my stage of life the $55K / year tuition for my daughter to attend George Washington University puts the kibosh on such lofty priced equipment for FPV.

If you could PM me a list of entry level FPV components that would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Bill
I'll post a list for you Bill.
Everything is upgradable so nothing is wasted.
A lot of the stuff is bells and whistles. A head tracker, antenna tracker, OSD and GPS are nice if you're flying 10 miles away..(don't forget the long range UHF rx link) but just to fool around with within 1/2 mile or so is not really needed..and can be done cheaply.

I even run it on a RC Truck up and down the street and scare the neighbors.
Great fun.
Funny how most people cross the street when passing my house. Dunno why.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2010, 09:54 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
Thanks for all your help Gene. Tomorrow I will try to transfer all my Sky Surfer Favorite files to FireFox so I can do as you suggest but I'm going to bed now--My head Hurts!

Bob
Fine, but your up at 5am and I want a 5 mile double time before chow.

See you tomorrow.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:02 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
I'll post a list for you Bill.
Everything is upgradable so nothing is wasted.
A lot of the stuff is bells and whistles. A head tracker, antenna tracker, OSD and GPS are nice if you're flying 10 miles away..(don't forget the long range UHF rx link) but just to fool around with within 1/2 mile or so is not really needed..and can be done cheaply.

I even run it on a RC Truck up and down the street and scare the neighbors.
Great fun.
Funny how most people cross the street when passing my house. Dunno why.
Gene,

Thanks. I can appreciate why your neighbors walk on the other side of the street.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:23 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,243 Posts
Thanks, I just order the goggles for $105.99 shipped. Now I can be a real dweeb with my wife.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:06 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
in the background for now

Quote:
Thanks for all your help Gene. Tomorrow I will try to transfer all my Sky Surfer Favorite files to FireFox so I can do as you suggest but I'm going to bed now--My head Hurts!

Bob
It looks like 2500GENE is taking good care of you. I am around too if for any reason he gets tired. I am sure he can help you just as good or better than I can. I am anxious to see your pictures, too. From one to everyone will help you get your plane flying. You cannot wear out our patience. There are too many of us. And.... We are ALL watching YOU!!!.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Nov 13, 2010 at 12:40 AM. Reason: typo
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:14 AM
United States, IA, Keosauqua
Joined Sep 2010
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Unfortunately, probably. Try it again. Put it together exactly like you did the first time. If you put ch3 in backwards, it WILL NOT bind. I will make you a deal - If you be patient with you, I will be patient with you. Deal??
Oh, if you can send me a picture of the receiver end, we could get this handled quicker.
AJ
Can't sleep so here's a picture
Bob A is online now Find More Posts by Bob A
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:23 AM
Joined Sep 2010
276 Posts
When I click on this thumbnail there are other thumbnails that show up below. I have no idea how those got on there but do remember looking at them. This bad picture of my receiver is the only picture I have ever tried to post on here.

Bob
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:38 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,243 Posts
Quote:
Bob,

Do you have the binding instructions?

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:41 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
quick question

Quote:
Does the motor beep at all when you turn it on?
AJ
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:47 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Let's bind that thing.

Quote:
When I click on this thumbnail there are other thumbnails that show up below. I have no idea how those got on there but do remember looking at them. This bad picture of my receiver is the only picture I have ever tried to post on here.

Bob
I think these are the binding instructions for your radio:

1.) Make sure the ESC is plugged into CH # 3 (THRO) and make sure CH # 1 (AIL) is empty. (Unplug AIL servo).

2.) Do not connect the li-po to the ESC and make sure the transmitter is OFF.

3.) Plug the bind plug into CH # 1 (AIL).

4.) Make sure the throttle stick and throttle trim are both in their lowest down positions on your transmitter.

5.) Connect the li-po to the ESC.

6.) The red light on the receiver will flash. Turn on the transmitter and the center yellow light will flash.

7.) When the yellow light becomes solid remove the bind plug and connect AIL servo lead back into CH # 1.

The bind process is now complete.
AJ
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:56 AM
Joined Sep 2010
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Bob,

Do you have the binding instructions?

Bill
Don't tell me your having problems that are keeping you up late too!

The only binding instructions that came with my plane are on page98, post #1460

Bob
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:59 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
possiblity

Quote:
It looks like all of your servo (and esc) plugs are backwards. On almost all receivers, the pin closest to the center of the receiver is the signal pin. Take a look at the pic below. See how my signal pin (orange wire) is toward the center?
I am not certain about yours, though. Even if it is wrong, you are in NO danger of shorting anything out.
AJ
Old Nov 13, 2010, 01:17 AM
Joined Sep 2010
276 Posts
Quote:
I think these are the binding instructions for your radio:

1.) Make sure the ESC is plugged into CH # 3 (THRO) and make sure CH # 1 (AIL) is empty. (Unplug AIL servo).

2.) Do not connect the li-po to the ESC and make sure the transmitter is OFF.

3.) Plug the bind plug into CH # 1 (AIL).

4.) Make sure the throttle stick and throttle trim are both in their lowest down positions on your transmitter.

5.) Connect the li-po to the ESC.

6.) The red light on the receiver will flash. Turn on the transmitter and the center yellow light will flash.

7.) When the yellow light becomes solid remove the bind plug and connect AIL servo lead back into CH # 1.

The bind process is now complete.
AJ
AJ I printed this out & followed it step by step. When I reached step 6.) there was no red light flashing on the receiver. Then I turned on the transmitter anyway and nothing happened either. I don't think there is a red light on the transmitter or a yellow light on the receiver either.

Also there is a button (switch) on the transmitter labeled bind. What is it for?

Thanks for your efforts, maybe i will order the $32 Tx/Rx from Hobbypartz & see if I can make that work.

Bob
Old Nov 13, 2010, 01:41 AM
Joined Sep 2010
276 Posts
Quote:
It looks like all of your servo (and esc) plugs are backwards. On almost all receivers, the pin closest to the center of the receiver is the signal pin. Take a look at the pic below. See how my signal pin (orange wire) is toward the center?
I am not certain about yours, though. Even if it is wrong, you are in NO danger of shorting anything out.
AJ
I reversed all the connectors and made progress all the way back to square 1. It acts exactly like the initial results i posted on p98, #1460. Maybe I should forget about the ailerons & just use rudder & elevator.

Bob
Old Nov 13, 2010, 01:41 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I did the aileron mixing.. I have 1 aileron on AUX.. that was easy.. now for the flap.. I'm having a headache...
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon